Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermcap-S The good and the bad.  (Read 8965 times)

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
Fermcap-S The good and the bad.
« on: April 01, 2011, 03:09:29 pm »
The good, NO BOILOVER..... full throttle to a rolling boil....turn it down and maintain. SWEET.

The Bad. Big ol' paint strainer hop bag sealed. As in hang it above the kettle and it takes 1/2 hour to drain. The two don't work together apparently. Unless there's another reason for that. Which there may be...... Against the rule of never changing more than one thing at a time I also hung the bag in there before boil (for FWH). But, this means there was a serious hot break inside the bag as well.....

I'm hoping I got proper hop utilization.... :-[ It tasted bitter enough so I am optimistic.

Thoughts?
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Fermcap-S The good and the bad.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 03:13:51 pm »
I doubt it's the fermcap, but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.  Hot break makes more sense though.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 05:25:33 pm »
Its hot break. Tubercle don't chuck in the strainer bag until the break has settled and no problems. On the occasion where FWH is done, the bag is full of break material.

Been there.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 05:57:01 pm »
Learning is taking place. Fermcap stays, FWH goes.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 06:02:54 pm »
I have a false bottom, why use a bag?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 06:58:17 pm »

FWH is ok just don't boil the bag. It's already done it's work AFAIK.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

ccarlson

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 07:00:44 pm »
Fermcap was the worst brewing purchase I think I ever made. It didn't work for me. Save your money.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 07:18:05 pm »

FWH need to stay in through the boil.  I use both Fermcap and FWH in a bag and haven't experienced the problem Oscar has.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 07:18:47 pm »
Fermcap was the worst brewing purchase I think I ever made. It didn't work for me. Save your money.

Hmmmm....tell me more.  Works like a charm for me so maybe we can figure out why it didn't work for you.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

ccarlson

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 07:21:05 pm »
I don't know what to say. I used the required amount and it boiled over. I then added more and it still boiled over.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 07:26:01 pm »
I have used Fermcap-S in 50 batches of beer, and have never had any problems with it.  In fact, it's the same bottle that has lasted for 50 batches, and may well last for 50 more.

I only recently started using it in the boil (last 20 batches or so) and was pleased to find that it was doubly useful.  I've also had success using Fermcap-S to knock down the foam when making maple syrup, although I had to add it several times.  

I really like the product, and highly recommend it to anybody out there.  It works great in wine, too!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 08:36:53 pm »

FWH need to stay in through the boil.  I use both Fermcap and FWH in a bag and haven't experienced the problem Oscar has.

Take it out right before the boil starts, drain and put it back in after the break. Why not? A modified FWH. I bet no-one could tell the difference.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 08:41:15 pm »
Take it out right before the boil starts, drain and put it back in after the break. Why not? A modified FWH. I bet no-one could tell the difference.

Ah, I didn't understand that's what you were doing.  Nuthin wrong with that.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 07:03:33 am »

I don't actually "experience" the problem either because I don't go through a long drain time with the bag, I just squish to against the side of the kettle with a slotted spoon and I'm done. I'm too lazy pragmatic to go through all of the draining.

I have noticed break material inside the bag though that stops up the weave in FWH (my preferred method) vs throwing in the bag after the break has settled. To me there is not enough wort in the hops to drain every little bit. Just squeeze and go.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 07:39:13 am »
Not worried about the last drop either. What I am worried about is the bag being sealed and thus my hop utilization going south, or at least become an unknown.... I mean, when the water won't drain out, that means it doesn't recirculate either.