Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: American Munich  (Read 4061 times)

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
American Munich
« on: December 29, 2010, 09:49:11 am »
Can someone help me determine what is meant by American Munich Malt?  Wyermann?  CaraMunich?
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: American Munich
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 09:51:46 am »
I assume it Munich malt that's malted here in America.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 11:13:08 am »

Also, isn't American Munich often made from 6-row rather than 2-row?  Or is that no longer the case?
Joe

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 11:14:25 am »

Also, isn't American Munich often made from 6-row rather than 2-row?  Or is that no longer the case?

Some Briess is...the regular Munich is 6 row and the Bonlander is 2 row.  The American Munich I always use it Great Western, and it's 2 row.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 11:41:22 am »
I should have worded this a little clearer, I posted before I had to run out to lunch.  A recipe calls for "American Munich" and says nothing about 2-row or 6-row.  Searching Midwest Supplies and Northern Brewer, nothing came up on "American Munich." 

Going on your suggestions, is it safe to assume that unless it says "German Munich" that it's American?  (A search on just Munich Malt yielded Wyermann and CaraMunich brands. 

Thanks, and sorry for the poor wording. 
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 11:52:36 am »
NB has Briess Organic Munich. Midwest has both the regular Briess and the Bonlander.

I haven't used the organic. The Bonlander is better than the regular 10L. German Munich is lighter in color. The dark German Munich is around 10L.

I prefer the German Munich malts over the American or even Belgian malts. If it's only 10% of the recipe any one of them is going to be enough.

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 11:57:12 am »
NB has Briess Organic Munich. Midwest has both the regular Briess and the Bonlander.

I haven't used the organic. The Bonlander is better than the regular 10L. German Munich is lighter in color. The dark German Munich is around 10L.

I prefer the German Munich malts over the American or even Belgian malts. If it's only 10% of the recipe any one of them is going to be enough.

Ok yea, I saw the Briess Organic Munich, but I was unsure if it was "American"
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 12:02:00 pm »
I think the GW Munich is a darn good malt...close to as good as continental and for some stuff I like it even better.  For instance, I way prefer a Munich heavy AIPA made with GW to one made with continental Munich.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline jasoncap

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 12:10:58 pm »
I think the GW Munich is a darn good malt...close to as good as continental and for some stuff I like it even better.  For instance, I way prefer a Munich heavy AIPA made with GW to one made with continental Munich.

Why is that Denny?  I only use Weyermann and my standard pale ale recipe is around 60% munich so I am curious what differences you note.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 12:56:08 pm »
I think it has a more intense flavor to it and that the continental Munich I use (Weyermann, Durst, Best) have a more delicate flavor that doesn't stand up to the hop load of an AIPA as well.

www.dennybrew.com