Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: DOH!
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 06:13:15 pm »
RDWHAHB

It's why they invented the expression.

;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline andrew

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lake Charles / Sweet Lake, LA
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 07:46:02 pm »

Andrew, I sympathize with your potentially terrible , terrible mistake. I hope it all turns out well for you. These things happen. Just let it go and don't let it disturb your sleep. If you are going to be a home brewer, you have to man up sometimes.

All the Tubercle ever did was dump 6 gallons of wort on the ground when he didn't have the boil kettle correctly positioned on the burner. My bad!

nah, no sleep lost for me. It was more of a hand slap to the forehead and then move on kinda deal... should've read more into it before not after.  ::)

I thing the 6 gallons on the floor it probably harder to take!
Andrew Tingler

In bottles or on tap: porter, quad, and wit
Secondary: empty
Primary: empty
On Deck: Blackberry Stout and Irish Red

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 08:01:31 pm »
Beer sprayed everywhere, including all over the attendant, me, the ceiling, the counter...  Standing there with beer dripping off of her chin, the attendant said, "That's pretty tasty, what kind of beer is it?"
That is so precious and classic it deserves to be in a movie... Reading this I hadn't laughed so hard in a good while. Thanks man. ;D

+!...now that is funny as hell!

My story isn't nearly as funny but.... I was going to replace the dip tube o-ring on one of my cornies and not thinking that the keg was pressurized with some starsan while in storage I began to remove the outlet stem and proceeded to spray starsan all over myself and the room.
Ron Price

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 02:14:18 am »
Beer sprayed everywhere, including all over the attendant, me, the ceiling, the counter...  Standing there with beer dripping off of her chin, the attendant said, "That's pretty tasty, what kind of beer is it?"
That is so precious and classic it deserves to be in a movie... Reading this I hadn't laughed so hard in a good while. Thanks man. ;D

+!...now that is funny as hell!

My story isn't nearly as funny but.... I was going to replace the dip tube o-ring on one of my cornies and not thinking that the keg was pressurized with some starsan while in storage I began to remove the outlet stem and proceeded to spray starsan all over myself and the room.

That can be pretty dangerous - depending on the pressure, the dip tube could act like a lance and do some -serious- damage. For me, kegs are treated like firearms - handle with extreme care, and if you ever have to do anything to them, never make any assumptions about whether they're loaded (pressurized) or not. These days whenever I'm doing anything to them I first pull the release valve and wait, then I keep it pulled while I take the lid off, THEN I assume it's safe to do stuff.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 10:24:17 am »
Haha! +1 ;D

Denny did you fish it out or just put another lid on?

I do this from time to time but foil works better IMO.

I just put  another one on.  It would have been pretty much impossible to find it at the bottom of a full 10 gal. keg without doing more damage to the beer.

Just recalled another one when I touched 2 carboys together and they both shattered, dumping 10 gal. of double decocted pils down the drain in the garage floor.  That was the last time I used carboys.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 10:27:19 am by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 02:28:55 pm »
I was converting a fridge into a kegerator.  I was so happy that I got it for $10. ;D  I drilled the holes in the front door for the faucets and then I drilled a hole in the side for the gas line and about half way through - PSSSSSSSST  :o- I drilled through a coil line >:( yeah, I know what it's like to be Homer :-[
Dan Chisholm

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 11:42:24 am »
1.  When I was converting a keg into a kettle, I needed to de-pressurize it first.  I grabbed a screwdriver to press down the ball-lock without thinking about how much beer might be left inside.  The resulting stale beer shower was not as much fun as it might sound.  This time, I cleverly stood off to the side and finished de-pressurizing the keg, mopped up the stale beer from the floor and carried on.

A couple months later I hear my panic striken wife calling out that we have water damage on the basement ceiling.  I rush downstairs, look up at the ceiling and say "No, that's just dried beer" and wander back upstairs, leaving her wondering why and how beer was on the ceiling.

2.  The hopper on my grain mill is a 2 liter pop bottle with the bottom cut off.  I bought it cheap off of a friend after it had been sitting in storage for 15 years (I supplied a new 'hopper' though).  In my brilliance, I put a wide mouth funnel on top of the pop bottle, so that I could pour the grain into the hopper instead of scooping.  Once the funnel started to fill up, it became top heavy and spilled over onto the floor.  In my panic to try and grab the funnel, I lost my grip on the bucket of grain and it too spilt onto the floor.   :'(

I swept it all back into the bucket, crushed (one scoop ata a time into the hopper, without the funnel) it and used it anyhow.  Well, except the stuff that fell too close to that nasty, grungy corner of the storeroom that the broom can't reach - that stuff got vacuumed up and throw away.
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2011, 06:42:37 pm »
Re my "infected" batch, previously mentioned....racked the beer out beneath the surface layer, which broke into sheets and clung to the walls of the carboy.  Beer was kegged and carbonated, and tastes perfectly fine.  The carboy has received a thorough deep cleaning...  Anyway, happy ending to a frustrating brew story.  I'm glad I didn't throw this batch out, because there's absolutely no evidence I can taste of anything malignant.  And this is coming from someone who cannot force himself to drink real lambics, so I have a low tolerance for the products of souring bacteria and yeast.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2011, 07:29:34 pm »
I haven't had any major screwups.....yet..... Oh no, the beer gods are working on something extra special for me, aren't they..... :o :o :o
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....