Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Possible Diacetyl detected  (Read 3809 times)

Offline ehhaynes

• 1st Kit
Possible Diacetyl detected
« on: March 16, 2011, 03:11:30 pm »
Brewed an (all-grain)American Wheat with a little (10%) Rye and used Kolsch yeast. Fermented around 62 and let raise to 66 after 8 days. Seconday for 7 days. Kegged it and carbed it. About a week later took samples and taste is great  but at the very end I taste what I think is Diacetyl. Although only a little, it is there. Question: if I took the keg out of the fridge and let it come up to room temp would that do anything to reduce this slight aftertaste?
Any other thoughts? Is it still to early and it will subside over the next 2 weeks.

Thanks
H. Haynes
AHA Member

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Possible Diacetyl detected
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 03:18:09 pm »
Warming the keg up might help.  Infections can also cause diacetyl.  Letting the beer ferment longer the next time would certainly help...if it really is diacetyl.  Are you certain it is?  FWIW, I've had luck reducing diacetyl in kegged beer by krausening...adding a qt. or 2 of actively fermenting wort to the beer and letting the yeast chew through the diacetyl.  Although at this point, I think I'd let it ride.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ehhaynes

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 03:25:22 pm »
Thanks Denny, I have had good success with my brewing practice over the years but don't have a good sense what Diacetyl tastes like. Is it something that I should smell as well? I keep hearing about movie popcorn butter. Appreciate you input.
H. Haynes
AHA Member

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 04:45:02 pm »
Thanks Denny, I have had good success with my brewing practice over the years but don't have a good sense what Diacetyl tastes like. Is it something that I should smell as well? I keep hearing about movie popcorn butter. Appreciate you input.

Yes, popcorn butter is a good description of diacetyl flavor & aroma. It can also be perceived in mouthfeel as a slickness or oily character. Now, we all have different thresholds of perception to the various flavors (positive & negative). If you haven't gotten this, you may have a high threshold for diacetyl. Next time you hear someone one mention that a beer has diacetyl, ask if you can sample it. See if you pick it up then. Once you've found it & got it set in your mind/tastebuds, it's easier to perceive from then on.

Some yeasts are more prone to throwing diacetyl. Ringwood is a good example of this. Do you get Shipyard beers where you are? They are a good example of diacetyl.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline ehhaynes

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 10:01:11 pm »
Great, I will go out and get a few of the Shipyard beers. I decided to take the keg out of the fridge and let it warmup to room temp for a day or so. There isn't much in the beer but wanted to clean up the rest. Trying for a comp. Thanks for your input.
H. Haynes
AHA Member

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 10:21:16 pm »
Just a thought.  Is this the first time you've used rye?  Sometimes when I first used a particular ingredient it's impact on the beer would hit my tastebuds hard and get me thinking (bad idea) if I had done something wrong.  I just kegged an IPA that picked up a little 'D' and I kinda think it's because I kegged about 12 days after brewing.  I like 'em fresh - maybe too fresh in this case.  Good luck!

Offline ehhaynes

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 11:21:46 pm »
Yes, first time using rye. I'm sure it will be fine.
H. Haynes
AHA Member