Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whats the best christmas ale? Thoughts anyone.  (Read 7186 times)

Offline roguenationpatriot

• Assistant Brewer
    • Homebrewing Adventures With Nick Filipow
Whats the best christmas ale? Thoughts anyone.
« on: December 08, 2010, 06:04:39 pm »
I don't have a specific favorite, but I was very inpressed with Sierra Nevada's Celebration.
Be sure to check out my Blog and website at
http://homebrewblog.webs.com/
http://nickfilipow.blogspot.com/

On Tap
HomeBrews
Oaked Barrel Aged Russian Imp. Stout
English Mild
Welsh's Juice Concentrate Wine
Infused Garlic Ginger Vodka
Infused Vanillia Coffee Bean Vodka

Commercial Favorites
Weasel Boy Russian Imperial Stout
21st Amendment Back In Black
Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA
Troeg's Dreamweaver

Offline geo1267

• 1st Kit
Re: Whats the best christmas ale? Thoughts anyone.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 06:11:46 pm »
I have tried these four so far this year. Sierra Nevada Celebration, Anchor Christmas, Troegs Mad Elf and Rogue Santa's Private Reserve. My favorite has been the Rogue.

Offline monomer77

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 08:18:02 pm »
Sierra Nevada's Celebration isnt really a holiday beer, it's just an IPA. Dont get me wrong, it's one of the best IPAs in the country. Although this years body and mouthfeel seem a bit bigger than usual to me.

Breckenridge makes a good holiday ale. Belive it or not, I was impressed wtih Points holiday beer. That'd be Stevens Point. Malty, Munich malt like, hint of chocolate/roast and just a nip of spice. Very drinkable.

Offline Hydro

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 05:10:07 am »
I believe a Pumpkin Ale is an absolute must have for a seasonal October through New Years brew.  I actually look forward to brewing it all through the year.

Pumpkin Ale can be served along with a slice of pumpkin pie and you will truly enjoy the complimentary flavors the beer and pie have for each other.

Here is another way to serve your Pumpkin Ale, that maybe, you have not thought of before.

Get a 13 oz Margarita serving glass.  Nice wide open glass with a thin stem.  You can purchase these glasses at Walmart 2 for $4.99.  Good price, has a great presentation.  Get several for serving your friends and family.

Frost the glasses and fill with Pumpkin Ale within 3/8's of an inch to the top of the glass.
Top with whip cream from the can in a spiraling pyramid shape.   Sprinkle pumpkin pie spice on top and garnish with shaved/grated Hershey milk chocolate. 
My wife absolutely loves this.  You can actually serve this with a meal, along with a desert, or just by itself.   Everyone that I have served my Pumpkin Ale to like this have been totally shocked and truly enjoyed the drink.
For the Love of Beer,
Hydro

On Tap Now:
1. Irish Red Ale
2. American Amber Ale
3. Kolsch
4. Scotch Ale
5. Strong Scotch Ale
6. Key Lime Pie (11%) Chilled to 29 deg. F. you can not even taste the alcohol.

It is time to start brewing again.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 08:47:56 am »
try rimming those glasses with caramel - I don't like it, but my wife goes ga-ga over it.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 08:51:57 am »
Sierra Nevada's Celebration isnt really a holiday beer, it's just an IPA.

Excuse me, but it most certainly is a holiday beer since it's only available at the holidays!  A "holiday beer" doesn't necessarily have to have spices and stuff in it.  I fond Celebration to be my favorite of all the holiday beers.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 09:02:30 am »
Sierra Nevada's Celebration isnt really a holiday beer, it's just an IPA. Dont get me wrong, it's one of the best IPAs in the country. Although this years body and mouthfeel seem a bit bigger than usual to me.

Breckenridge makes a good holiday ale. Belive it or not, I was impressed wtih Points holiday beer. That'd be Stevens Point. Malty, Munich malt like, hint of chocolate/roast and just a nip of spice. Very drinkable.

Why isn't isn't it a 'holiday beer'?   It's one of the very small handful of 'holiday' beers that I actually look forward to.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 09:15:12 am »
+1 Actually, it's the only holiday beer I look forward to...
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline blatz

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 09:23:16 am »

agreed - its probably single most purchased commercial beer for me for the whole year in terms of quantity.   I've bought 1.5 cases so far, and I might buy some more  :o

I do look forward to Avery Old Jubilation though. 

Never tried Santa's Reserve - maybe i'll grab a 22ozer.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 09:38:12 am »
I haven't seen it this year, but I enjoyed Avery's christmas ale quite a lot last year.  Celebration is good, too.

I also enjoy the Sierra Nevada Merry Christmas Ale (or whatever they call it) that comes in magnums.  I have a small collection of magnums that I will be using for some of my own Christmas Ale.

On a lark, I picked up a couple bottles of Trader Joe's X-Mas Ale (or whatever they call it). It's contract brewed by Unibroue (one of my favorite breweries) so I figured it should be decent, particularly at only $5 a bottle.  It's OK, not great.  Strong all spice, perhaps.  Reminds me of a spiced Chambly Noire or perhaps Maudite.  Unibroues dark beers are not my favorites, but I can't get enough of La Fin Du Monde.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline blatz

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 09:49:24 am »

I also enjoy the Sierra Nevada Merry Christmas Ale (or whatever they call it) that comes in magnums.  I have a small collection of magnums that I will be using for some of my own Christmas Ale.

I think you mean Anchor Brewing?

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 09:58:01 am »

agreed - its probably single most purchased commercial beer for me for the whole year in terms of quantity.   I've bought 1.5 cases so far, and I might buy some more  :o

I do look forward to Avery Old Jubilation though. 

Never tried Santa's Reserve - maybe i'll grab a 22ozer.
+1 on the Celebration. Years ago, it used to be one of the few highly hopped beers. I always looked forward to it's release & bought a case each year. I'd drink most of them, but would always hold on to a six-pack to age. Very nice to sit down to a vertical tasting of multiple years of Celebration. Now of course, there are many hop monsters out there, some of them quite good, but Cekebration still holds up as a well-balanced IPA. Don't always buy a case anymore, but at least a sixer or two.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 09:58:41 am »
Yes.  Anchor.

Multi-tasking at the office this AM.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline davidw

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 10:28:21 am »
Summit's Winter Ale is a great beer. But then, all of their beers are, other than the Imperial Pumpkin Porter which I personally didn't care for very much.
"The intriguing situation about brewing, on the other hand, is that mechanisms are theoretically possible, and the real key to success is the ability to identify those that are genuinely relevant in any particular situation."

~ George Fix : Introduction, Principles of Brewing Science

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 10:42:34 am »
I've been working on a 6-pack of Celebration- pretty good thankfully there's no spices in there. I also had a Rogue's Santa's Private Reserve last night. Very good as anything from that brewery always is. I do detect some metallic notes which isn't pleasing but overall a nice beer.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis