Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: English Ales - Am I alone  (Read 7144 times)

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
Re: English Ales - Am I alone
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 12:29:55 am »
Nope, you're not alone. The Brits (and the Germans in Dusseldorf) do a great job of packing a lot of flavor into a low ABV beer.

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 02:03:08 am »
 Does anyone else out there like just normal, plain old traditional English-type Ales?  

Hear, Hear ;D

Aye.

I do, but being British may disqualify me from the discussion.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 05:57:36 am »
Love, love, love them. I dream of having a beer engine in my kitchen and a cask conditioned ale on hand at home. I love the taste and mouthfeel of cask ales.

There's a newish brewpub in Chicago that has a mild as one of their house beers and two cask ales on at all times. If I lived closer, I would brew much less  ;D
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 06:25:33 am »
Love, love, love them. I dream of having a beer engine in my kitchen and a cask conditioned ale on hand at home. I love the taste and mouthfeel of cask ales.

There's a newish brewpub in Chicago that has a mild as one of their house beers and two cask ales on at all times. If I lived closer, I would brew much less  ;D
What's the brewpub? I'd like to check it out.
Mark Gres

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 06:32:31 am »
The more I read the posts on this forum, the more I wonder if I'm in the minority.  So, I have to ask.  Does anyone else out there like just normal, plain old traditional English-type Ales?  I see lots of discussions on high alcohol barley wines but I just don't have a taste for them.  I see lots of talk about American style IPAs with all of their fruity, citrusy C hops which I am fine with and do enjoy on occasion but I certainly can't spend a whole night drinking these.  There's just too much there.  Maybe the hard core lupulin addicts out there can do it but not me. 

I used to like them a lot and made a Special Bitter my house recipe for years. Like you, I didn't really care for American IPAs much, except for on occasion. Then, out of nowhere, I just got to where I craved that 75+ BU IPA and mostly lost my taste for mildly hopped beers with EKG.

Used to make barley wines every 6 months or so too, but I just never really drank them. Last one I made was in 2007 and I still have oodles of bottles. But, if I make a IIPA its gone in weeks. ;)

Offline SiameseMoose

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2011, 07:00:17 am »
I just made an ESB this week, but it's for later this summer. At this time of year, when the tree pollen is strongest, my sinuses are whacked, and I find it harder to appreciate a mellower beer. So right now I'm working on kegs of a very hoppy APA and an all Moris Otter IPA loaded with Simcoe. It takes the extra oomph to cut through the tasting haze.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2011, 07:54:43 am »

Revolution Brewing, in Logan Square. Awesome place and it's really close to the California station on the O'Hare Blue Line for easy access. Have I mentioned the Bacon Popcorn?
http://revbrew.com/
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2011, 08:04:59 am »
I just kegged an ESB and will keg a porter this weekend.  Probably 2/3 of what I brew is UK style beers.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2011, 08:18:13 am »

Revolution Brewing, in Logan Square. Awesome place and it's really close to the California station on the O'Hare Blue Line for easy access. Have I mentioned the Bacon Popcorn?
http://revbrew.com/
Bacon popcorn? Maybe I'll try to make it there this weekend then... Thanks!
Mark Gres

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2011, 09:29:33 am »
Revolution had several lower alcohol beers when we were there back in Feb.

Check out Haymarket also.  They had a Belgian Single that was very flavorful, and around 5%.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2011, 09:43:37 am »
So, is there anyone out there that just likes a plain old 4 or 4.5% English Bitter or Pale Ale?  

Lots of people, but I'm not one of them.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2011, 11:14:48 am »
I have to say, I'm sort of in the same camp as the OP.  I've come to prefer session strength brews (which I'll define as 4-6% alc/v).  I don't, however, necessarily prefer English varieties.  My favorites are probably German and American.  I do enjoy English styles though.  In fact, I'm brewing a Landlord Ale clone tomorrow! ;)
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline weiht

• Cellarman
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2011, 11:26:36 pm »
I brew about 80% English ales, whether it's bitter pale ale ipa or porters. I brew other styles as an experience but take longer to finish the keg. I do enjoy hoppy apa but My stomach just can't take it for the whole night. I think there a big misconception that lower abv beers are lighter in taste and aroma. I think the British have mastered the art of balance in a beer between the malt and hops.

To me being able to drink a pint of great ale from the cask in a local pub is a spiritu experience, n I am not even british
Don't take it personal, there will be people who dislike your beer!!

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2011, 05:08:10 am »
I like them too.
The first time I had Tetley's I thought it was the best beer I ever drank.
One that I don't like is Bass.
The only cask ale I've had was from the local Iron Hill an "English Session Ale" it is one of my all time favorites.
I have a 4% abv bitter waiting for room in the keg fridge.
Dan S. from NJ

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2011, 06:41:03 am »
I like them too.
The first time I had Tetley's I thought it was the best beer I ever drank.
One that I don't like is Bass.
The only cask ale I've had was from the local Iron Hill an "English Session Ale" it is one of my all time favorites.
I have a 4% abv bitter waiting for room in the keg fridge.

I like English Ales on cask very much. That said, I like an American IPA on cask even more. :)