Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Spilled Yeast while making Starter  (Read 5129 times)

Offline brewstev

• Steve Parr
  • 1st Kit
    • HomebrewersAssociation.org
Spilled Yeast while making Starter
« on: November 12, 2010, 09:00:59 am »
Hey guys. Was making a starting yesterday evening with abotu 1 quart of water and a half cup of DME, just before adding the yeast I made the genius decision to shake the vial before opening and I lost probably a little more than 1/3 of the yeast to spewage/spill....

I poured what was left into the starter bottle. The brew that I will be making has an OG of 1.070. Will i need to add more yeast to the starter due to spillage?? or should i be fine since one of the main reasons starters are made is to increase cell count any way?

I know i should just not worry and grab a homebrew....but i'm Just trying to decide if I should pitch whatever the starter gives me, or start all over... Any suggestions? i mean is there a minimum amount of yeast required to make a starter of that size? This is only my second attempt at making a starter. I have two days till Brew Day. Thanks for the help!
Assistant Director
American Homebrewers Association

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Spilled Yeast while making Starter
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 09:20:12 am »
You should be fine...I'd just go ahead as planned.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Tim McManus

• Assistant Brewer
    • Haskell Brewing Company
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 09:38:11 am »
You're making a starter.  Don't sweat it.  You should have enough yeast cells in the starter to kick off a decent brew.
Tim McManus
Haskell, NJ

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 09:57:55 am »
A 1 qt starter (regardless of spillage) seems a little small for a 1.070 brew to me.
Joe

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 10:10:08 am »
A 1 qt starter (regardless of spillage) seems a little small for a 1.070 brew to me.

Agreed.  I'd go with double or triple that size.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 10:13:58 am »

Agreed.  I'd go with double or triple that size.
Yeah, since you have the time step it up so you'll have more yeast.  Make another starter and add some of the first starter you made to grow more yeast.  The pitch whatever you have.  If you have the containers to make a larger starter or more than one starter at a time, do it.  You'll be happy you went through the effort.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline brewstev

• Steve Parr
  • 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 10:19:46 am »
so make another 2 quarts with DME and add to the container that the yeast is currently added to? should i wait till krasuen forms or just ASAP
Assistant Director

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 10:24:26 am »
If there's space, then I'd add the 2 qts.  And doing it ASAP is no problem, 3 qts is a lot less than 2/3 of a vial usually gets added to :)  If you do it now then you'll have more time for it to finish so you can chill and decant the starter and just pitch the yeast.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 10:24:31 am »
so make another 2 quarts with DME and add to the container that the yeast is currently added to? should i wait till krasuen forms or just ASAP

Since you got the starter going last night, you should be able to add to it any time you want.  Don't need to wait.
Joe

Offline brewstev

• Steve Parr
  • 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 10:26:29 am »
great. thanks for all the help. so by  "chill and decant" does that just mean toss it in the fridge for some time, then pour out the liquid once yeast has settled? do i want to warm up the yeast to room temp before pitching?
Assistant Director

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 10:28:48 am »
great. thanks for all the help. so by  "chill and decant" does that just mean toss it in the fridge for some time, then pour out the liquid once yeast has settled? do i want to warm up the yeast to room temp before pitching?
Yes, once it's done fermenting, chill it in the fridge and pour out the liquid leaving the yeast behind.  It is better if you let the yeast warm to pitching temps before you add it to the wort.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 10:31:16 am »
It is better if you let the yeast warm to pitching temps before you add it to the wort.

Tom, the last few years the "conventional wisdom" has been to not let the yeast warm up before pitching.  The rationale given is that if you warm the yeast up, it will start consuming its nutrient reserves before hitting the wort, and will be less vigorous once pitched.  Do you disagree with that line of thought?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 11:30:05 am »
It is better if you let the yeast warm to pitching temps before you add it to the wort.

Tom, the last few years the "conventional wisdom" has been to not let the yeast warm up before pitching.  The rationale given is that if you warm the yeast up, it will start consuming its nutrient reserves before hitting the wort, and will be less vigorous once pitched.  Do you disagree with that line of thought?
I haven't heard that.  I wonder what they're doing to their yeast that the nutrient reserves are low?  And why is there not an abundance of nutrients in the media that is left behind?  I'm not talking about letting it sit at room temp for days, but in an hour or so coming up to 60F . . . well, what are the yeast doing with their nutrients?  Not growing presumably, since there's no sugar present.  I think I need more details about which nutrients they mean . . .  :-\  I've never had a problem doing it my way though.

I guess if that's really a concern and you want to worry about everything then you can temper the yeast by adding small amount of wort at pitching temp to your chilled yeast to bring it up to the same temp.  But that's probably overkill and more than people really need to worry about.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 11:33:07 am »

Preferably after 24 hrs or so... but you can add it sooner or later if you want.
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 11:45:17 am »

Tom, the last few years the "conventional wisdom" has been to not let the yeast warm up before pitching.  The rationale given is that if you warm the yeast up, it will start consuming its nutrient reserves before hitting the wort, and will be less vigorous once pitched.  Do you disagree with that line of thought?
I haven't heard that.  I wonder what they're doing to their yeast that the nutrient reserves are low?  And why is there not an abundance of nutrients in the media that is left behind?  I'm not talking about letting it sit at room temp for days, but in an hour or so coming up to 60F . . . well, what are the yeast doing with their nutrients?  Not growing presumably, since there's no sugar present.  I think I need more details about which nutrients they mean . . .  :-\  I've never had a problem doing it my way though.

I guess if that's really a concern and you want to worry about everything then you can temper the yeast by adding small amount of wort at pitching temp to your chilled yeast to bring it up to the same temp.  But that's probably overkill and more than people really need to worry about.

It's my understanding that pitching more than  +-10 degrees of the wort temp will potentially shock the yeast...

Denny, Tom...??
Ron Price