Author Topic: dinner ideas  (Read 438 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Mecca, Ohio
    • View Profile
dinner ideas
« on: October 13, 2014, 06:56:59 PM »
Been a long time since I've done any serious cooking. Was really getting a good handle on it a couple years ago. My new girl it's an AMAZING cook. But, I want to prove I have skills too. I need some ideas, gentlemen. She's not picky, agree likes about anything.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline pete b

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Barre, Ma
    • View Profile
Re: dinner ideas
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 07:50:48 PM »
i'm into duck lately. Duck breast is fast, easy, and impressive. I usually peel off the skin and cut it into little strips and render the fat in a 350 degree oven. I use a liitle fat to cook the duck in. Cook the breast fast, leaving it rare then take off the heat and wrap in foil. It will continue to cook just a bit so its uniformly pink throughout. Meanwhile make any sauce you like in the pan. I've recently done a sauce based on fresh tomatoes and garlic and also one using apple cider syrup. I usually finish a sauce with butter or cream. You can fry up those skin craclings to make a delicious garnish. We have nice celeriac in the garden so I have been serving it over pureed celeriac. Slice the breast super thi, arrange over the celeriac and cover with sauce then cracklings. Braised greens are a good side, like kale with lemon, garlic and the rest of the duck fat.
Pants are recomended when handling hot duck fat. ( but not cool duck fat)
Renunciation is not giving up the things of the world, but accepting that they go away.
Suzuki Roshi

Offline erockrph

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 09:34:29 PM »
My go-to is Steak au Poivre. Flaming off the alcohol always looks cool (but can be scary as hell), and it's pretty simple.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/steak-au-poivre-recipe.html

Tangent - I've always meant to try this recipe with pork chops and cacao nibs instead of steak and peppercorn.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 07:26:51 AM »
Last Saturday I made a very good barley risotto with herb-stuffed chicken. It was really tasty and only a moderate level of time and work.

If you are not afraid to pin yourself to your kitchen all day osso bucco is reasonably easy to make but takes a long time to cook. It's worth the effort IMO.

For less time spent in the kitchen, pan fried fish or tenderloin is always a good option with an oven roasted vegetable and/or starch.

Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing but I'm also a lawyer: The Kielich Law Firm

Offline pete b

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Barre, Ma
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 09:49:26 AM »
Last Saturday I made a very good barley risotto with herb-stuffed chicken. It was really tasty and only a moderate level of time and work.

If you are not afraid to pin yourself to your kitchen all day osso bucco is reasonably easy to make but takes a long time to cook. It's worth the effort IMO.

For less time spent in the kitchen, pan fried fish or tenderloin is always a good option with an oven roasted vegetable and/or starch.
+1 to ossobucco. Yes it takes a long time, but not much of that time is hands on. Ditto to lamb shanks. Melt in your mouth.
Renunciation is not giving up the things of the world, but accepting that they go away.
Suzuki Roshi

Offline chumley

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 07:58:04 AM »
Yeah, I like braised lamb shanks a lot.  I just cut up an antelope I shot last weekend, and saved the shanks of it for braising.

Here's a pretty good pasta recipe for sausage and mushrooms in cream sauce.  I tweaked it by doubling the amount of sausage, mushrooms and garlic.

http://www.kcet.org/living/food/the-public-kitchen/recipe-pasta-alla-norcina.html

Offline HoosierBrew

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 08:31:45 AM »
I grilled duck breast and asparagus, and served with roasted garlic smashed potatoes yesterday. Mighty fine meal.
Jon H.