Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Shipping yeast in these cold winter months  (Read 5695 times)

Offline rdwhahb

• 1st Kit
Shipping yeast in these cold winter months
« on: January 08, 2011, 08:56:32 am »
I have just started to use liquid yeast and am very happy with it. The concern I have is shipping it during the cold winter months. Is there any precautions one takes when they order liquid yeast over cold months?

Offline bassriverbrewer

• Cellarman
Re: Shipping yeast in these cold winter months
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 05:18:11 pm »
Your better off in the winter yeast doesnt like heat and summer is harder on yeast.  It needs to ship usually 2nd day with an ice pack

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 05:57:45 pm »
Just try not to let the package set outside for any longer than necessary.  I've had a couple slushy yeast packs already this winter.  They all turned out fine though after throwing them into a starter.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 06:26:42 am »
One of the yeast guys ( Wyeast I think ) was on the Brewing Network and said even if it freezes, you only lose about 10% viability.  But I would recommend a starter regardless.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 02:33:19 pm »
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a question related to this - I've bought some yeast here in the US, that I'll take back to the UK. Should I use an icepack that's been frozen or just that's been in the refrigerator?
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 02:39:04 pm »
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a question related to this - I've bought some yeast here in the US, that I'll take back to the UK. Should I use an icepack that's been frozen or just that's been in the refrigerator?

The frozen ice pack will keep it colder, longer.  Since the ice pack will start defrosting as soon as you take it out of the freezer, it's unlikely it's going to freeze your yeast.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 02:53:51 pm »

Cold has way, way less impact on yeast than heat. Remember, yeast are wild animals (actually fungi ;D) that have survived millions of winters.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 10:27:50 am »
Just to be safe, wrap the frozen cold pack in a paper towel.  It will be fine.  You might put it in the checked baggage too, I suspect it will be cooler there than in the cabin.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 10:38:18 am »
Watch the weather forecast in the region and try to time the shipment based on the weather. I try to order my yeast in the fall and spring months to avoid a potential problem like freezing or overheating. If you really need it, I would overnight or at least second day ship on a moderate forecast.

Good Luck!
Ron Price

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 05:23:37 pm »
Just to be safe, wrap the frozen cold pack in a paper towel.  It will be fine.  You might put it in the checked baggage too, I suspect it will be cooler there than in the cabin.

With the current regulations, it has to go in the hold. I just want to be sure that the vials make it with some viability.
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 11:30:15 pm »
Just to be safe, wrap the frozen cold pack in a paper towel.  It will be fine.  You might put it in the checked baggage too, I suspect it will be cooler there than in the cabin.

With the current regulations, it has to go in the hold. I just want to be sure that the vials make it with some viability.
What did you get?  You said vials, so White Labs?

Wyeast propagators should be small enough to take on the plane, but either way I'd put it in the hold.  And I'd put it in some kind of ziploc bag just in case :)  It probably won't be an issue since they are shipped all of the time, but you never know.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 01:23:19 am »
Shoot an 8 hour trip? I'm assuming you're flying from NY. A frozen 20oz pop bottle alongside your yeast packed in the suitcase should still icy when you get home. And the yeast cold.

Probably they'd be ok even without that. The temps they'll travel in will be cold. Cold NY. Cold airplane hold. England is probably pretty chilly too.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 06:10:05 am »
Just to be safe, wrap the frozen cold pack in a paper towel.  It will be fine.  You might put it in the checked baggage too, I suspect it will be cooler there than in the cabin.

What did you get?  You said vials, so White Labs?

Wyeast propagators should be small enough to take on the plane, but either way I'd put it in the hold.  And I'd put it in some kind of ziploc bag just in case :)  It probably won't be an issue since they are shipped all of the time, but you never know.

I got some White Labs vials, on the basis that I have had a Wyeast Activator smacked in transit. Wyeast Propagators didn't even occur to me, but they would have been another way to go.

An yes, it's an 8 hour flight from NY to London, followed by a 2 hour drive at the other end. In all, transit time will probably be 16 hours.
Bristol Craft Brewers

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 01:34:47 pm »
Unpacked the vials from my bags a few hours.  Packed with an ice pack wrapped in a paper towel.  All seemed fine and at araound refrigerator temps. Thanks for the advice!
Bristol Craft Brewers

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 12:28:18 am »
Safe and sound the little expatriates are... awwww,  ;D

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis