Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: cooler mash tun size  (Read 7531 times)

Offline bassriverbrewer

• Cellarman
cooler mash tun size
« on: February 13, 2011, 09:13:30 am »
I've been mashing in my ten gallon brewpot for a while and am tired of fighting the temp drop even with wrapping it in a sleeping bag so I'm going to convert a cooler.  I've read the coleman xtreme is a good one any suggestions would help.  My main question is what  size. Right now I mash anywhere between 8-20 lbs of grain for five gallon batches and I have to add malt extract for my Dopplebocks,Wee Heavy and Barleywines and do a very thick mash at twenty pounds of grain.  Is it possible to have too shallow a grain bed and can I get a cooler that will mash 8-25 lbs of grain or would I need two sizes?

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: cooler mash tun size
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 09:58:34 am »
The "Can I mash it?" calculator here http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml will tell you how big a cooler you need.  For your max 20 pounds even at 1.5 qt/lb, it says you'd need a 9.1 gallon cooler.  Drop your water/grain ratio slightly and that'd fit in the 9 gallon Xtreme (which is what I use).  If you want to be able to do 10-gallon batches down the road then a bigger Xtreme would be needed.  Lots of folks on here use the 70-qt.

As for the grain bed being too shallow on smaller gravity batches, as long as you're batch sparging in an Xtreme, there shouldn't be any problem.  Especially if you use a hose braid.  The Xtreme has that nice drain channel into which your hose braid can fit therefore keeping the braid effectively below the "bottom" of the mash.  Even the shallowest mash should work fine with that.
Joe

Offline bassriverbrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 05:52:20 pm »
I still fly sparge but that shouldn't be a problem

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 07:32:49 am »
I have the 70 qt Xtreme cooler and just mashed a brown ale yesterday at 154 F.  It did drop to 153 F...at minute 59 into the mash.  
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 11:40:36 am »
I have the 70 qt Xtreme cooler and just mashed a brown ale yesterday at 154 F.  It did drop to 153 F...at minute 59 into the mash.  

I get similar performance, even with ambient temps down to 30*F...
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 11:42:23 am »
70 qt X-Treme here too.  No complaints what so ever!  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline glastctbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 02:04:55 pm »
So folks feel the 70 qt extreme would be ok for 5 gallon batches using 10 to 15 pounds of grain and batch sparging?  I can pick up a 70 qt extreme for $40 on amazon vs $55 for a 52 qt.
Scott
Still Hill Brewery

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 02:15:38 pm »
So folks feel the 70 qt extreme would be ok for 5 gallon batches using 10 to 15 pounds of grain and batch sparging?  I can pick up a 70 qt extreme for $40 on amazon vs $55 for a 52 qt.

I did a 5 gallon mild in my 70qt mash tun and it worked fine.  I thought I forgot something because the bed was so shallow.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline bassriverbrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 02:21:56 pm »
Does anyone fly sparge in one?

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 03:15:12 pm »

What is this you speak of, "fly sparge"?   :D
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 03:32:37 pm »

Aren't flies in your sparge generally undesirable? ;D
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 04:59:19 pm »
I have a 70 qt coleman extreme and I fly sparge . . . but not in the cooler ;D  I use a converted keg for my mash/lauter tun, the cooler is a cooler :o

I don't think you'll want to fly sparge with that thin of a bed, but you could give it a try.  But really, why?  The easiest way to use that setup is batch sparge, and it works great from what everyone says.  Why add the complications of fly sparging?  My setup has a sparge arm so it's no big deal, but if I was starting from scratch I sure wouldn't bother making one.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bassriverbrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 05:00:16 pm »
I still like to fly sparge i use the time to clean and prep equipment and maybe read a little of the paper while i'm sparging.  Actually i'm usually savoring a previously brewed beer while watching the sparge.  On anotehr note i saw a 72 qt coleman extreme which looks more of a square shape I might look into.  I also have a sparge arm I use now with my current setup
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 05:01:51 pm by bassriverbrewer »

Offline kerneldustjacket

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 05:10:24 pm »

Aren't flies in your sparge generally undesirable? ;D

Well, it's pre-boil, so no worries...unless it's a pop fly, then you'll get a big splash, and may get scalded.  ???
John Wilson
Savannah Brewers League
Savannah, GA