Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

The AHA spends quite a bit of time and resources promoting homebrew competitions.  As a member of the AHA do you feel the AHA spends:

Too much time and resources on hombrew competitions?
9 (13.4%)
Not enough time and resources on homebrew competitions?
6 (9%)
The right amount of time and resources on homebrew competitions?
44 (65.7%)
bouef...
8 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Author Topic: The AHA and Homebrew Competitions  (Read 11286 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
The AHA and Homebrew Competitions
« on: December 29, 2010, 01:34:43 pm »
Is brewing about competing?

I'm in the bouef column...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 02:15:08 pm by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: The AHA and Homebrew Competitions
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 01:58:12 pm »
For some it is, for others it's about the process, others the education involved, others...etc...what motivates each individual can be any number of factors and priorities change over time...
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 02:06:02 pm »
I don't think they spend much time and I don't think they spend any money. Interested in what efforts you are observing that make you think otherwise.

Offline punatic

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 02:13:09 pm »
Have you been to a NHC?

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 02:17:25 pm »
I've been to about a dozen.  I don't think they spend much money on the competition though.  It' mostly entry fees and club sponsorship.  Prizes are mostly donated.  All the hired help is volunteers from local clubs.  Medals obviously are not a big expense.
I'm also interested in what you're observing.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline kerneldustjacket

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 02:29:22 pm »
First off, no, brewing is not about competitions.
Yes, some homebrewers enjoy competitions, and some don't but that's really personal preference.
Just as what styles you choose to brew are your personal preferences. To each his own...so brewing is about many things.

Now, to the question asked in the poll:

You could pose the same question regarding many things that the AHA does. For example, does the AHA spend too much time and money on the forum? I'd say that by observing participation in the forum you could conclude that many members get enjoyment and utility out of the forum...therefore it is a worthwhile AHA activity. Ditto for how many members actively participate in competitions...some people must enjoy comps; you certainly see a lot of questions pop up on the forum in relation to them.

BTW...I voted "beouf," as I have no idea how much the AHA spends on competitions, or if entry fees cover everything, or if the BJCP competition registration fee covers the costs...so I lack the required information to make a sound judgement.

I'll just assume the following: for the percentage of members who enjoy and want competition related content/activities, a percentage of their AHA dues goes to help pay for any AHA competition related content/activities, and so no burden occurs to those who have no interest in competitions.

Just my own jacka$$ haole opinion, a Georgia cracker just south of the Palmetto state.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 02:31:15 pm by kerneldustjacket »
John Wilson
Savannah Brewers League
Savannah, GA

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 02:46:17 pm »
It's my understanding from past discussions such as this that the competition events are self-funding (ie. the entry fees cover the cost and in some cases more than cover the cost) such that there is very little of AHA money and resources going to competitions. 

IIRC Drew Beechum or Chris Frey confirmed in the past that this was the case.

For those who care to compete, they are paying for the pleasure.

For those of us who don't care to compete, we need not care as our membership fees aren't supporting the competitions.

I don't care to compete.  But if you do, have at it and good luck.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline punatic

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 02:55:32 pm »
All of the hired help at the NHCs are not local volunteers.  There are BA/AHA employees who do a ton of work.  They do it very well or the NHCs would not be the successes that they are.  You think they donate their time and pay their own way?

If you enjoy brewing for competition I'm glad you're doing what you enjoy. 

I stopped going to homebrew club functions because the majority of the time at the functions was spent on accolades for recent winners, scheduling packing and shipping for upcoming competitions, and brewing schedules for competitions even further out.  I enjoy the camaraderie that goes with the sharing of homebrew. Training for beer olympics was not fun for me.

I've been brewing since St. Patrick's Day 1989.  For the first ten years I competed, judged, and organized.  I guess at that point I became confident enough in my brewing skills and knowledge that I no longer needed to look to others for affirnmation.

MDixon has it right, "...what motivates each individual can be any number of factors and priorities change over time..."

BTW kerneldustjacket, the word haole is a racial slur.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 03:03:11 pm »
You are asking multiple loaded questions in this thread and the other one.  I really don't know what your point is other than you don't like competitions...

Offline kerneldustjacket

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 03:13:52 pm »

BTW kerneldustjacket, the word haole is a racial slur.

Yes, I know. So is "Georgia Cracker" to some.
Just making sure I don't get too full of myself... ;D
John Wilson
Savannah Brewers League
Savannah, GA

Offline lonnie mac

• Assistant Brewer
    • Alenuts
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 03:18:31 pm »
I stopped going to homebrew club functions because the majority of the time at the functions was spent on accolades for recent winners, scheduling packing and shipping for upcoming competitions, and brewing schedules for competitions even further out.  I enjoy the camaraderie that goes with the sharing of homebrew.

Typically most homebrew clubs, at least the larger ones like the club I belong to, rely on competitions to stay alive. My club the Mashtronauts put on the Lunar Rendezbrew, A rather large comp (party) that is part of our Lone Star circuit here in Texas, as well as our other local clubs, the Foam Rangers, (Dixie Cup) and one of the largest comps around in Dallas, the Bluebonnet itself. These comps bring in the funds that allow most clubs to remain something more than just a few fellas sitting in someones garage drinking a few home-brews. (Which no one enjoys more than me BTW) This allows our clubs to remain for the most part a "club" throughout the year, with operational funds to do "club" things etc...

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 03:18:58 pm »
All of the hired help at the NHCs are not local volunteers.  There are BA/AHA employees who do a ton of work.  They do it very well or the NHCs would not be the successes that they are.  You think they donate their time and pay their own way?

The NHCompetition is only part of the NHConference and most of the work done by BA and AHA staff is not related to the competition. Also most of the effort to run the competition is volunteer labor.

So it sounds like you dislike the conference as well. So you don't want the AHA to be involved in competitions or education. What are appropriate activities?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 03:21:43 pm »

IIRC, there is one AHA employee involved in the NHC comp.  The others are there to support the conference in general, just like they do for GABF.  Should the BA not do GABF?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 03:36:35 pm »
Competing takes alot of time and effort and is not for the meek minded or soft hearted.

I for one take alot of pride in competing and judging. I have been brewing for almost 20 years now and as we all know it's alot easier to go down to the local beer mart and pick up a sixer of your favorite beer than it is to produce 5 gallons of homebrew. I brew beer for the creative and rewarding aspects of it. I take much pride in the end product...and yes the ribbons and medals too, but mostly because brewing enables me to share my creations and moments with others. Although I respect your opinion, I beg to differ.
Ron Price

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 03:46:10 pm »
I guess I'm sort of confused here, and I've been following both threads.

Are you against competitions altogether?

Or is your concern more along the lines that it appears that the AHA spends too much time/money/effort organizing competitions?

FTR (and I'm repeating myself) I don't compete but it doesn't bother me that they exist.  Kinda like Jerry Springer.  I don't watch, but it's fine if you do.

Also, I think it's a mis-perception that the AHA spends all this time and effort on competitions, though the visibility of the competitions can easily lead to the perception.  The AHA does many things that are not as public, particularly the legislative efforts to legalize homebrewing.  Some of these efforts could perhaps use more publicity.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton