Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: English Ales - Am I alone  (Read 7145 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
English Ales - Am I alone
« on: March 25, 2011, 04:05:21 pm »
The more I read the posts on this forum, the more I wonder if I'm in the minority.  So, I have to ask.  Does anyone else out there like just normal, plain old traditional English-type Ales?  I see lots of discussions on high alcohol barley wines but I just don't have a taste for them.  I see lots of talk about American style IPAs with all of their fruity, citrusy C hops which I am fine with and do enjoy on occasion but I certainly can't spend a whole night drinking these.  There's just too much there.  Maybe the hard core lupulin addicts out there can do it but not me.

So, is there anyone out there that just likes a plain old 4 or 4.5% English Bitter or Pale Ale?  

I put this in the Pub because it's meant just as a discussion, not as a criticism of any style or anyones taste.  Something you'd chat about over a beer in a pub somewhere in the world.  Am I alone?  Are there others out there that don't want 11% beer or hops, hops and more hops or am I just becoming a boring old man?  

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: English Ales - Am I alone
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 04:18:19 pm »
I love all the weird ones, the American more-of-everything styles, the barleywines, the crazy belgians, etc.  That said...I have a very strong affinity for British bitters, milds, and pale ales.  The best of these seem to have a perfect balance between modest hopping, really tasty malt character, and yeast esters that straddle the fence between the strong notes of Belgian yeast and the very neutral character of American yeast.

In short, British ales are sublime and wonderfully balanced.  Marstons Pedigree Bitter would be my desert island beer.  If I had a good clone of that on tap all the time I'd probably gain weight in no time...

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 04:27:49 pm »
I enjoy good English Ales and I made 4 over the winter that turned out nice.  I think it can be very difficult to get a 3.8%-5% beer just right.  I think I have ADD when it comes to beer because I am constantly changing from one style to another. :-[
Dan Chisholm

jaybeerman

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 04:28:46 pm »
+1 for beer ADD

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 04:31:00 pm »
I love a good ESB.  It's one of the recipes I'm trying to perfect this year.  I'd be happy having it on tap all the time.  I'm sipping on a pint of the latest batch as I type this as a matter of fact.

I do also like some of the 11% ales but that's not exactly a session beer.  The over the top C-hop American ales are not my favorite style.  There are some good ones and I enjoy them occasionally but like the OP I usually don't want to drink too many in succession.

Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 04:40:50 pm »
 Does anyone else out there like just normal, plain old traditional English-type Ales?  

Hear, Hear ;D
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 04:42:50 pm »
Does anyone else out there like just normal, plain old traditional English-type Ales?  

Hear, Hear ;D

I do. This style is my favorite. You are not alone.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline timberati

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norm
    • Batch-22
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 04:43:50 pm »
I miss Watney's.
Cervesariis Feliciter
Batch-22 http://52beers.wordpress.com/
Twitter: timberati

Offline stlaleman

• Assistant Brewer
    • Penrose Picobrewery
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 04:47:46 pm »
Nothing better than a good Bitter! My favorite. Not to say I don't make all the others.....

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 04:51:38 pm »
Just a boring old man... ;)  j/k  I mostly drink bitter, hoppy brews.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 05:07:42 pm »
My next attempt at an ESB is the next brew on my calendar.  Still tweaking the recipe
Joe

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 05:11:09 pm »
Goose Island Honker's Ale...num num nummers!
Jesse

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 05:26:18 pm »
A bitter is one of the beers that I keep on tap year round, along with an APA, and a saison.
Mark Gres

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 08:35:57 pm »

Hear, Hear ;D

Aye.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 09:08:38 pm »
Since Labor Day we have made a Mild and 2 Best Bitters.

Plan on a traditional British IPA soon.  Also made a Sister Star of the Sun, which drinks as a British IPA.

You could say I like these.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!