Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

Do you care about cold break in your fermenter?

Yes
13 (25%)
No
34 (65.4%)
Never thought about it before
5 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: Do you care about cold break in your fermenter?  (Read 17361 times)

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
Do you care about cold break in your fermenter?
« on: December 03, 2010, 01:12:05 pm »
Recently I switched from an immersion chiller with a whirlpool arm to a plate chiller (thermonator).  One thing that I like about the immersion chiller is that I could let the cold break settle in the kettle before I transfered.  With the plate chiller I can still whirlpool to avoid transfering hot break but the cold break is ending up in the fermenter.  I do not have a conical with a dump valve so it stays there.  I have seen many opinions from forums, Noonans book on lagers, old Brewing Technique articles, ect. that all seem to vary a bit in the net effect of cold break on fermentation, finished beer, stability, ect. but haven't fully decided whether it's truely impacts my homebrew.

For some reason it DOES really bug me now that I'm transfering ALL the cold break.... but I'm also to lazy to do anything about it (i.e. allow the beer to settle in one carboy then transfer to another carboy) unless I'm positive there is an advantage.  For me, that will mean continuing to tast test my beer and see if I percieve any change in flavor.

Anyone else ponder this question and have an opinion as it relates to the homebrewer?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 01:14:53 pm by James Lorden »
James Lorden
Beer Drinker Beer Maker & Beer Judge

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Do you care about cold break in your fermenter?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 01:36:45 pm »
Fahgettabout it!

I don't worry about cold break too much, it doesn't adversely affect your beer.  So in short, I don't make and effort to keep it out of the fermenter, but it also don't try to get it in there either.  If it does, it does...whatevs.
Jesse

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 01:46:38 pm »
I used to worry about it, but after a while realized the hugely diminishing returns in trying to keep it out. I use an immersion chiller, and siphon out of the BK into the fermentor. I do let the wort settle in the BK for 15-20 minutes after chilling while I do some cleaning and sanitizing. Then I siphon from the top and slowly move the racking cane down, getting mostly clear wort. If I suck up some cold break on the way, I don't stress it.
Mark Gres

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 01:51:24 pm »
you need some, but not all of it.

I like to try and leave some of it behind (or dump it at high krausen) as I prefer to keep my yeast slurry harvest a little cleaner.

that said, I didn't worry about it for 5+ years and never had an issue either  ;)
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 01:54:04 pm »
James Lorden
Beer Drinker Beer Maker & Beer Judge

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 02:51:36 pm »
No worries here.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 03:03:42 pm »
I also use the Therminator and haven't had any concerns or issues with cold break in the fermenter.
Ron Price

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 03:23:34 pm »

I like to try and leave some of it behind (or dump it at high krausen) as I prefer to keep my yeast slurry harvest a little cleaner.

that said, I didn't worry about it for 5+ years and never had an issue either  ;)

Paul, how do you dump it?  Do you have conicals?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 03:28:17 pm »
I don't care if it all ends up in the fermenter, though the whole hops catch some of it. AFAIK people who like to brew super clear lagers want to leave out most or all the trub.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline blatz

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 03:35:12 pm »

Paul, how do you dump it?  Do you have conicals?

sorry yes I do - but prior to having a conical, I never worried about cold break all that much.

another similar way to do it with buckets or carboys would be to run off from your kettle into a fermentor, let the break settle then siphon into a second fermentor, leaving as much or as little CB behind as you want.  I was too lazy to do that more than once though.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 03:37:10 pm »
AFAIK people who like to brew super clear lagers want to leave out most or all the trub.

Not necessarily....see http://hbd.org/discus/messages/40327/41534.html
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blatz

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 03:39:23 pm »
I don't care if it all ends up in the fermenter, though the whole hops catch some of it. AFAIK people who like to brew super clear lagers want to leave out most or all the trub.

I've done lagers in carboys with all the CB in it, and lagers in a conical with 2 trub dumps (1 prior to pitching, 1 at high krausen) and they are always crystal clear.  YMMV

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 03:47:30 pm »
No practical experience with that on my part guys. Good to know about flavor- which is what I've always suspected but was more thinking of clarity issues. But again I brew ales and don't care about bright lagers. ::)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 04:56:52 pm »
I don't worry about it at all.   I generally shoot for 5.5 gallons post boil so when I get to that, I quit transferring.  Whatever (if any) is left in the kettle, I let settle, dilute, and pressure can for starters.
Joe

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
Kia posted this somewhere. There is some English at page 76.

http://mediatum.ub.tum.de/doc/619244/619244.pdf

"In terms of the final beer quality, neither an increased lauter turbidity of wort nor a hot trub
addition to wort leads to a significant deterioration of flavor quality, flavor stability, haze
stability, and foam stability."

It doesn't say cold break but the hot break is there and they didn't vorlauf so the cold break has to be there too.