Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

Currently what's the oldest homebrew (batch & bottle aging) you have in storage?

I brew session beers only
less than 6 months
6 month - 1 year
1-2 year
2 - 4 years
5+ years

Author Topic: Aging Homebrew Poll  (Read 7254 times)

jaybeerman

Aging Homebrew Poll
« on: October 28, 2010, 02:28:09 pm »
Having just read the "aging beer" thread while sipping on a year old 14% abv braggot I figured that it would be interesting to see how long everyone else is aging their brew.  Currently, I fall in the "1-2 year" category; I have a keg of 12 1/2 month old RIS and this braggot.  Within the month though i hope to start a batch of "bastard flemish something" and a batch of tripel (think tripel karmeliet), both of which will see significant aging.  If you fall in the 5+ years category; please tell us about the changes in flavor along the way and any other details you're willing to share.

[edit] I guess I should have mentioned that I have an autumn wheat on-tap, an ipa in secondary and a session stout in primary.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 04:05:23 pm by jaybeerman »

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
Re: Aging Homebrew Poll
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 03:34:38 pm »
Difficult to answer the poll...  usually, don't age my beers.  Just wait for them to carbonate, and start drinking.  Others I will age until their gone.  :P

My oaked imperial stout is collecting dust though... I plan to keep it as long as I can keep my greasy fingers off it.  So far, it's a little over 1.5 yrs old.  I've got a bottle of my second batch of beer ever back from 2008.  The beer sucked, but haven't got myself to dump it or try it.  I'm not sure what's going to happen to it.   ???

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 03:46:42 pm »
It all depends on the individual beer.  There's no "one size fits all" answer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 04:05:14 pm »
Yeah, I have beers that I drink right away, and others that need (or that I want) to age.  I'm not sure how old the oldest ones are, I'm doing a good job of pretending they're not there. :)
Tom Schmidlin

jaybeerman

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 04:08:45 pm »
NOTICE

I rephrased the poll.  For the sake of this poll I'm speaking of brews that are appropriate to age (i.e. if you have a two year old mild ale, I don't want to hear about it :) )

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 04:19:00 pm »
Yeah, I have beers that I drink right away, and others that need (or that I want) to age.  I'm not sure how old the oldest ones are, I'm doing a good job of pretending they're not there. :)

that last part is the key, pretending they're not there or having the willpower not to drink them even when you know they're available can be a b****. but if you've got the willpower, it can be incredibly rewarding. though I've got a few of my homebrews cellaring, most of my aged collection are commercial beers....... mostly barleywines, RIS, and belgians of a variety of styles. I've got a few that date to the late 80's, but most are significantly younger from babies to 10-12 years old.

when I first started dating my wife, she found my beer closet and had moments of wondering if she'd gotten involved with an alcoholic. I'm trying to build my stash, but it's difficult - space, money, limited willpower. I'll never get to be like my friend Jim Ritchhart, though I'd really like too!! He's got cases of beer, some  going back to the 60's-70's, possibly a few significantly older than that.

luckily, he's willing to share. we've did a vertical tasting of Thomas Hardy going back to the first examples in the mid-60's, 1965 was the first I think. That was truly an amazing afternoon.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

jaybeerman

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 04:19:21 pm »
It all depends on the individual beer.  There's no "one size fits all" answer.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious Denny. ;)  Do you have multiple brews aging long term? If so, I'd like to hear about them.  Thanks

jaybeerman

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 04:31:31 pm »

I'm trying to build my stash, but it's difficult - space, money, limited willpower. I'll never get to be like my friend Jim Ritchhart, though I'd really like too!! He's got cases of beer, some  going back to the 60's-70's, possibly a few significantly older than that.

luckily, he's willing to share. we've did a vertical tasting of Thomas Hardy going back to the first examples in the mid-60's, 1965 was the first I think. That was truly an amazing afternoon.

Ok, you've nailed the spirit of this thread/poll.  I remember the first time I had a properly aged beer, it was a six year old Hibernation Ale and it seriously brought tears to my eyes.  Since then I've had many TH's dating back to '87 which is an incredible experience, one that more brewers should have the opportunity to experience.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 04:34:40 pm »
I have a few beers over 6 years of age. Most of the beers I brew are brewed to be consumed young, though.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 04:44:55 pm »
I voted session even though I may age a few month at times.

I don't guess drinking out of the fermenter counts as aging :'(
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

jaybeerman

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 05:10:26 pm »

No, but don't feel that you're alone

Offline witsok

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 05:14:00 pm »
I have a barleywine going on nine years, down to the last few bottle.  I also have a RIS that is going on seven years.  It not uncommon for me to have stuff around that is 2-3 years old.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 05:55:33 pm »
I have a couple of bottles of 8 year old AM. barleywine.  Last time I a had one from this batch, it had some sherry notes, and had mostly malt left in the flavor.  What you would expect for one of these.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 06:04:57 pm »
I voted session even though I may age a few month at times.

Your liver might differ...  ;D

Just kicked the 2nd keg of an Old Rasputin Clone (1.2 yrs old) aged in the basement in mid-Mi at ambient. Deelish. My oldest beer to date. Loves me some fresh IPA's primarily...
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline Tim McManus

• Assistant Brewer
    • Haskell Brewing Company
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 06:52:32 pm »
I have a 12-year-old maple syrup porter.  It tasted like rocket fuel when I made it, so I decided to age it in a keg.  I left it in the corner and gassed it every month to make sure it was still under pressure.  Right now it tastes very similar to Sam Adams Triple Bock, the ones in the blue bottles.  I serve it in 9 oz. glasses around the holidays and have about 1/4 of the keg left.  It's got a serious kick to it.

Normally we age ales 1-2 months, and they last 3-4 weeks after they're tapped.  Lagers go about 3-4 months in the fridge, and they too only last about 3-4 weeks in the keg.  We have a scotch ale that's been in the carboy for 10 months, and that's long for us.
Tim McManus
Haskell, NJ