Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Big Green Egg  (Read 66484 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Re: Big Green Egg
« Reply #135 on: March 22, 2012, 11:34:05 am »
As Phil said, but also you can't start small and ramp up. You need to have a bunch of coals going right from the get-go or you just spend fuel trying to get it where you want it and never quite get there. :-[

I'm not sure I believe that - whenever I want to have a hugemous fireball inside the egg, the only thing I do different is light an extra firestarter and take the daisywheel off. The difference in time just means I might need to fill up the pint glass a bit.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #136 on: March 22, 2012, 11:45:34 am »
As Phil said, but also you can't start small and ramp up. You need to have a bunch of coals going right from the get-go or you just spend fuel trying to get it where you want it and never quite get there. :-[

I'm not sure I believe that - whenever I want to have a hugemous fireball inside the egg, the only thing I do different is light an extra firestarter and take the daisywheel off. The difference in time just means I might need to fill up the pint glass a bit.

That approach hasn't worked optimally for me. By the time I get to the desired temps (600+) the fuel starts to run out. Maybe I need to revisit this this weekend. I could do with a fat steak or a nice thick jalapeño cornbread stuffed pork chop.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #137 on: March 22, 2012, 12:03:29 pm »
i don't sort my lump when i load my egg and i light it with a mapp torch.  when i want it real hot, i light it at 3, 6, 9, and the middle.  about 20 seconds in each spot and wait until it starts to rip.  if i'm using a dense lump, it may take 45 minutes, but when i use royal oak (same as bge brand), it's super hot within 20 minutes.

i do have an ash tool and i always make sure i've cleaned under the grate and i run the tool around the sides of the grill to pull as much out of there as possible.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline loopy

• Brewer
« Reply #138 on: March 22, 2012, 05:55:51 pm »
Quote from: euge
nice thick jalapeño cornbread stuffed pork chop.

that sounds delicious.  can you post a recipe and pictures?  I would love to make some. 

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #139 on: March 22, 2012, 07:41:10 pm »
hugemous

BGE owners can make up their own words and there's nothing you can do about it!

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #140 on: March 22, 2012, 08:54:24 pm »
I guess I'm the only one here that has an electric smoker and a gas grill.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #141 on: March 23, 2012, 03:52:24 am »
hugemous

BGE owners can make up their own words and there's nothing you can do about it!

Redonkleish!
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #142 on: March 24, 2012, 04:23:52 pm »
Quote from: euge
nice thick jalapeño cornbread stuffed pork chop.

that sounds delicious.  can you post a recipe and pictures?  I would love to make some.

I've made the cornbread, and have to get the chops. While I'm at the meat-store I might as well pick up any beer that catches my eye. :o

Will post pics in what's for dinner.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #143 on: March 25, 2012, 06:14:28 pm »
You know what? Changed my mind. Will post it here, where it belongs.

Roasted Jalepeno-Pecan Pregnant Pork Chops:

About a cup of jalapeño-pecan cornbread stuffing per 1 pound center-cut chop. Chops were brined overnight, stuffed and peppered. Cooking time to 155 was 55 minutes at 350-375 in the Egg. A 5 minute rest and I'm in succulent spicy pork chop heaven!

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #144 on: March 25, 2012, 06:43:27 pm »
Looks fantastic Euge.  Gonna have to try that!

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #145 on: March 25, 2012, 08:55:28 pm »
Not sure this was covered, check your lower vent holes. That will kill your temps, I can get 500 at less than half on the bottom and 1/2 inch full open on the top with the daisey wheel open full.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #146 on: March 26, 2012, 12:57:15 am »
Awesome euge!
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #147 on: May 02, 2012, 11:46:32 pm »
Damn I need to Egg me up some vittles.

I've noticed lately the smoke in my Egg has been a tad on the greasy side. Time for a burn-out?

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #148 on: May 03, 2012, 03:45:10 pm »
Damn I need to Egg me up some vittles.

I've noticed lately the smoke in my Egg has been a tad on the greasy side. Time for a burn-out?

Burn out?

I did a mess of beef ribs last weekend.  Should have taken pictures.  Here's the glaze that I'm really loving right now.  Homemade recipe so feel free to change as you see fit.

1 jar Red Pepper Jelly
1/2 jar Ketchup
1/2 jar Plum Sauce
1 tbsp dice shallots
1 tbsp Worchestershire sauce
1 tbsp Molasses
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp part brown sugar
1/2 to 1 tsp or so (just eyeball it), Hot sauce, garlic power, salt, pepper, oregano, whatever herbs wind your watch.

I smoke the ribs until they are entirely done, cut them into individual ribs and the drench them in the glaze and back onto the grill to crisp up the glaze a bit.  Sweet glaze with nice red pepper taste. 

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #149 on: May 03, 2012, 11:36:29 pm »
Six hours for an unbrined turkey (home grown Bourbon red) 2 fists full of apple wood delicious.