Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: More about water  (Read 7594 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: More about water
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2011, 12:36:17 am »
I tried the Zerowater system, but even my softened water makes it unfeasible from a cost standpoint. I could use my RO and get pure water probably forever, though doing that somehow seems redundant.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2011, 07:21:17 am »
I wouldn't call the filter worthwhile, but it doesn't really hurt the brewing water.  Go for it.
Really?  There's an awful lot of people that want to reduce the HCO3 in their brewing water.

It should also remove much of the organic compounds that can make surface water taste foul in the warm weather.

There are far better alternatives for reducing HCO3 than a filter like that. Either acid addition or boiling are much better options.

In my statement above, I was speaking about the cation exchange filter.  Activated Carbon is very useful to nearly anyone.  Sorry for the confusion!
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2011, 07:21:20 pm »
There are far better alternatives for reducing HCO3 than a filter like that. Either acid addition or boiling are much better options.
Alternatives, surely, but "far better" seems to be a matter of personal preference.  A lot of homebrewers might find passing water over a filter readily available at the supermarket to be preferable to boiling or sourcing, storing and measuring acid.

The Brita's reduction of 120 ppm HCO3 to 16 ppm seems pretty effective.