Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sanitize CO2 line & connecter?  (Read 14301 times)

Offline jwaldner

• Cellarman
Sanitize CO2 line & connecter?
« on: February 16, 2011, 05:44:59 pm »
This may seem like a dumb question but should I be sanitizing my CO2 line and connector before hooking up a keg or bottling with my Blichman Beer Gun?

I would assume that I would only need to sanitize the liquid side since it comes in direct contact with the beer but then I think I guess it's possible that the CO2 could push something into the beer that might cause an infection. It's probably better to be safe than sorry and sanitize, thus the dumb question.

Thanks

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
Re: Sanitize CO2 line & connecter?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 08:21:09 pm »
I do sanitize the keg post but I do not sanitize the connector (you could if you want to).
I sanitize tubing only if I have backflow to the CO2 lines.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 11:42:18 am »
I don't think a whole lot lives in a pure CO2 environment.....
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 11:50:56 am »
It's not so much the gas going in you need to worry about as what is on the connector itself.  As long as it's clean I don't worry about it much, but if you were to drop it in something or if it has mold growing on it you should probably wash it and dunk it in sanitizer before putting it on.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 12:27:06 pm »
I keep a spray bottle of starsan handy all the time. A spritz in the disconnect & on the post (IN or OUT) is ritual. A spare keg with starsan works nice to disinfect the liquid line. Just don't leave it in there too long or the inside of the line will get gummy.  I usually have a beer ready to go so I use it to flush the starsan out. Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 01:54:28 pm »
A spare keg with starsan works nice to disinfect the liquid line. Just don't leave it in there too long or the inside of the line will get gummy.

sorry to hijack this thread....but what does starsan do to the vinyl beer line?
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 02:33:23 pm »
I spray Star-San on the post and the disconnect, but don't bother with the inside of the gas line. I push Star-San out of the keg with that gas line about to go into service. So I figure any nasties in the dust sitting in the line are going to get blown into a keg of Star-San anyway.
Mark Gres

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 03:03:46 pm »
A spare keg with starsan works nice to disinfect the liquid line. Just don't leave it in there too long or the inside of the line will get gummy.

sorry to hijack this thread....but what does starsan do to the vinyl beer line?
Not sure if it's a chemical reaction or what but it gets slimy/gummy/sticky. Best I can suggest is put a piece of tubing in a starsan solution overnight & see. I usually leave it in the line for no more than 15 minutes before flushing it with beer. Ceers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!