Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA  (Read 10112 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2011, 11:24:57 am »
It costs $85 to fill my Dodge Ram. DFH isn't that good. Just happens to be on the shelves at the many of the stores I frequent, one of whose selection of hundreds of beers justifies the drive. That and also carrying Choice & Prime beef. ;D

If I lived in Europe it'd be mass transit all the way and eff the vehicle. Here I have to get in the car just to go to the closest stop-n-rob.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2011, 06:25:53 am »
DFH beers were one of my top choices in Florida, particularly 60 and 90, but now that we're back in California, I gravitate more toward Russian River/Lagunitas, and my favorite sixpack is Speakeasy Prohibition Ale. Though even better is to wind down Sunday's obligations and errands by walking to the Little Shamrock late in the afternoon and kicking back with two newspapers and a pint of Prohibition Ale on draft, which is just awesome. The freshness helps, but beyond that, I just really *really* like that beer. Can't convince Speakeasy to give me hints on the recipe.

What I miss is Bell's, especially Two-Hearted Ale on draft. I've attempted Two-Hearted Ale several times, and given up.

K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2011, 06:44:47 am »
DFH beers were one of my top choices in Florida, particularly 60 and 90, but now that we're back in California, I gravitate more toward Russian River/Lagunitas, and my favorite sixpack is Speakeasy Prohibition Ale. Though even better is to wind down Sunday's obligations and errands by walking to the Little Shamrock late in the afternoon and kicking back with two newspapers and a pint of Prohibition Ale on draft, which is just awesome. The freshness helps, but beyond that, I just really *really* like that beer. Can't convince Speakeasy to give me hints on the recipe.

What I miss is Bell's, especially Two-Hearted Ale on draft. I've attempted Two-Hearted Ale several times, and given up.

Don't give up! Try Sean's (a10t2) THA recipe. I brewed 10g Tuesday. I did sub Vienna for the Munich per my tasting on the first go round. I thought the Munich gave a little too much color and maltiness. We'll see. The hop schedule makes for one tasty brew!

A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2011, 07:38:49 am »

Don't give up! Try Sean's (a10t2) THA recipe. I brewed 10g Tuesday. I did sub Vienna for the Munich per my tasting on the first go round. I thought the Munich gave a little too much color and maltiness. We'll see. The hop schedule makes for one tasty brew!

Link to recipe:

http://seanterrill.com/2010/06/28/tha-cloning/
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2011, 08:37:07 am »
Go for it, kgs.  Homebrewers don't quit.  Get back in the saddle.

I like the 1272 yeast in IPAs; it's my go-to yeast.  I was just thinking that if you used all Cascades instead of all Centennials, you'd pretty much have Anchor Liberty instead of Two Hearted Ale.  Just a thought on how you can take one recipe and play with it.  I'm sure it would be great with all Amarillo too.

I like using a neutral malt background for these hop experiments.  I remember trying a test batch at Sierra Nevada.  It used something like 10% light Munich and the rest a blend of two-row brewer's malt and pils.  You could throw any hops at that and they'd jump out.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2011, 06:10:35 pm »
Go for it, kgs.  Homebrewers don't quit.  Get back in the saddle.

I like the 1272 yeast in IPAs; it's my go-to yeast.  I was just thinking that if you used all Cascades instead of all Centennials, you'd pretty much have Anchor Liberty instead of Two Hearted Ale.  Just a thought on how you can take one recipe and play with it.  I'm sure it would be great with all Amarillo too.

I like using a neutral malt background for these hop experiments.  I remember trying a test batch at Sierra Nevada.  It used something like 10% light Munich and the rest a blend of two-row brewer's malt and pils.  You could throw any hops at that and they'd jump out.

Durn it, I'm gonna do it. Next brew. I was wondering "what next"--ok, now I know!  Who's in charge here, me or them thar wort? (Don't answer!)   I hadn't used 1272 before. My recipes had been fairly simple THA clones, but I'm thinking a) I underhopped (went by measurement instead of AAU--something I am just getting out of the habit of) and b) I know I didn't use Wyeast 1272 -- can't even buy it at the LHBS, though the LHBS in Bezerkeley probably carries it. Thanks for the tips and recipe, all. I'll post my recipe at least a week before I brew in the recipe forum to get feedback.

K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2011, 10:57:45 am »
Twice I've tried to buy Wyeast 1272 in these parts  and each time was told they don't have it and to sub XYZ yeast. Then I say "But Gordon Strong said use 1272" and they reply "Well, in that case..."

If OakBarrel Winecraft in Bezerkeley doesn't carry it, I'll have to mail-order it, which seems silly, but whatever. Maybe I'll mail-order the whole recipe, meh.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2011, 05:59:48 pm »
Twice I've tried to buy Wyeast 1272 in these parts  and each time was told they don't have it and to sub XYZ yeast. Then I say "But Gordon Strong said use 1272" and they reply "Well, in that case..."

If OakBarrel Winecraft in Bezerkeley doesn't carry it, I'll have to mail-order it, which seems silly, but whatever. Maybe I'll mail-order the whole recipe, meh.

Do your places carry White Labs yeast?  I'm pretty sure their WLP051 is basically the same yeast.
Joe

Offline timberati

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norm
    • Batch-22
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2011, 07:18:41 pm »
I wish they would just make a nice session beer so I could have a few with pizza on a friday and still actually be able to taste the pizza!

Don't get me wrong, I love the DFH company and what they stand for, Sam seems to be the real deal, not knocking them personally at all...

I'm currently reading Sam's Brewing up a business. How's the Shelter Pale Ale as a session (hoppy/malty/well-balanced)? We don't see much DFH out on the Left Coast.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 08:10:26 am by timberati »
Cervesariis Feliciter
Batch-22 http://52beers.wordpress.com/
Twitter: timberati

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2011, 08:44:57 pm »

But you live in SF. It's really, really local...

I went to Oak Barrel while there. Nice to grab a couple beers while perusing the shop.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline pfooti

• Cellarman
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2011, 01:10:23 pm »
Oak Barrel carries wyeast, most strains. Ironically, so does William's Brewing which apparently doesn't have a brick-and-mortar storefront, so whenever I need to order from them, I have to pay five bucks to have my stuff shipped via UPS from san leandro to san francisco. At that point, I tend to order from Northern Brewer just because I feel like I'm getting my money's worth, shipping-wise. But yeah, you should be able to get 1272 from oak barrel.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2011, 04:26:35 am »
Oak Barrel carries wyeast, most strains. Ironically, so does William's Brewing which apparently doesn't have a brick-and-mortar storefront, so whenever I need to order from them, I have to pay five bucks to have my stuff shipped via UPS from san leandro to san francisco. At that point, I tend to order from Northern Brewer just because I feel like I'm getting my money's worth, shipping-wise. But yeah, you should be able to get 1272 from oak barrel.

Yes, Oak Barrel confirmed they do. I work in Oakland so this is doable--make a side trip, and then head to Berkeley Bowl West for some good beer to bring home. I have the same issue with Williams; they are "right there"--having a pick-up option would make a difference.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member