Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Price for Rogue Ales  (Read 5445 times)

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
Price for Rogue Ales
« on: February 18, 2011, 03:39:38 am »
In southern Oregon, Rogue Ales are priced a good $3 more per 6-pack than any other micro on the shelf.  Their 22-ouncers are also priced well above the competition.  I'm not interested in speculating as to why they command such a price mark up, but whether this mark up is the same in other parts of the Country.  Do you guys in other parts of the USA notice a distinct mark up on Rogue Ales?      

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Price for Rogue Ales
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 07:42:25 am »
Here's the Rogue pricing from the local Total Wine stores in Northern Virginia...

Joe

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 08:33:45 am »
Oh yeah.  Rogue beers are quite a bit more expensive than most other US craft beer.  It's outrageous.  $8 for bombers, $12 or $13 for 6 packs.  For a brewery that emphasizes doing everything as low cost as possible while keeping as high a quality as possible, they sure are pricey.  It goes without saying that I don't drink Rogue beer anymore.  Besides the Deadguy tastes different every time I have it.
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 08:51:22 am »
I don't know that I'd say it's outrageous, but yeah, Rogue values their beers quite highly.  I've also never known them to claim to "do everything as cheaply as possible".  AFAIAC, it is what it is...you either decide to pay the price or not.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 09:30:10 am »
Anymore you are lucky if you dip below $8 a six in our neck of the woods. Most craft hovers at 10+...
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 11:31:28 am »
Up until a few weeks ago they (Rogue) were 5.80-ish for a 24oz bottle. Now they are $8. Just like that. Dang should have bought some more...

Except for BMC it seems like all the good beer has jumped up in price. I regularly pay $8-10 per sixpack now. Some brands are even more. Found I was spending $30+ bucks a week on bottled beer. Therefore the homebrew cellar is being consumed. Then I will restock it with lot's of new homebrew and forget commercial beer if I can.

But it isn't only beer. Just about everything has significantly increased in price over the last several years with the exception of my wages. :(
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 12:41:24 pm »
In our area they all jumped price during the hop shortage and barley crisis a couple years ago and have never returned to pre-crisis levels (as many predicted).  A six-pack of anything 'craft' is hard to find under $7 with $8-12 seeming to be the most common.  I know it costs a LOT to run a brewery and I want them to do well, but cost creep of commercial beers is what's making me homebrew more.

Rogue was one of the 'gateway' craft brewers for me years and years ago, and while their products are still of the highest caliber, they are not worth the premium with so many other excellent beers out there for less change.  The only Rogue beers I drink anymore are on my infrequent trips to their local brewpub (which makes excellent stuff - at a standard price too). 

jaybeerman

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 01:38:52 pm »
Must be a regional thing; on average Rogue bombers are among the cheapest (quality brews) here in western colorado.  Sometimes Rogue is cheaper than the eastern colorado brews.  I'm not really sure what/who drives these prices.  It’s funny how the beers in our area can be so radically higher or lower than the national average (it’s not just distribution lines apparently).  cheers, j

Offline etbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 03:34:26 pm »
Rogue is only available in 24 oz bottle here in Vermont...I can't remember the price but I've never found them expensive. 

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 04:59:24 pm »
Here in Illinois, Rogue products fall in line with the average price of craft beer, about 8-10 bucks a six-pack. Some of the local ones, like Goose Island and Two Brothers, can be had for cheaper if you know where to shop.
Mark Gres

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 08:37:10 pm »
I actually had a taste for a belgian dark today....went to a local liquor store that has a lot of them....couldn't bring myself to buy a bomber (locals/nationals) for $10+ and Imported 750ml well into the teens.  I walked out.  I may just go down to the brewery and get me a five gallon keg of Great Divide's Grand Cru for $41 ($52 minus 20% AHA discount)....buy local it is the only way.  I figure the keg will last me a year or so.  The deposit is $50, however.

You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 01:46:24 am »
It's in the spirit of "prices" so I'll admit DFH 90 minute IIPA was $10.50 for four, and the Full Moon Pale Rye Ale was $7.99. Tastes like home brew but WTF it's payday. Like that really matters. ;) The 120 minute is $15.50 for four. Sigh. Maybe.

So Rogue's Morimoto Imperial Pilsner isn't a bad deal- whose price always has me balking. I really ought to splurge and try a bottle for the brew this weekend.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 06:23:57 am »
Here in Illinois, Rogue products fall in line with the average price of craft beer, about 8-10 bucks a six-pack. Some of the local ones, like Goose Island and Two Brothers, can be had for cheaper if you know where to shop.
Huh, here in the south 'burbs, Dead Guy is always $2 more than everything else for a six. Bombers are usually closer to the rest of the pack, though.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 07:11:00 am »
Huh, here in the south 'burbs, Dead Guy is always $2 more than everything else for a six. Bombers are usually closer to the rest of the pack, though.
I'm in the far, far NW burbs. I'm not actually sure if I fall into suburbs, more like farmland. It probably just means I'm getting overcharged on everything else too.  :(
Mark Gres

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 04:11:27 am »
I recall that when I lived in Portland, if a bar had a rogue beer on tap, it would usually be $3-4 per pint, but that it was a dollar more if you went to one of the Rogue-owned bars. That being said, with the AHA discount, it dropped back down to standard Portland beer prices, and felt like a good deal (since it was so expensive at the store). I have also noticed Speakeasy and Stone beers are very expensive. I think that style of bottling (the painted/etched bottle) must be more expensive than the standard paper label.