Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Duvel Tripel Hop  (Read 1862 times)

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
Duvel Tripel Hop
« on: January 21, 2011, 06:04:47 am »
I tried this rarity last weekend and figured I should throw in a review before I forget what it tasted like.

The addition of amarillo definitely gives it a more citrusy nose. Both the aroma and the flavor is surprisingly un-Duvel-like. The saaz dominated on the tongue, which I didn't think was a bad thing. Despite the heavy-ish hops, the beer didn't seem to have that Duvel dryness that I like in the original. It seemed a bit more sweet and the high ABV was more apparent. All-in-all, I'd say it's an interesting and unique beer and deserves a try, but I think it's a bit over-hyped.

I want to comment a bit further on the hype. This beer is hard to find and in high demand in Belgium. I find this very interesting. Time and time again I hear about the need and desire for "balanced" beers. Belgian brewers pride themselves on balance as do the consumers in their choice of tipple. So, I find it interesting that on the rare occasion a hop-forward beer comes on the market, Belgians just can't seem to get enough of it.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Duvel Tripel Hop
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 08:03:18 am »
FWIW - It's really not over hyped here...I haven't been willing to shell out the price of admission...something like $18 per 750ml
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 11:41:38 am »
Time and time again I hear about the need and desire for "balanced" beers. Belgian brewers pride themselves on balance as do the consumers in their choice of tipple.

::) ;D :D

So, I find it interesting that on the rare occasion a hop-forward beer comes on the market, Belgians just can't seem to get enough of it.

Ironic isn't it! ::)

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 12:54:23 pm »
What is balance?  Why can't a beer be considered "balanced" if it's balanced toward hops?  Why is balance such a big deal?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 12:57:56 pm »
I almost got the Duvel instead of the Infinium but it's $19.99 so I balked at it.

A little surprised that they used Amarillo. Sort of a transatlantic hybrid...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 01:32:30 pm »
What is balance?  Why can't a beer be considered "balanced" if it's balanced toward hops?  Why is balance such a big deal?

EXACTLY!

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 06:29:33 am »
I looked at it last weekend and passed due to the price.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 08:01:09 am »
Why is balance such a big deal?

Hah!  ask that over there and you'll get ear full on its all about the balance in making a great beer, its the fabulous marriage of malts and hops...

You really need to visit Belgium Denny or even Amsterdam, heck I'll give the tour of the city not listed on the tourist brochures :o

nod-n-wink ;)