Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's the most you've ever done in a weekend?  (Read 5216 times)

Offline Wheat_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bad Bunny Brewing
What's the most you've ever done in a weekend?
« on: November 13, 2010, 07:06:48 am »
Seems like everybody that posts is doing something with 2-3 batches (bottling, racking, brewing, etc) at any given time on our weekends.  Out of curiosity, what's your personal record for brewing or moving in a weekend?
AHA Lifetime Member

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: What's the most you've ever done in a weekend?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 07:57:04 am »
I have done 2 ten gallon batches pitched onto yeast cakes in one day so that means kegging 20 gallons and brewing 20 gallons.  It was a a pretty long intense day so I probably won't do that again soon.  Two weekends ago  I brewed 10 gallons of Imperial oatmeal stout, a 10 gallons of rye IPA and 5 gallons of crabapple cider.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 08:19:18 am »
Gawd...I try not to think about those weekends.  ;)

But seriously. I've made ten gallons, kegged ten gallons and bottled five gallons for a total of 25 gallons of beer processing in one weekend. Keep in mind that I only have a 10 gallon system whereas I know of some other folks here that have have upwards of 45 gallon systems, but it's the motions that one has to go through in order to process any given quantity that is important here.

Cheers
Ron Price

Offline Tim McManus

• Assistant Brewer
    • Haskell Brewing Company
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 08:23:54 am »
Brewed three 10-gallon all grain batches back-to-back and kegged two 10-gallon batches.  It was a 15-hour day.  Good times, good times.
Tim McManus
Haskell, NJ

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 08:30:39 am »
This weekend (well, including Monday) I'm bottling three five gallon batches and brewing two more.  That's pretty close to the most I've ever done in a weekend. 
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 10:32:24 am »
I think for me it's 2 10 gal. batches, one no sparge and the other the 2nd runnings.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 11:22:46 am »
I've done 10 gallons of IPA, 10 gallons of Scottish 60/-, and 5 gallons of Saison in one weekend, but I don't recall if I also kegged anything.  That kind of schedule only happens when my wife takes the kids somewhere and I have to stay behind and do a little work at the lab maintaining experiments. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 11:26:37 am »
I think I've brewed five batches in one weekend (3 Saturday, 2 Sunday) a few times when in NHC mode.  Don't recall the batch sizes; probably 5, but some could have been 10.  Both fit on my system, and it's not much extra work/time.  Depends on how much I need.  One batch takes about 5 hours; each additional batch adds about 2 hours.  Better have all your supplies stored up, especially propane and water...

Don't remember if there was racking/packaging going on at the same time.  I often do keg maintenance and other random beer things while brewing, although when I stack up batches like this, I'm usually prepping the next batch while brewing the current batch.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline rbclay

• Assistant Brewer
  • Northfield, MN
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 11:47:45 am »
It might be this weekend for me! 5 gallons Dark Mild on Thursday, 5 gallons Cream Ale last night/this morning, another 5 gallons Hobgoblin Brown Ale tonight. I'd brew tomorrow night too but the Steelers are on!
Randy Clay
Milltown Mashers
https://www.facebook.com/groups/404574082932834/
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 12:36:17 pm »
A friend has 3 systems and usually does 2 10 gal. and 1 5 gal. batch simultaneously.  On more than one occasion, he's forgotten which was which when it came to hop additions!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 01:33:33 pm »
with my old single propane burner setup it took 8 hours to brew 5 gallons, but with my 3 tiered converted keg system I routinely do 10 gallons in 6 hours.

Offline Wheat_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bad Bunny Brewing
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 02:18:23 pm »
with my old single propane burner setup it took 8 hours to brew 5 gallons, but with my 3 tiered converted keg system I routinely do 10 gallons in 6 hours.

Wow!! 8 hours?!  I think with cleaning included, and an all grain recipe the longest I've done is 5 hours. 
AHA Lifetime Member

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 02:59:40 pm »

Wow!! 8 hours?!  I think with cleaning included, and an all grain recipe the longest I've done is 5 hours. 
It was a really inefficient set up. Close to an hour to heat the strike water with my crappy burner and mill the grains.   I mashed in my kettle, then transferred the mash to a ZapPap for lautering. Then I had to clean the kettle before I could start sparging.   Fly sparging with a saucepan took at least an hour, usually more.  Then getting a boil took almost an hour.  My  how time flew while I has having such a good time.

Offline zymurgy4all

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 03:46:04 pm »
Well I will have to say it wasn't a weekend, but this past Veteran's day (Thursday).  Since I was off work and a veteran of OIF, I decided to have a personal day of brewing all day long.  I brewed 10+ gallons of pale ale on my all-grain system, started a 5 gallon batch of cider, and brewed two different extract 5 gallon batches in the evening with one of the cadets I sponsor.  I now have 25 gallons fermenting at my house.  I'm completely worn out, but it sure is comforting to know how much beverage is on the way!

Cheers,
Stephen

Offline pweis909

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 05:08:39 pm »
Two.  Whether we're talking starting a beer or bottling, my record is two.  Two in one day.  Not too long ago, I added to a thread about biggest screw-ups.  All of my wost mistakes come when I try to do too much at once.  My schedule doesn't permit me to brew so often, so I am tempted to try to double up when I get the chance.  For me, doubling up = screwing up.