Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Scottish 60 Help  (Read 5070 times)

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
Scottish 60 Help
« on: December 01, 2009, 11:32:37 am »
I'm thinking of doing this with just 3% roasted barley and enough MO to get a gravity of 1.031.  Haven't decided on hops yet.

My question is what should my mash temp be?  I've never made anything this light before and I'm afraid of it drying out.

Also, is boiling down part of the first runnings desirable with this style?

I'm open to other tips as well.

Thanks.

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
Re: Scottish 60 Help
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 12:03:41 pm »
I'm thinking of doing this with just 3% roasted barley and enough MO to get a gravity of 1.031.  Haven't decided on hops yet.

My question is what should my mash temp be?  I've never made anything this light before and I'm afraid of it drying out.

Also, is boiling down part of the first runnings desirable with this style?

I'm open to other tips as well.

Thanks.

I boiled down a gallon of the first runnings of the second runnings of a Scottish partigyle this past weekend.
Even though the eventual beer was just wort it did have a richness to it.

I'd mash pretty high 155-158
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 01:32:54 pm »
Thanks babalu.

What was your water profile like?

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 02:45:25 pm »
I did a partigyle - Strong Scotch Ale & 80/- a couple weeks ago & mashed at 153.  I boiled down a gallon for the Strong but not for the 80/-.  Hops were Northern Brewer @ 60 & 30 for both. Yeast = WYEAST 1728 Scottish Ale
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 06:15:03 am »
Supplementary question . . .

When you boil down a gallon of the 1st runnings, what final volume are you trying to achieve? Or is it strictly based on time . . like 30 minutes?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 06:34:42 am by dhacker »
Just brew it...

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 07:01:16 am »

When you boil down a gallon of the 1st runnings, what final volume are you trying to achieve? Or is it strictly based on time . . like 30 minutes?

I thought I remember reading to boil it in half.

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 08:15:35 am »

Most will suggest to boil 1 gallon down to 1 quart, which is what I did.  When it got to the 1 quart status it was bubbling not boiling.  It's like syrup.  I ran some of the wort from the kettle into the pan to thin it up some before adding it to the kettle.  The gallon to quart boil lasted around 60 minutes. I boiled the wort for 90 minutes.
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 08:58:32 am »

Most will suggest to boil 1 gallon down to 1 quart, which is what I did.  When it got to the 1 quart status it was bubbling not boiling.  It's like syrup.  I ran some of the wort from the kettle into the pan to thin it up some before adding it to the kettle.  The gallon to quart boil lasted around 60 minutes. I boiled the wort for 90 minutes.

What was the diameter of your pot for the boil down?

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 09:14:59 am »
I used an 8 quart stainless steel stock pot. Don't have it handy right now but I suppose it's about 10" in diameter. Wider would be better/faster because you'd have more surface area to evaporate.

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 09:25:08 am »
I used an 8 quart stainless steel stock pot. Don't have it handy right now but I suppose it's about 10" in diameter. Wider would be better/faster because you'd have more surface area to evaporate.

That's what I wanted to make sure of.  I have a 12 quart SS that is probably that wide or wider so I should be good to go.  Thanks.

I wonder how many gravity points extra the FG ends up being due to this process.

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 10:54:44 am »
I thought I had all the information I needed to do the 1/3 - 2/3 split based on the recipe & Partigyle Table http://brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue2.2/moshertable.html but it didn't work out as planned.  I was shooting for 1.0650/1.0975/1.0488 but ended up with 1.142 & 1.042. The Strong Scotch Ale (1.142) is down to 1.044 now & the 80/- (1.042) is down to 1.010.  I may end up blending some of the 80/- into the Strong just to tone it down a little.  Maybe the caramelization had something to do with the high OG but I can't imagine it would take it from the planned 1.0975 to 1.142??  Maybe it did??

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 11:45:51 am »
I thought I had all the information I needed to do the 1/3 - 2/3 split based on the recipe & Partigyle Table http://brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue2.2/moshertable.html but it didn't work out as planned.  I was shooting for 1.0650/1.0975/1.0488 but ended up with 1.142 & 1.042. The Strong Scotch Ale (1.142) is down to 1.044 now & the 80/- (1.042) is down to 1.010.  I may end up blending some of the 80/- into the Strong just to tone it down a little.  Maybe the caramelization had something to do with the high OG but I can't imagine it would take it from the planned 1.0975 to 1.142??  Maybe it did??

Did you boil it with the rest of the wort for the last 30 min?  No chance of stratification?

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 12:15:07 pm »
Yes, added some wort from the BK to thin it up & added back to the BK for the ~30 minutes remaining boil.  I doubt there was any wort stratification if that's what you are asking. It was all mixed up pretty good by the remaining boil & the transfer to the primary.  I checked the OG 3 times 'cause I couldn't believe my eyes, so before I checked it the last time I stirred it up a good bit. Then aerated & pitched the 1728 gallon starter.

The OG of the 8 gallons of wort prior to the boil was 1.095 (adjusted for temp). That's when I knew I had overshot the OG.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 12:17:01 pm by hamiltont »