Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: RIMS  (Read 3295 times)

Offline bluedog

• Cellarman
RIMS
« on: December 08, 2009, 12:19:11 pm »
Hi all,
I have some questions about a RIMS set up. If I put a pump between a mash tun cooler and a pot on the stove, this is basically a Rims system right? I'll just start with this to open a discussion...

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
Re: RIMS
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 12:21:21 pm »
No because the R in RIMS stands for recirculation,  you described no return path.

Fred
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 12:29:50 pm »
I think that's regular single tier brewing with a single pump.
"R" is for recirculate - so with what you have one pot would have to be above the other to turn it into RIMS.
Gravity down, pump up. Unless you're just recirculating the MLT to itself to clear up the mash.
I was assuming you want the stove for heating the wort; for temp control in the MLT.

-OCD
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline bluedog

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 12:43:11 pm »
OK sorry, A return line from the pot on the stove to the cooler. I guess my question is, Do Rims systems recirculate the entire boil volume (of water) or just the typical 1.33 qts per pound. If it is the entire boil volume wouldn't this affect the enzyme activity in such a thin mash. Or would you mash as usual (1.33 qts per pound) and then recirculate the entire boil volume for a certain amount of time and drain the entire volume into the boil kettle.

Offline bluedog

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 12:44:54 pm »
Temperature control for step mashing would be one of the benefits.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 12:47:18 pm »
OK sorry, A return line from the pot on the stove to the cooler. I guess my question is, Do Rims systems recirculate the entire boil volume (of water) or just the typical 1.33 qts per pound. If it is the entire boil volume wouldn't this affect the enzyme activity in such a thin mash. Or would you mash as usual (1.33 qts per pound) and then recirculate the entire boil volume for a certain amount of time and drain the entire volume into the boil kettle.

This is a question for Lonnie! \que music\
Brutus 10 doesn't circulate it all, Brutus 20 circulates it all with a hit to efficiency.

-OCD
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline smurfe

• Cellarman
  • Brewing on the Bayou
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 05:21:26 am »
You circulate just the mash (the 1.33 qts per pound) not the entire boil volume. You circulate during the mash, stop circulation and start the sparge and begin to drain to the boil pot. If you batch sparge you do your circulating mash, then stop the circulation and add your batch sparge and drain to the boil kettle.
I cook and I brew down on the bayou

Swampwater Brewing
Gonzales Louisiana

Offline lonnie mac

• Assistant Brewer
    • Alenuts
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 06:25:20 pm »

Wow my friends! So sorry I missed this post!

In most any rims system, you indeed recirculate just the mash volume. Rims, herms, they basically work with the same mentality in mind. Heat up, or maintain heat in the mash itself. Nothing more nothing less... Oh, and of course direct fire systems included here too...

As far as the mention of my Brutus 2.0 idea, it indeed recirculates the entire boil volume, but only after the mash has mashed for an hour or whatever suits you. Then the mash is mixed and counter sparged with the boil volume during counter sparging at your normal sparge temps...