Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A new lease on life....  (Read 4950 times)

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
A new lease on life....
« on: February 01, 2011, 09:59:51 pm »
OK, not trying to start a MAC-PC war here, although I suspect there's a lot of MAC people here.....

Today the UPS man weathered the storm and brought me a 500mb hard drive ($87 at iFixit.com) to replace the 120mb in my Macbook which was FULL.....but the machine was doing fine.....(imagine that....)

Anywho, 7 small screws later I rebooted from system disc, and then restored from the fire wire drive which is my time machine drive.....OK, a little glitch there and I just reinstalled the OS from disc, then got the updates. Bottom line is, after a few hours my machine is running as never before, and I have 387mb of space instead of 2..... ;D

MAC since 1984........
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: A new lease on life....
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 10:14:24 pm »
OK, not trying to start a MAC-PC war here, although I suspect there's a lot of MAC people here.....

Today the UPS man weathered the storm and brought me a 500mb hard drive ($87 at iFixit.com) to replace the 120mb in my Macbook which was FULL.....but the machine was doing fine.....(imagine that....)

Anywho, 7 small screws later I rebooted from system disc, and then restored from the fire wire drive which is my time machine drive.....OK, a little glitch there and I just reinstalled the OS from disc, then got the updates. Bottom line is, after a few hours my machine is running as never before, and I have 387mb of space instead of 2..... ;D

MAC since 1984........

Linux since 2006. Never looked back.

Only 120mb? What? You still using your mac from the early 90's?

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 10:25:22 pm »
I am a babe in the woods where hardware is concerned. Dedicated Windows developer here. And I'm still loving my Windows phone, too.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 11:22:58 pm »
Windows machine with a 500 Gb HD and a 500 Gb external HD.
Works for me.
Brew on

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 12:52:58 am »
2010 Macbook Air 11" (all available hardware upgrades utilized) is my "main" machine at home and during the commute. I love love love love it, mainly because it weighs about 1/5th of what my old MacbookPro weighed (which is now my wife's laptop). That means I can put it in my vintage WWII Indiana Jones-style satchel bag and barely feel it. Really makes a difference.

When I get to work, though, it's a Hackintosh/Ubuntu machine - 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Nehalem, 1TB drive partitioned for main use, 1TB drive in an external enclosure for TimeMachine/Data backups, twin 23" LCD viewsonics.

Bottom line: When it comes to portables, the macbook air wins hands down. Show me a PC laptop with better specs and I'll show you a non-production prototype. But for desktops, build your own! A Mac Pro tricked out with something similar to the above specs would have cost me close to $10,000. Hardware for the beast above cost a little over $1,000. Not hard to do the math on that one ;-)
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 04:58:19 am »
Mac user. Switched from PCs in 2005 and never looked back. I would be lost without my networked external drive though, which allows me to keep within the confines of my macbooks hard drive.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 05:06:01 am »
Windows machine with a 500 Gb HD and a 500 Gb external HD.
Works for me.

+1

Loving life.  ;D

Although I love my iPhone.  :)

Ron Price

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 05:23:41 am »
HP Desktop running dual boot:
Win 7 and  Ubuntu
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2.13) Gecko/20101206 Ubuntu/10.10 (maverick)  K-Meleon/1.5.4

Travel setup>
Toshiba Satellite Netbook running dual boot:
Win 7 and  Ubuntu 10.10 netbook

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 09:03:36 am »
Just got a new HP laptop recently...Win 7, 4 G RAM, 500 G internal drive, 2x2TYB external drives (one for backup, one for ProTools).  I'm lovin' it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 10:24:50 am »
All this disk space.. shoot, the thing that uses the most disk space in my house is the Tivo!

I'm writing this from a new laptop - Lenovo T510 with Win 7 and all the latest goodies. The HD capacity in it? 80GB - all solid state baby!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 10:33:06 am »
I got an HP laptop recently too, Win7, 500GB hard drive, 6GB RAM, 17 inch screen :)

It's mostly what I use, but I built a windows desktop machine at the end of 2009 with Win7, 750GB hard drive, 4GB RAM.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 10:54:13 am »
I got an HP laptop recently too, Win7, 500GB hard drive, 6GB RAM, 17 inch screen :)

My wife's got an HP with a 17 in. screen and I really like it.  Biut I carry mine around every day and I find a 15.6 just enough smaller to make that a bit easier.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 11:04:06 am »

My wife's got an HP with a 17 in. screen and I really like it.  Biut I carry mine around every day and I find a 15.6 just enough smaller to make that a bit easier.
Yeah, I carry mine around every day too, and I had to get a new backpack to fit it :)  But even with the 9-cell battery it's not that heavy for me.  Less than 7 lbs. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 11:16:15 am »
I'm a pro graphic designer so I *need* this equipment, I swear! :D

2006 Mac Pro
Dual Dual-core 2.66ghz
16GB ram
Four 2TB internal hitachi
Four 500GB externals
30" Cinema Display LCD

Except for the 2TB drives all of this was purchased the day it came out in August '06.

Also have a 250gb drive with win7 installed for testing and playing games

We have 4 more macs in the house imac/mini/laptops and an array of ipods and iphones...

I don't know what's worse my current computer obsession or my new beer obsession!

Tony
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline Tim McManus

• Assistant Brewer
    • Haskell Brewing Company
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 11:39:19 am »
(Adjusts hus propellor hat accordingly....)

Mac Mini running Mac OS X Server 10.6.6, 4GB RAM, 6T of attached storage.  Acts as a file server, mail sever, MySQL server, web server, DNS server, Calendar server and address book server.

Mac Pro 2 x 2.4GHz quad-core Xeons, 8GB RAM (really want to put 16GB in...), 7T internal storage.  Mac OS X 10.6.6 and Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.  Also has Parallels and Fusion with Windows XP (3-copies), Vista Business 32-bit, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, and Ubuntu.  Viewsonic VP191b and a 27-inch Apple LED Cinema Display.

Macbook Pro 15", 4GB RAM, 500GB 7200RPM HD.

MacBook, 4GB RAM 320GB HD.

Mac Mini, 2GB RAM 320GB HD (the kids' toy), with Parallels running WinXP (for school stuff that only runs on Windows).

iPhones and iPod touch.  iPad.

Windows XP machine with a 1.6GHz AMD in it, 2GB RAM, and a hard drive.  This supports my Davis weather stations and WeatherLink software.

Dell Optiplex 270GX running pfSense.  This box is my router and IDS system.  It's also running Snort because it can and serves as my VPN supporting PPTP and IPSec.

I have a bunch of other crap lying around too, some if it does stuff and some of it is parts (you gotta' have parts).

I own a computer consulting company, so that's why I have all this crap.  I'm always on the lookout for computers--either Macs or PCs--that people are throwing out.  I can usually harvest some good working parts out of them and make something (and justify needing that something).

Although it looks like I am a Mac fanboy, I need to support both platforms for my customers.  It's easier for me to virtualize what I need on a Mac than on a PC. And any work that requires a dedicated PC, I have a few of those lying around.  I like the differences between the platforms--they all do something really good that the others do not--and it's interesting to realize the individual efficiencies in each one.
Tim McManus
Haskell, NJ