Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Advanced Software for Brewing Water Analysis  (Read 33503 times)

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Advanced Software for Brewing Water Analysis
« on: February 18, 2011, 07:09:38 am »
I have just published my advanced brewing water software, Bru'n Water.  This is the first program that I know of that includes the contribution of grain acidity and water alkalinity to allow the brewer to better predict and tailor their mash pH.  We know that tailoring brewing water based on the beer color does not work well.  This program moves beyond that limitation.  Mash pH is a strong factor in creating cleaner flavor, proper body, and desired fermentation and attenuation performance.

The program includes all the typical mineral calculators and goes on to provide acid calculators, dilution tools, extensively researched water profiles, and a comprehensive water knowledge section.  I think you will find that it is quite a useful tool for analyzing your water and truly figuring out how to make it fit your current beer's mashing requirements.  

The mash pH prediction equation in the program has been proven to come within 0.2 pH units.  With continued observations and reports from the brewing community, I expect that the prediction capability may be refined to as little as 0.1 pH unit.  

I have set up a web site to further explain and illustrate the program and serve as a downloading point for interested brewers.  Please visit the following site:

https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 07:12:30 am by mabrungard »
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
Re: Advanced Software for Brewing Water Analysis
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 07:47:33 am »
That looks real nice and wonderfully informative.  Looks like it'll be the last straw in getting me up off my lazy butt and sending for a report on my water.  Thanks.
Joe

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 07:56:28 am »
Just saw this on the HBD.  Will have to read the web page and download the speadsheet.

I have been looking for pickling lime, but it appears to be seasonal here in Michigan for some reason.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 08:04:03 am »
I am very much looking forward to playing with this calculator, Martin. Thanks for your hard work!
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 08:54:32 am »
I've been beta testing this for Martin.  I've gotta say, not to diss anyone else, this is the absolute best water calculator I've used.  My beers have improved greatly since I started using it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 09:12:35 am »
Kudos Martin, we all appreciate the effort.  I've been playing with it and noticed that - once the 'Net Water Alkailinity' (following RA) goes negative (by adding Gypsum, for instance) , no amount of Lactic Acid as a water adjustment will change the Mash PH, while even a small amount of acidulated malt will reduce the mash PH.
How can that be?
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 09:18:46 am »
Wow, very well done Martin. This looks amazing. I'm looking forward to giving it a run.
Mark Gres

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 09:48:34 am »
Thanks Martin, this looks very impressive.

Did you base the color to acidity correlation on my work, or did you run additional titration experiments.

I have to play with this a little. While I have been working on something similar, I kept getting inconsistent results between the prediction and the actual mash pH and was never happy enough with the results to publish an updated version.

Kai

Offline mabrungard

• Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 09:55:44 am »
Kudos Martin, we all appreciate the effort.  I've been playing with it and noticed that - once the 'Net Water Alkailinity' (following RA) goes negative (by adding Gypsum, for instance) , no amount of Lactic Acid as a water adjustment will change the Mash PH, while even a small amount of acidulated malt will reduce the mash PH.
How can that be?

I put that in there purposely since the phosphate buffers will not let the mash pH drop below about 5 under normal circumstances.  By normal, I mean no external acid additions to the mash.  
This pH response was confirmed through experiments that Kai ran last month.  No matter how much calcium or magnesium hardness you add to the mash water, the mash pH will not drop below roughly 5.  This is a good thing since a mash pH of less than 5.2 (room-temp measurement) does not produce a very inviting beer in my opinion.  The body is thinner and the beer is noticably tart.  

I incorporated this response in the mash pH calculation by limiting the minimum RA value used in the pH estimate to zero.  Negative RA values are assumed to be zero RA.  (The acid malt is on the other side of the equation in the malt acidity.  Its not affected by the zero RA limit.  I'll be adding a note that acid additions to the water that produce a negative RA would not be properly accounted in this program.  Unlike adding Ca or MG, acid in the mash can drop the pH below 5.)

So, you did find an interesting quirk, but in practice it should not be an issue to most brewers.  I welcome any suggestions that we should include the ability to model pH below 5, but I haven't found the need at this time.

Kai, the malt acidity was based on your work and you are credited on the instruction sheet of the program.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 10:51:02 am by mabrungard »
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 10:26:45 am »
Martin...this is absolutely fantastic work.

I commend you for your efforts. I will be using this software in the  near future. I'll be sure to make a donation.

Thanks alot!  :)
Ron Price

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 01:22:32 pm »
This looks truly stupendous. Given what I learnt from you earlier in the week about my water report I expect to spend quite a bit of time playing with this one.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

jaybeerman

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 01:56:27 pm »
Martin, I know you've been working on this for quite some time, it must feel good to finally put it out there.  Thanks and cheers, j

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 02:23:43 pm »
It will be greatly appreciated by many, including me.  Thanks Martin!  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 04:13:21 pm »
Thanks Martin, I can't wait to dig into it!  :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 06:18:03 pm »
Outstanding.  I can't wait to try it out on my next brew day.  Thanks for sharing your expertise with the rest of us.