Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is this keg aluminum? Can I ferment in an Aluminum container?  (Read 6419 times)

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
Is this keg aluminum? Can I ferment in an Aluminum container?
« on: November 11, 2010, 02:49:32 pm »
Why do they insulate these kegs with rubber?
Does any one know if this keg is stainless steel? Or is it aluminum? 
If this keg is aluminum, is there any reason not to ferment in aluminum. I'm fermenting a Belgian golden ale that will be transfered into a 10gal oak barrel for aging and souring.   

edit: this beer has been fermenting for 5 days in this keg.  If this keg is made of aluminum can I still drink this beer?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 03:25:47 pm by pyrite »
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Is this keg aluminum? Can I ferment in an Aluminum container?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 02:53:19 pm »
I'm pretty use that fermented beer pH is too low for AL.  I always _assumed_ those kegs were coated for thermal reasons, but I really don't know.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 02:59:05 pm »
I think they are coated to help with dents and dings. If its AL it will be coated on the inside, if its raw metal its a good bet that it is SS.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 04:36:13 pm »
The brewers that I know that use coated kegs say they are stainless on the inside.  I don't know about that one though.  I think tubercle is right though, that it is to protect them from dents and help them last longer.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 04:51:43 pm »
edit: this beer has been fermenting for 5 days in this keg.  If this keg is made of aluminum can I still drink this beer?

Assuming the aluminium = alzheimers thing is really just a myth i think the problem with fermenting in it would be that the metal would get pitted. I suppose if enough of it went into solution you might get nasty taste from it but I am not a chemist.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 05:03:37 pm »
It looks like a beer keg.  If they've been storing beer in it, I think it would be safe to drink beer that had been fermented in it.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 05:06:54 pm »
It looks like a beer keg.  If they've been storing beer in it, I think it would be safe to drink beer that had been fermented in it.

Oh shoot man, good call. I was worried for a minute about getting Alzheimer's disease.  Wow that took a lot of the stress off.
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.