Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: +1 to Cargill Malt  (Read 7077 times)

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
+1 to Cargill Malt
« on: November 27, 2009, 12:34:20 pm »
They were a sponsor for a category in a local beer competition.
To my surprise I got a letter saying Congratulations for winning the Light/Hybrid category and it came with an ID number plus a phone number.
The certificate was good for a free bag of malt, my choosing!

Pretty damn cool prize, it arrived this week.

Now I have 55lbs of Munich to use up  8)
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
Re: +1 to Cargill Malt
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 12:36:16 pm »
SWEET!!!! ;)
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 02:30:17 pm »
Yeah - its pretty cool - I got one earlier this year - went with German Pilsner Malt.  It was pretty good though not as good as Best.

But the price was much better!

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline crabber

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 07:33:31 pm »
I have ten gallons of late-season O-fest made with Cargill Munich lagering right now.  The jury's still out.  I've used both the Pils and Munich from Cargill and everything's been uninteresting so far, though I still have quite a bit left.

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 07:42:31 pm »
I chose Dingemans Munich
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline pashusa

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 10:20:55 pm »
that is a sweet prize. Bonas. And congrats on the win.
I wasn't even in town that day, I swear.

Offline karlh

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 01:01:39 pm »
I have won sacks from cargille twice... the first time they let me get a sack of Dingemans Pale which was great, and the second I had to get "cargille" label only.  I went for their euro style pils malt, and my efficiency went down the tubes (about 20% drop both with a single 150F infusion and a 120F rest, 150F sacc. rest).  I loved the prize, but had a lot of frustration predicting my gravity with the cargille brand pils malt... both batches were way below the predicted gravity on a system that is extremely predictable.  I am not sure if it was the sack or the product, so it may have just been a single sack of slack malt.  The remainder sits unused until I run out of rahr malt.
Karl
Mundelein, IL  USA

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 01:51:46 pm »
I went for their euro style pils malt, and my efficiency went down the tubes (about 20% drop both with a single 150F infusion and a 120F rest, 150F sacc. rest).
I wonder if this was LOW modify malt (for decoction mashing).
You could find this on "malt analysis sheet".
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline karlh

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 05:45:16 am »
Cargille's data sheet on the product is virtually identical in composition to their pale malt.  The key difference is a slightly lighter color.  The main difference in the product description is a slight "grassiness" in the flavor.  As I mentioned previously, I suspect the sack could have been slack malt (high moisture leading to low efficiency) but I do not have a scale that allows me to easily weigh 50 pounds on arrival.  I loved the Dingemans product I received from them, and have a friend who swears by Cargille malt, but I did not have a good experience with the Cargill Euro Pils I received. 
Karl
Mundelein, IL  USA

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 07:58:33 am »
that's very interesting about the grassiness comment - the German Pils I have on tap now (though its almost gone) has a very distinct grassy aroma that I thought was hops going bad, though I had not noticed it in the beers made right before and after with the same exact hops (Tett and Hall).  I used 100% Cargill German/Euro Pils (not sure if there is a difference between the two).  That might explain the grassy aroma!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline crabber

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 06:01:35 pm »
I can't disagree with the grassiness comment, though I couldn't have identified the flavor by myself.

Does anyone notice a complete lack of head retention with these malts?  I have made 20 gallons of beer, different styles, with two different Cargill malts.  Each keg pours up with a normal sized head but it quickly dissipates, similar to glass of soda.
Overall I'm pretty unhappy with these malts, but it could be user error  ???