Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: green chiles  (Read 7979 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: green chiles
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 04:46:20 pm »
Bump...old topic new post.  Got a 1/2 bushel of chilies today.  1/4 extra hot  1/4 hot (not to me) will be peeling
and preserving chilies...smell so good charring in the basket
I'm confused about what I'm looking at.  I see that it's a basket with a bunch of chilies in it.  You rotate it I assume to get uniform charring?  What/where is the heat source?

1/2 bushel of chilies . . . awesome :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 05:09:14 pm »
Bump...old topic new post.  Got a 1/2 bushel of chilies today.  1/4 extra hot  1/4 hot (not to me) will be peeling
and preserving chilies...smell so good charring in the basket
I'm confused about what I'm looking at.  I see that it's a basket with a bunch of chilies in it.  You rotate it I assume to get uniform charring?  What/where is the heat source?

1/2 bushel of chilies . . . awesome :)

You light a fire under it or use a brush torch. I did mine a while back in the egg; roasted and peeled 10 pounds which is about 1/4 case. Maybe a bit less. Spread on parchment paper and then covered with saran wrap- rolled up and frozen, I have enough to last though till next year.

No need for the big drum if you don't mind spending some time on the burners of your stove. Gas or electric. Then drop in plastic bag. Peel when cooled. Speaking of chiles- Just roasted and peeled 5 poblano's. Torn into wide strips and layered with salt and macerating in high-quality olive oil. This'll be eaten with pasta or crusty french bread and cheese.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 06:59:02 pm »
Awesome.  What do you pay per pound for chilies?  I imagine it's a lot cheaper than here, but even here they're not that bad, ~$2-$4 per pound depending on variety.  More for things like habeneros.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2011, 07:12:01 pm »
Tom that is a cell phone pic...just snapped on the spur of the moment.  If you look closely there
is a propane hose in the photo on the lower right hand side of that basket...the basket is motorized
there is a burner on the other side as well...It just spins and the torches char and heat the peppas...
then they bag em up and while they are still hot they cook in the bag and the skin goes slack. You
can then slide the skin off easily when they cool enough to handle.  WEAR NITRILE gloves...!!!~
I bought 40 bux worth which finished out into 5ea. 1 gallon ziploc baggies full....No idea the wieght.

Edit...there is considerable waste when you process them yourself...they are so hard to seperate
from the seed stem end...that you just want to cut off the seed end and deal with the rest. These
were not so thick fleshed...which IMO would be better to deal with...the thin flesh is clingy and
does not seperate well from the seed or the skin as compared to the thick fleshed ones...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 07:16:21 pm by 1vertical »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 08:31:58 pm »
Man, that's excellent.  There's no place to get them cooked like that around here, at least as far as I know.

Then again, there's probably no place to get fresh dungeness crab there, so it's a tradeoff. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2011, 10:10:46 pm »
Man, that's excellent.  There's no place to get them cooked like that around here, at least as far as I know.

Then again, there's probably no place to get fresh dungeness crab there, so it's a tradeoff. :)
One of the signature smells around here is that of chilis roasting in every store parking lot.  It's probably like woodfire in some areas, it tells you summer is ending and fall is just around the corner.  This week I have to go and get a bushel.  I'm down to a couple of pounds left from last year, that just won't fly.
I buy mine off the tailgate of a farm truck outside of Artesia NM, about 30 miles from here.  Last year a bushel was $18 roasted, and they have very hot(Barker), hot(Sandia) and Big Jim, which are milder but very thick fleshed and great for rellenos..  Last year's Big Jims were hotter than the medium Hatch chile being sold down here.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

jaybeerman

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2011, 04:11:31 am »

tom, You can get crabs around here  :) (I could point you toward several different clubs but I'm not going with)

vert, is that your roaster?  if so, how cool is that. Man, I can't wait to go get some fresh roasted chiles this year.  It's possible that the smell of chiles roasting is equal to the smell of thowing fresh (are ya happy tom?) hops into the whirlpool. 

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2011, 06:12:45 am »
Nah not my roaster, that is a tailgater like corky was talking about  ::)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2011, 08:50:37 pm »

tom, You can get crabs around here  :) (I could point you toward several different clubs but I'm not going with)

vert, is that your roaster?  if so, how cool is that. Man, I can't wait to go get some fresh roasted chiles this year.  It's possible that the smell of chiles roasting is equal to the smell of thowing fresh (are ya happy tom?) hops into the whirlpool. 

yes :)
Tom Schmidlin

jaybeerman

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2011, 12:24:42 am »
Edit...there is considerable waste when you process them yourself...they are so hard to seperate
from the seed stem end...that you just want to cut off the seed end and deal with the rest. These
were not so thick fleshed...which IMO would be better to deal with...the thin flesh is clingy and
does not seperate well from the seed or the skin as compared to the thick fleshed ones

do they (the tailgaters) mist the chiles with water as they're roasting them?  this seems to be the biggest aid, that and letting the chiles rest for at least a few hours in a sealed bag before you mess with them.  I've had good and bad batches, even when purchasing from my fav roaster

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2011, 12:40:23 am »
jay, they put em in sealed zip locks and marinated there until cooled enough to
handle. I just noticed a bit difference between varieties. The Ex=hot thin fleshed
dawgs were tough to clean and hell you would not want a lot of em anyhow they
are some kind of potent. ;D

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2011, 01:02:06 am »
I let'em cool to room temp in the bag then peel. The trick is to char them quick while the flesh still remains firm. Take too long and they start to lose integrity.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

jaybeerman

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2011, 01:20:08 am »
jay, they put em in sealed zip locks and marinated there until cooled enough to
handle.

ah...If I had lime I'd be making a batch of the mexican pesto right now (every time i look at this thread I get the urge).  

I have to go and get a bushel.  I'm down to a couple of pounds left from last year, that just won't fly.

same here.  

I let'em cool to room temp in the bag then peel. The trick is to char them quick while the flesh still remains firm. Take too long and they start to lose integrity.

agreed on all points.

last year one of the workers (from the farm where I buy my roasted chiles) handed me my box of roasted chiles and said, "make sure you let these chiles rest overnight" and then she walked away.  that's the only time I've ever heard that thought and I couldn't get her attention before she walked away.  i'm still not sure what to think of her comment

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2011, 02:48:57 pm »
OH man I went and got 4 more gallon baggies of Mild thick fleshed fresh roasted chilies...
then I made some green chili to die for good.  The stuff just rules for good eatin. Lots of
scoleville units ..just rules. ;)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 02:52:43 pm by 1vertical »

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2011, 02:54:22 pm »
I can't stop eating them! :D