Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: not fermenting  (Read 2196 times)

Offline andylovesburritos

• Cellarman
not fermenting
« on: March 25, 2011, 08:37:22 am »
i bought a pale ale kit and got it all brewed and in the fermenter, pitched the yeast according to the package and waited 12 hours. No sign of life and 36 hours later still no sign of life. i am going to buy another batch of yeast, but have i waited too long or would it be okay to re-pitch? like i said there are no bubbles so i can assume there is no infection, but i'm fairly new to this.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: not fermenting
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 09:02:01 am »
What kind of yeast did you pitch?   What temp did you pitch?

There may be a lag and/or a leak in your fermenter. Airlock activity or lack of is only an indicator of CO2 pressure in the fermenter. The yeast may be in the lag phase or growth phase. Look inside the fermenter for any activity (krausen) like a cloudiness or foam on the top of the wort.

What was your recipe? OG?
Ron Price

Offline classic

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 09:04:31 am »
What temp did you pitch the yeast at? I'm assuming it was dry yeast, did you rehydrate it?  You can repitch without ill effect if you had reasonable sanitation practices, either way it's worth a shot.  However, I wouldn't wait much longer than 48 hours.

Offline andylovesburritos

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 09:59:26 am »
i bought a kit from the local homebrew store and it contained everything you need to make beer, all i need was some of the tools to brew it up. it came with its own yeast packet that i saved just in case, but ironically my dog ate it. none of the ingredients were labeled so i don't know what the specific recipe is, i don't even know what kind of hops they gave me. needless to say i won't buy a pre-made kit from that store ever again.

i chilled the wort to 60 degrees so i could get an o.g. reading and that is the temp i pitched my yeast, but when i went to sanitize the hydrometer, i broke it so i need to buy a new one.

upon further inspection i found there is activity I'm just using a fermenter bucket that appears to not seal up tight, so with that being said i really appreciate that small bit of info that i should have known from the start. so no problem after all and thanks for the replies!!!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 10:04:26 am »
Good to hear, Andy!  FWIW, leaky bucket lids and messages about the beer not fermenting are pretty common.  So, you've just joined the club!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 10:35:53 am »
Glad to hear you have some activity. Also good to know you pitched at 60F with dry yeast as pitching rates and temp as well as proper aeration are vitally important to achieving great beer.

Welcome to the hobby...errr obsession and the almighty AHA Forum Andy!  8)
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 11:03:37 am »
I go by looking at the beer. Experience has taught me the signs of fermentation. I don't bother with fermentation locks and just lay the lid on top of the bucket so I can peek in after the first 12 hours. When the krausen drops I know that gravity checks in a couple days will reveal that it's mostly done.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 12:03:31 am »

i chilled the wort to 60 degrees so i could get an o.g. reading and that is the temp i pitched my yeast, but when i went to sanitize the hydrometer, i broke it so i need to buy a new one.

After the 2nd time I did this I realized that there is no reason to sanitize the hydrometer. You shouldn't be pouring the sample back into the wort/beer anyway so no worries.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce