Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop substitutions  (Read 1995 times)

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
Hop substitutions
« on: February 18, 2011, 12:09:51 pm »
Getting ready to brew a dry stout.  The recipe called for about 0.7 oz of target hops for 60 min (11% AA).  These were unavailable at LHBS so owner suggested goldings as a replacement, but only at 3.7% AA.  I plugged this into a hop conversion app and it calls for 2.1oz of the goldings as a replacement.  If this is purely for bitterring purposes should it work out?  I've never had to substitute hops before (this is only batch 8 or so for me).  Open to any and all advice.

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
Re: Hop substitutions
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 12:12:21 pm »
Personally I would have gone with Magnum, or about any high alpha hop. I'm thinking he might be in the business of selling hops is why he suggested Goldings.  Just sayin'.  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 12:13:45 pm »
Go for a high alpha as suggested. Magnum is good and so is Chinook.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 12:26:57 pm »
Perfect.  I have an ounce of chinook from a recent batch left over.  I will opt to use that.  I appreciate the help.

Offline passlaku

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 12:47:34 pm »
If you have another high alpha hop available I'd go with that over Chinook.  Assuming you are making some sort of English stout (you were originally using Goldings), Chinook has a real bite that may not be appropriate for the style of stout you are making. 

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 01:15:23 pm »
Well we are a bit committed here already.  I appreciate the advice though.  Guess I'll see how this turns out.  Lesson learned if it comes out poorly.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 01:41:35 pm »
As a 60 minute addition it should be ok. If you don't like it after conditioning- chalk it up to a learning experience!  :)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis