Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: beer gas  (Read 11228 times)

Offline aubeertine31

• Cellarman
Re: beer gas
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2011, 05:22:55 pm »
Not sure if it could be something this simple, but I remember reading from Palmer's book, he mentions just taking care to not disturb the yeast layer on the bottom when pouring and gives a story about a guy pouring him a homebrew and sloshing around the bottle to get it all out (yeast). I always try to pour my home brews carefully out of my bottles and try to leave a little bit of beer on the bottom to not disturb the yeast layer and don't usually have an issue, ya know, besides the usual. Not sure if this is the issue, but just a suggestion.
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
-Frank Sinatra

Offline aubeertine31

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2011, 05:24:51 pm »
oops, disregard previous post, I didn't see that you wrote that all of your beers were kegged. Like I said, I knew it wasn't that simple. BUT if you did bottle, I'm sure what I said may have been relevant haha
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
-Frank Sinatra

Offline jimrod

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 08:03:49 am »
Am I the only one who has this problem?..................I would think this is a universal problem or I am doing something wrong.........
I do think it is the yeast because filtering does help............I am surprised no one else has this problem.
The liver is evil and must be punished

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 09:30:24 am »
Am I the only one who has this problem?..................I would think this is a universal problem or I am doing something wrong.........
I do think it is the yeast because filtering does help............I am surprised no one else has this problem.

Could be that everyone here is in PRIME drinking shape... :D
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2011, 09:33:55 am »

I used to have this problem to a distressing extent.  But it seemed to vanish and I don't know why.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Tim McManus

• Assistant Brewer
    • Haskell Brewing Company
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 10:11:21 am »
Eat a cup of yogurt a day.  It will help out the "good" bacteria in your digestive track.

I make these two beers (IPA and Black Ale) with a huge amount of Cascade hops.  They give me rank beer farts.  But I'm not going to stop drinking two of my favorite recipes because I can clear a room with my rump.
Tim McManus
Haskell, NJ

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 11:30:18 am »
I do think it is the yeast because filtering does help
I doubt it's the yeast alone, if that were the case then running it through the 1 micron filter would eliminate the problem completely, not just help.  More likely you are filtering out a portion of something else that is causing the problem.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 12:05:29 pm »
Eat a cup of yogurt a day.  It will help out the "good" bacteria in your digestive track.

I make these two beers (IPA and Black Ale) with a huge amount of Cascade hops.  They give me rank beer farts.  But I'm not going to stop drinking two of my favorite recipes because I can clear a room with my rump.

The 'good' bateria are part of the 'problem' it is the bugs in your intestines that are munching on sugars that your body can do nothing with causing the gas. I suspect I don't notice the problem cause as a vegetarian I have so much gas anyway who's gonna know the difference. I am not a chemist so I don't know how big various sugars are but I assume they are less than 1 micron. perhaps it is an unconverted starch issue.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2011, 08:31:20 pm »
I too experience this, and after a night on a Belgian bender.....whoa!  I know that the yeast is working overtime with the bacteria in my intenstines....I can almost feel it.  I figure it is just industrial strength digestion.

You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline jimrod

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2011, 12:39:03 am »
This last batch of beer finished at 1.010. Thats a little sweet, maybe fermentation picks up after it hits my intestine.
The liver is evil and must be punished

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 07:02:41 am »
This thread is a gas!
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2011, 10:01:09 am »
This last batch of beer finished at 1.010. Thats a little sweet, maybe fermentation picks up after it hits my intestine.

What kind of beer, Jim?  1.010 doesn't seem like that high of a FG.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2011, 10:40:53 pm »
Off / on topic.....I believe I've said it here before, hoppy beers make me belch like sometihng ungodly. I mean a deep belch from the tips of my toes. It's unreal. Only hoppy beer have such an extreme effect on me.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2011, 01:52:02 am »
My first guess would also be the yeast.Other than that, it could be your carbonation levels. Or, maybe your beer is so good or so bad that people are drinking it really fast and swallowing large volumes of air while drinking.

I have noticed it worse with some beers, but really, everything makes me fart. My doctor said I'm probably swallowing too much air when I eat and drink.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2011, 02:23:13 am »
My first guess would also be the yeast.Other than that, it could be your carbonation levels. Or, maybe your beer is so good or so bad that people are drinking it really fast and swallowing large volumes of air while drinking.

I have noticed it worse with some beers, but really, everything makes me fart. My doctor said I'm probably swallowing too much air when I eat and drink.

Well here's one of the questions I asked myself: how carbonated is this stuff? I belch but the gas can go the other way too. If one is swilling it down this gassy sh!t can happen. Maybe the beer is so good that it's getting drunk up fast...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis