Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA  (Read 10111 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA
« on: February 12, 2011, 01:17:00 am »
The first beer I've ever had from the brewery. It and the 90 plus some others are readily available. The beer is pretty bright but the hop burst is amazing. Sweet light crystal? Anyway... effervescent and perfumed this a nice beer. The sweetart flavor lingers. The body's a bit thin but I like that!

Got 5 more...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 06:34:47 am »
Euge...this beer is one of my favorite IPA's. It has been very consistent over the years. All Northwest hops. It's closer to a session beer than the top end of the IPA range. Just an awesome East Coast example of an IPA. If there was one beer that I keep going back to, it's this one. Fine job by Sam and DFH.
Ron Price

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 09:19:47 am »
Love the 60. Like the 90. Cant stand the 120! Just too much going on there for me. Their fall seasonal, Punk'd is pretty damn good if you like pumpkin beers and I really like their India Brown Ale. I've tried quite a few other DFH beers and cant seem to get into them. It's as though they are just into making big, crazy beers for the sake of making big, crazy beers. I like the spirit, but the beer doesnt always hit home. I wish they were just as passionate about making great, easy drinking, tasty beer as they are about making the crazy stuff.
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 10:04:35 am »
Love the 60. Like the 90. Cant stand the 120! Just too much going on there for me. Their fall seasonal, Punk'd is pretty damn good if you like pumpkin beers and I really like their India Brown Ale. I've tried quite a few other DFH beers and cant seem to get into them. It's as though they are just into making big, crazy beers for the sake of making big, crazy beers. I like the spirit, but the beer doesnt always hit home. I wish they were just as passionate about making great, easy drinking, tasty beer as they are about making the crazy stuff.

Unfortunately I feel almost exactly the same way, I love the 60 and the 90 is pretty good too but the rest are just a little too over the top. I wish they would just make a nice session beer so I could have a few with pizza on a friday and still actually be able to taste the pizza!

Don't get me wrong, I love the DFH company and what they stand for, Sam seems to be the real deal, not knocking them personally at all...
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 10:08:03 am »

precisely my sentiments!  I like the 60, Brown, and Pun'kin a lot as well, but the rest of the lineup is yeck!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 11:56:34 am »
Likewise, I like the 60 and the Punkin.  Have also enjoyed their Chicory Stout and the Festina Peche.  Don't particularly care for the 90 and forget about the 120.
Joe

Offline drunkenpuff

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 12:08:21 pm »
Diito on the 60, 90 and Punikn.I find many of them difficult to enjoy, However.. I tried their Theobroma and WOW it was totally awesome. I was Pleasantly surprised, normally i think his are more barelywines than beers. It's kind of difficult for me to enjoy a 12% ABV, and many of DFH product is upwards of that range.

Offline theomb

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 02:07:26 pm »
I started the thread on Miles Davis' B****es Brew by DFH.  That's an amazing beer.  The Punk'in Ale is probably my favorite seasonal beer, bar-none.  I enjoy their Raison D'Etre...very drinkable.  I agree about the 60-minute IPA...it's fantastic.  The 90 is very complex but tolerable.  The 120?  Forget it, dude...just too much going on for my palate!  It has some great notes, but it's overwhelming.

I like that Sam pushes the envelope, though.  He really finds some amazing combinations by thinking outside the box.  It's quite fascinating to see his show (Brewmasters) and see how ADHD he is, but how that quality works so well with his team.  I think they're one of the top breweries here in the US...if not the world?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 02:11:47 pm »
You need to visit the pub, they have a lot of stuff on tap there that is not bottled and distributed.  Some really great beers, very sessiony.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 02:36:30 pm »
Not all the DFH beers are big. Festina Peche is only 4.5% or so. Still, packed with flavor. Now, berliner weisse may not be your style but I love them. Not too many of them around, and this one is pretty good... though not real traditional. It has the light, refreshing character & the sour pick-me-up that I really like. The Indian Brown Ale is pretty good too. I haven't had the opportunity to get to the brewpub, but (as Tom pointed out) they have a wide range of beers that don't get much, or any, distribution.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 02:40:05 pm »
The Festina Peche is really nice when it's warm out, better than some craptacular pilsner.  A couple of summers ago we got a 1/2 bbl and split it into cornies with some friends.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 01:33:39 am »
I just cracked a 90 minute Imperial IPA. Measured it with the thermapen... 52F serving temp. Nice malty aroma but not as perfumed as the 60 minute. Sweet. Hopped brightly but it's all confusion. Balanced. Keep feeling like someone's trying to pull the wool over my eyes.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 10:25:13 am »
I have recently become a bigger fan of IPA's in general, and I'm really liking the 60 minute.
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline theomb

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 11:56:51 am »
I think this beer (DFH 60-minute IPA), along with the rise of cask beers in DC, are what have piqued my interest in IPAs.  I used to avoid them like the plague, but I've had some really good IPAs lately on cask that are simply impossible to stop drinking.  Flying Dog also makes some interesting IPAs, but the DFH 60-minute IPA has my hands-down vote as the best.  ;)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 09:15:23 pm »
I had Goose Island Imperial IPA from a cask at the 2004 NHC in Chicago.  It was the first IIPA I'd ever had.  Drank a glass, poured another and took it up to my room to share with my wife while she dressed for dinner.   It was astounding!  By the time I got back down to the ballroom the cask was empty. It felt like "the big fish that got away."

Then I tried DFH 90 Minute and felt redeemed.  My favorite beer for quite a while now, with 60 Minute close on its heels. Man I love those beers!  Unfortunately I have to buy a $900 plane ticket to go to the beer store where I can get some.  Torpedo makes an reasonable stop-gap.

Rogue I squared PA is pretty damn good too. 
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907