Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: From swigtop to capped bottle  (Read 2134 times)

Offline kevin886

• 1st Kit
From swigtop to capped bottle
« on: March 08, 2011, 10:08:23 am »
I'm looking to enter my first homebrew contest. It requires me to submit two 12 oz bottles. I bottle in 1L swigtop bottles. If I pour this into the 12 oz bottles and cap, would the beer loose its carbonation?

Thanks,
Kevin

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: From swigtop to capped bottle
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 10:42:04 am »
Yeah, it would.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kevin886

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 11:20:37 am »
that's what i thought. and there's probably not really a way to "re-carbonate" is there?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 11:24:13 am »
you could re-prime and re-bottle but you will almost certainly get some oxidization and possibly an infection. brew another batch and bottle in crown caps.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 11:29:37 am »
Like Mort said, there's really no good way to do it.  Some comps are lenient about the bottles, though.  Maybe you should check with the organizers and see if you can enter the bottles you've got.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 11:32:02 am »
In the past for our competition this would be allowed for general judging and providing feedback, but it would be ineligible to advance.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 02:43:22 pm »
Like Mort said, there's really no good way to do it.  Some comps are lenient about the bottles, though.  Maybe you should check with the organizers and see if you can enter the bottles you've got.

Another consideration is that even those comps that might accept a swing-top are pretty clear that you're not getting the empty back.
Joe

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 09:52:48 pm »
In the past for our competition this would be allowed for general judging and providing feedback, but it would be ineligible to advance.

Why?
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 10:52:40 pm »

Why?
Because we don't allow swing-top bottles as a rule, it's part of hiding the identity of the entrants.  Not to mention that the entrant failed to follow the rules which explicitly say no flip-top bottles.  But on the other hand we want to give helpful feedback to people who bother to enter their beers.  If someone sent one in we would give them a choice, have it judged with no chance to advance or we can return their entry fee.  We don't send beers back though.

There is no harm in judging a beer in a competition when everyone knows who brewed it.  But if that beer advances it gives the appearance of unfairness, so it's not allowed.
Tom Schmidlin