Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: wort aeration with perforated pipe  (Read 7832 times)

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
wort aeration with perforated pipe
« on: December 28, 2010, 09:07:16 pm »
On the last batch I tried aerating my wort with a perforated pipe. I only got to about 4 ppm O2 and had to supplement with pure oxygen. Here is the complete write-up:

Wort aeration with a perforated pipe

Kai

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
Re: wort aeration with perforated pipe
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 09:32:55 pm »
I do not have DO meter so I do not know what my O2 levels are.
I aerate  with similar method in the transfer to the fermentor.
I have about 4 ft 3/8 clear tubing with pinhole on the BK end.
Pinhole allows air to be sucked to the tubing that mixes with passing by wort in the transfer.
On fermenter end I have a wort Sprayer like this:

I have fermented 1066 beers with no problem.
What I mean with "no problem" is 2 week fermentation and about 1014-1016 FG.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 09:49:38 pm »

I plan to get one of these as well and give it a try.

Kai

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 07:55:06 am »
I have toured Slovak Brewery that was aerating in line with clean (sanitise) air.

I think trick to it is to have air mixed with wort in line.
Longer line (tube) you have more time it has to mix.

Sprayer is just as an insurance in my opinion.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 09:38:14 am »

I plan to get one of these as well and give it a try.

Kai

I've tried one of those as well as the perforated pipe.  Although I didn't take measurements, my subjective opinion is that neither worked as well as a MixStir.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 10:17:43 am »
Kai,

You sure have neat tools.  I haven't even thought about springing for an O2 meter. 

It looks like you really need to make a venturi tube to be effective with this method.  I've noticed that in the wine world, there is a aeration device called a Vinturi that draws air into the wine as its poured into the glass.  I find its quite effective at aerating from a taste perspective, but have no idea what sort of O2 level it can create.  I don't see it really working in a homebrew situation. 

I pump my wort and use an in-line stone w/ O2.  The aerator is at the inlet end of my 25 foot long transfer hose and that gives the wort time to assimilate the oxygen and reduce foaming.   That has been effective in my opinion.  Too bad I don't have a meter to check the results with.  My address is....     ;-)

Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 11:53:42 am »
I kill two birds with one stone, when I whirlpool before draining my boil kettle to the carboy, I use a large SS whisk
I got at a restaurant supply store. 15-30 seconds of me stirring it like it owes me money. No issues yet...

I would be curious as to what my levels would be with my method.
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 12:16:41 pm »
Although I still use my MixStir, I've added another technique.  Since I use a pump to recirculate as I chill, once the wort is down to about 85F or so I move the return tubing so it's just a bit above the surface of the wort.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 08:47:04 am »
You sure have neat tools.  I haven't even thought about springing for an O2 meter. 

Thanks. I got this a while back with the intention to test various aeration methods. For each batch I keep track how I aerated it and plan to wrap this up in an article at some point. But lately I have been lazy and kept using my O2 wand, which i think works best for me. So I have a lot of data for oxygenation with pure O2.

O2 meters are a bit trickier to use than pH meters. I had a few erratic readings until I realized that I have to turn the meter on a few minutes before using it. I also ended up getting a meter that doesn't fit into the neck of the carboy. This means I have to take a sample into a glass and test the O2 content there. This sample becomes part of the fast ferment test but it also means that I can't just keep sampling unless I make sure I rack enough additional wort into the carboy. Testing O2 content in a bucket is much easier.

It looks like you really need to make a venturi tube to be effective with this method.  I've noticed that in the wine world, there is a aeration device called a Vinturi that draws air into the wine as its poured into the glass.

I'll have to see how easy it is to make an actual venturi tube. But since I don't have a pump I have to rely on gravity to to the wort transfer and will have to be careful about not breaking the siphon. This goes for any device where the air is drawn in above the kettle wort level.

Another improvement would be to prolong the air/wort contact time by having a long tube and possibly some inline mixing device like an epoxy mixer after the air holes.

I pump my wort and use an in-line stone w/ O2.  The aerator is at the inlet end of my 25 foot long transfer hose and that gives the wort time to assimilate the oxygen and reduce foaming.

I have found quite some variability in the O2 content that you get with pure O2. The problem with my system is that I cannot regulate the flow of O2. I can regulate the pressure but this only creates predictable O2 flow if the resistance of the stone doesn't change. I'll have to put a mark on the regulator knob to create repeatable pressure and check if this leads to repeatable O2 concentrations.

Kai

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 05:17:54 pm »
Wyeast got similar results:  http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_oxygenation.cfm
Brew on

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 05:46:36 pm »
Wyeast got similar results:  http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_oxygenation.cfm

thanks for the link. I'm glad my tests agree with the Wyeast results.

Kai