Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

What's your body preference when it comes to AIPA?

Dry -- I like my AIPA like the French like their Champagne!
11 (16.9%)
Balanced -- I like the hop profile to be complimented by a malt backbone
46 (70.8%)
Sweet -- I like there to be a pronounced malt presence to offset the hop profile
2 (3.1%)
Other -- Please explain
2 (3.1%)
No pants -- The obligatory Weaze philosophy
4 (6.2%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: How do you take your AIPA, sir?  (Read 5002 times)

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
How do you take your AIPA, sir?
« on: October 26, 2010, 06:19:42 pm »
Guys,

It's fairly easy to make a drinkable AIPA.  But AIPAs have always been a little difficult for me to do really well.  Personally, my favorite examples of the style are Odell IPA and Bell's Two Hearted, which are both relatively balanced, IMO.  In other words, they have a pronounced hop presence that is complimented by a discernible malt presence.  My most recent AIPA is a bit too dry for my tastes (although the hop profile is nice).  How do you guys (and gals) prefer your AIPAs?
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
Re: How do you take your AIPA, sir?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 06:53:54 pm »
I just killed a APA with no crystal (15% Munich II.) It was good but I like it with 5-7% crystal more.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 05:15:44 am »
I prefer mine balanced, although I have had commercial examples that were pretty dry and quite tasty as well.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 05:42:50 am »
While I like my IPA on the dry side I don't want it too dry, so I chose "balanced" on the poll. I find IPA one of the easiest styles to do well. Maybe its my water.

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 06:46:35 am »
You could be on to something regarding water, Keith.  I always make sure my mash pH is correct (between 5.1-5.5), but I don't do much water adjustment beyond that.  One of my issues with my dry AIPAs is that the hop bitterness just isn't very pleasant -- it's too harsh.  A lacking mineral composition could be having an effect on the quality of the bitterness.

My most recent hop profile for AIPA was:
.33 oz Centennial, .33 oz Cascade, .33 oz Amarillo (FWH)
.50 oz Columbus (60 min)
.33 oz Centennial, .33 oz Cascade, .33 oz Amarillo (30 min)
.33 oz Centennial, .33 oz Cascade, .33 oz Amarillo (15 min)
.33 oz Centennial, .33 oz Cascade, .33 oz Amarillo (1 min)
.50 oz Centennial, .50 oz Cascade (dry hop)

O.G. 1.062, IBU 67

On the other hand, my water is almost perfectly suited for many German beers.  Alts and Helles turn out particularly well with virtually no water adjustment. 
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 07:39:36 am »
The obvious answer: "It's all about the hops"  8)

However, I like a nice supporting role from the malt without taking away from the main event (hops).  I agree Matt,  a dry IPA is not my cup of tea...errr beer  ;D  So...how does one avoid that.  Well, I think the mash temp is one factor, the hopping rate can also deliver an astrigency and the yeast can also have an impact as well. A Bell's Two Hearted is pretty well balanced more like an APA. So I would look at your mash temp first then think about your yeast selection. The hop schedule can be tweaked after that.
Ron Price

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 08:23:37 am »
+1 on the Bell's Two Hearted. It's in my top handful of favorite beers because it's very hop-forward (nothing but Centennial's I believe) but has a strong malt backbone to support it. Love my hops but the best IPA's have a good balance, not just hops. Also not too dry or too sweet. Hard to get just right, but 2hearted does the trick.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 08:24:23 am »
I like mine balanced also.  I use about 20% light Munich malt and 10% 40-50 L crystal and I get a nice malt profile without the sweetness of excessive crystal malts.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline stlaleman

• Assistant Brewer
    • Penrose Picobrewery
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 09:28:30 am »
Balanced is good, use Maris Otter with about 5% 30L Crystal. Good malt background. Mix of Chinook, Centennial, and Cascade

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 09:36:46 am »
I had to go with "other".

I like balanced AIPAs, I also like them dry.  I also like them when they're on the sweeter side.  It all depends on my mood, what I'm eating, time of day, phase of the moon, I don't know.  There was no "all of the above" option, so I picked other.  Maybe I should have chosen no pants.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 09:56:42 am »

I like balanced AIPAs, I also like them dry.  I also like them when they're on the sweeter side.  It all depends on my mood, what I'm eating, time of day, phase of the moon, I don't know.  There was no "all of the above" option, so I picked other.  Maybe I should have chosen no pants.

Just as long as your pants are on when you leave the house to go to work.   :-\ ;)  :D 
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 09:59:27 am »
"Balanced" is in the glass of the beerholder!  I like mine "balanced" toward a big face slap of bitterness!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 10:05:02 am »
"Balanced" is in the glass of the beerholder! 

So true.  Beer tasting is very subjective and there as many opinions as there are tasters.
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 10:07:04 am »

Just as long as your pants are on when you leave the house to go to work.   :-\ ;)  :D 
They usually are. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 10:57:48 am »
IPAs are mostly what I drink.  I prefer more of a balance between malt and hops, with no over the top bitterness.  I like them dry also as long as they're not just bitter, but have a great hop flavor/aroma.  Most of the IPAs I brew come out dry because I use US-05 a lot and that yeast tends to attenuate like a fox.  But I don't hop the hell out of my bittering addition either; most of the hops I add to the boil are near the end.  So dry (or malty), not too bitter, and a bombshell of hop flavor and aroma.  I guess you could call that "other"...
Jesse