Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Best way to determine consistancy  (Read 1829 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
Best way to determine consistancy
« on: December 08, 2010, 08:50:12 am »
It's me again......

Anyway, after recieving some guidance on next steps in improving my brewing, I've decided to go for repeatable beers.  I have an Amber that everyone loves, and I get many requests for....   I did a triangle (I think) tasting which proved useful, but when I described on this board, some say it's not a real good way to determine consistancy.

What is the best way to know if you've got the same beer you brewed last time?

Thanks as always. 

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
Re: Best way to determine consistancy
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 09:06:25 am »
how about white labs quality control day.

http://www.whitelabs.com/qcday-2011.html

A bit pricey, but you could send two bottles from different batches and see how they come back.
James Lorden
Beer Drinker Beer Maker & Beer Judge

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 09:12:23 am »
Knowing you've got the same beer as last time can be a bit tricky.  If you save some of the last batch, the aging might have an effect on your tasting.  But it's not an insurmountable problem.  You just need to work on training your palate (yeah, tough job!).  Reducing the amount of time between test batches can help, too.  Try brewing the same beer 2 or 3 weekends in a row.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 09:18:32 am »
Knowing you've got the same beer as last time can be a bit tricky.  If you save some of the last batch, the aging might have an effect on your tasting.  But it's not an insurmountable problem.  You just need to work on training your palate (yeah, tough job!).  Reducing the amount of time between test batches can help, too.  Try brewing the same beer 2 or 3 weekends in a row.

I'm gonna brew it this Saturday and Sunday.  so they'll only a be a day apart.  I'll ferment primary only for 14 days then store for a month.  Taht should take any agiing variable out of the equation.  Now, what's the best tast testing method?

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 09:48:50 am »
To me it's like sex with the wife after 20 years. I got a pretty good idea it's going to come out all right, but there are always little nuances that keep it interesting. So unless you plan on going commercial I wouldn't worry too much about the molecular level and enjoy the little differences, if even noticeable.

My $0.03
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 09:50:25 am »
If you want to know if they're different, I vote for triangle test Mic.  You mentioned you did one before, so you know how to do one?  It's really the best way to determine if they are different, but it helps if you can have a bunch of people do the test blind.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 09:54:47 am »
If you want to know if they're different, I vote for triangle test Mic.  You mentioned you did one before, so you know how to do one?  It's really the best way to determine if they are different, but it helps if you can have a bunch of people do the test blind.

Remember Tom, tickets for Hops and Props go on sale Saturday.......

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 09:56:11 am »
To me it's like sex with the wife after 20 years. I got a pretty good idea it's going to come out all right, but there are always little nuances that keep it interesting. So unless you plan on going commercial I wouldn't worry too much about the molecular level and enjoy the little differences, if even noticeable.

My $0.03

Thanks, I like your advice, but I have to ask.....   What's the deal with that picture?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 10:02:25 am »
Now, what's the best tast testing method?

IMO, blind triangle.  Have someone pour (into identical glasses) 2 samples of one beer and one of the other.  Try to pick out the one that's different, and then try to identify which is which.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell