Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 3 tier gas/electric indoor 10 gallon brewery  (Read 14312 times)

Offline kcjaz

• 1st Kit
  • Kansas City
3 tier gas/electric indoor 10 gallon brewery
« on: February 08, 2011, 10:06:43 pm »
I'm new to this forum but have been brewing on and off for 10 years.  When I saw the "Pimp My System" category, I thought it would be great to share some pics.  Then I saw the Hammersmith post and felt like a little leager stepping out on to the field in Yankees Stadium...  In spite of that, I've decided to post my pics anyway.  So, here is my basement brewery.  It is still very much a work in progress, and has been rather organic in its development.  Process first, equipment and gizmos obtained to facilitate or improve my process.  The last mod was adding a water heater heating element to the cooler I use as a HLT.  Before that I boiled the water in the mash tun first then pumped it into the cooler before starting the mash.  With the addition of the electric cook top to my work bench, I'm now completely out of our main kitchen on brew day (wife is happy about that).  Exhaust hood works well and vents to the outside.  Next major mod will be getting rid of the propane and converting to natural gas on the two burners.

Here is the link: www.flickr.com/photos/kegeroo/

www.flickr.com/photos/kegeroo/

« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 10:21:25 pm by kcjaz »
Jason Zoller

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: 3 tier gas/electric indoor 10 gallon brewery
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 10:14:47 pm »
I like it!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 10:19:38 pm »
Gotta love a hobby where someone will put a Jenn Air into a workbench in the basement!
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 08:00:40 am »
Very nice. I'm in the process of planning a basement brewery and am trying to decide on whether to use natural gas or electric. You don't run into any carbon monoxide issues with the propane? Does the exhaust fan have enough oomph to pull it all out? Do you also have a fresh air intake somewhere? Just curious as I start to plan...
Mark Gres

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 08:17:43 am »
Very nice. I'm in the process of planning a basement brewery and am trying to decide on whether to use natural gas or electric. You don't run into any carbon monoxide issues with the propane? Does the exhaust fan have enough oomph to pull it all out? Do you also have a fresh air intake somewhere? Just curious as I start to plan...

You will want to provide some makeup air... in some fashion.  Essentially, the hood is going to pull 300 to 400 CFM (I am estimating based on experiance in the HVAC industry, different hoods may pull even more).  It will get that from somewhere.  If you provide a duct to the outside, it will pull it form that duct.  If not, it will pull it through window seals or cracks in the exterior of the house.  Essentially creating colder/wamer exterior rooms. 

With that said, most modern furnaces have a duct leading to the outside already located near the furnace to prevent the furnace exhaust and hot water heater exhaust from doing that exact same thing... so you many not need to add one if that already exists in your brewing area.

Bottom line, the makeup air source is not 100% needed, but I highly recommend it.

Now for the important part... does the jenair hood prevent the brewing smell from permiating the house?  That issue has pushed me to the garage in my house, and I would love to return to the friendly confines of the basement myself!!

Thanks,
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 08:37:34 am »
Thanks for the info. There is no makeup air-duct, but there is a window in the furnace room/brewery, so I could always open that on brew days. As for the smell... that's what has driven me outside in sub-zero weather lately... My wife is pregnant...
Mark Gres

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 08:40:56 am »
Definitely work on getting the propane bottle out of the house. Makes me a bit nervous just looking at it.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 08:45:25 am »
I'm new to this forum but have been brewing on and off for 10 years.  When I saw the "Pimp My System" category, I thought it would be great to share some pics.  Then I saw the Hammersmith post and felt like a little leager stepping out on to the field in Yankees Stadium...  In spite of that, I've decided to post my pics anyway

Good on you for posting the pics anyways.  Nobody's gonna bite your head off here :)  Oh, and nice setup.
Joe

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 10:23:12 am »
Love the Jennaire on the work bench. The possibilities are endless.

Welcome to the group. And don't worry this isn't the show. It's Triple A...every now and then one of us gets pulled up the the big league.
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 10:26:07 am »
Very nice setup!

Welcome to the AHA Forum and thanks for posting.  8)
Ron Price

Offline kcjaz

• 1st Kit
  • Kansas City
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 11:12:36 pm »
You don't run into any carbon monoxide issues with the propane? Does the exhaust fan have enough oomph to pull it all out? Do you also have a fresh air intake somewhere? Just curious as I start to plan...

I use a CO monitor just to be safe but it has never gone off.  CO isn't really the big danger with propane.  The combustion gases need to be vented, so a exhaust hood and fan is a must, especially with a turkey fryer burner Btu capacity.  If you put inan exhaust fan, CO should not be a problem.  It also helps get the beer smell out of the house.  I rather like the smell of brewery but the other members of my household don't share my view on this. 

The real danger with propane is if the flame goes out and you don't notice and propane gets released in the room, or your tank leaks.  If this happens, the propane will settle on the floor because it is heavier than air.  If enough propane leaked out, it could get deep enough that the pilot on your hot water heater could ignite it.  Having propane in the house is not the best solution.  While I have done it myself, it is a temporary solution and I would not recomend others do it.  Maxieboy's comment was dead on.  Using propane turkey fryers indoors should make you nervious.  If you do use propane in doors, you need to understand the hazards and act accordingly.  I never leave the room when the burners are on.  I never run the burners without the exhaust fan on and CO monitor plugged in.  I never store the propane tanks in the basement when I am not brewing.  Natural gas is a much better solution.  It is lighter than air and if it leaks, it will not settle on the floor. Plus, it is way more convenient and cheaper.  No tanks to run out and have to refill.  The only down side is that converting propane burners to natural gas will reduce their Btu capacity.

As for a frech air intake, I do not have one.  I originally thought I would need one and planed to put one in.  My house apparently has enough air leaks though so it isn't a problem.  If you have a fairly air tight house, it could be an issue.  I still plan on adding a fresh air source just so I don't suck in cold air through windows and doors and make my furnace run harder than it needs to.
Jason Zoller

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 07:49:04 am »
kcjaz: Thanks for elaborating on the propane issue. I am not the best teacher!  It IS a potentially dangerous situation and would hate to hear that one of our own was killed or injured doing what we all love to do!
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 01:35:21 pm »
You don't run into any carbon monoxide issues with the propane? Does the exhaust fan have enough oomph to pull it all out? Do you also have a fresh air intake somewhere? Just curious as I start to plan...

I use a CO monitor just to be safe but it has never gone off.  CO isn't really the big danger with propane.  The combustion gases need to be vented, so a exhaust hood and fan is a must, especially with a turkey fryer burner Btu capacity.  If you put inan exhaust fan, CO should not be a problem.  It also helps get the beer smell out of the house.  I rather like the smell of brewery but the other members of my household don't share my view on this. 

The real danger with propane is if the flame goes out and you don't notice and propane gets released in the room, or your tank leaks.  If this happens, the propane will settle on the floor because it is heavier than air.  If enough propane leaked out, it could get deep enough that the pilot on your hot water heater could ignite it.  Having propane in the house is not the best solution.  While I have done it myself, it is a temporary solution and I would not recomend others do it.  Maxieboy's comment was dead on.  Using propane turkey fryers indoors should make you nervious.  If you do use propane in doors, you need to understand the hazards and act accordingly.  I never leave the room when the burners are on.  I never run the burners without the exhaust fan on and CO monitor plugged in.  I never store the propane tanks in the basement when I am not brewing.  Natural gas is a much better solution.  It is lighter than air and if it leaks, it will not settle on the floor. Plus, it is way more convenient and cheaper.  No tanks to run out and have to refill.  The only down side is that converting propane burners to natural gas will reduce their Btu capacity.

As for a frech air intake, I do not have one.  I originally thought I would need one and planed to put one in.  My house apparently has enough air leaks though so it isn't a problem.  If you have a fairly air tight house, it could be an issue.  I still plan on adding a fresh air source just so I don't suck in cold air through windows and doors and make my furnace run harder than it needs to.

Thanks for the info! Good stuff!
Mark Gres

Offline mrbowenz

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 05:52:50 pm »
When I saw the "Pimp My System" category, I thought it would be great to share some pics.  Then I saw the Hammersmith post and felt like a little leager stepping out on to the field in Yankees Stadium...

I am so glad you decided to post your brewery, I put my system up just for ideas and inspiration only, I was in the same position prior to my building of it too, mine may be cool today, but someone right now is building the next coolest brewery, I am always humbled by people's creativity and persistence. all good! and remember , "never make fun of another persons brewery " !

One idea on the propane concern , might be locating the tank outside and pipe into your basement. of course with an emergency shutoff , CO2 detector, and always a fire extinguisher. I use propane inside and have for quite some time, however diligence and commonsense must be a first and foremost concern. Your hood looks very good, but make up air is critical to the performance of the exhaust system, be safe and brew well !

Brewing up history

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 07:15:14 pm »
I have a wood stove. You think that's enough flow?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving