Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: what to cook tonight  (Read 2930 times)

Offline loopy

• Brewer
what to cook tonight
« on: December 11, 2009, 03:09:38 pm »
I have about 1.5 pounds of deer burger thawed at home, any ideas on what to do with it?

I did chili last week - was awesome, tempted to make it again but don't want to burn anyone out on it.  Any other ideas?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: what to cook tonight
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 03:51:19 pm »
Chili!  ;) Seriously, what about black bean tacos?

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 04:20:05 pm »
How about:

Venison Cabbage Rolls

1 lb ground venison
1 chopped onion
Garlic (to taste)
¼ - ½ tsp nutmeg
Salt and Pepper (to taste)
2 cups tomato sauce
Cooked brown or white rice
Cabbage leaves
Grated cheese
Parsley

Prior to cooking the meat and sauce, boil cabbage leaves for 2-3 minutes. Cook venison until brown; mix in onions, nutmeg, salt, pepper, and garlic to taste. Cook on stove until onions are cooked (softened). Mix in rice and 1 cup of tomato sauce. Create rolls by adding the meat and sauce into boiled cabbage leaves. Return rolls to pan, pouring the rest of the tomato sauce on top. Allow rolls to simmer for 20 minutes. Serve, garnishing with optional parsley and grated cheese.

A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 04:36:37 pm »
Or:

Burgers

■6 slices bacon
■2 minced shallots
■2 lbs. ground venison
■1 teaspoon minced garlic
■1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
■1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
■1 beaten egg
■6 hamburger buns
■salt and pepper

1.Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until brown and crispy. Pour the bacon drippings (reserve some to cook garlic and shallots in) and crumble the bacon and place in a large mixing bowl to let it all cool down.
2.Use the reserve bacon drippings and saute the garlic and shallots until softened. Add to the bacon and reserved bacon drippings.
3.Once cooled, add the ground venison, Worcestershire, parsley, salt, pepper, and the beaten egg until evenly combined. Refrigerate the whole mixture for about 20 minutes.
4.Preheat your outdoor grill or frying pan for medium-high heat.
5.Shape the meat into 6 patties ( this will make 6 LARGE patties) and grill until desired doneness.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 05:19:44 pm »
May be to late but..

I love venison Bolognese sauce. Really works well.

There are a couple of recipes for it in the Ethnic cooking thread. Just replace the meat with venison.

Also if you make this sauce with venison add a few pats of butter cause the venison is a little light on fat. I also add a splash of milk. Dont forget a health amount of nutmeg.

Meat loaf is great too. My wife makes a venison meat loaf Slovakian style. She puts hard boiled eggs and cooked carrots in there whole so that when you slice it you get the cross section of the eggs and carrot in the slice. 
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline loopy

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 09:18:58 am »
great ideas here, now I have some new thoughts for next time. I did a take off on a the burger recipe. 

sauteed some spring onions - the chives with big bulbs - in olive oil. after they were soft and nearing clearish I sliced them up rather thin.

mixed 3 spoon crushed garlic cloves, the venison (its 80% venison, 20% pork ground course), sea salt, black pepper, paprika, pinch or two of fajita seasoning, dried onion flakes, some cajun blend seasoning, and mixed everything together.

made patties - then put chunks of quesadilla cheese in the patty and wrapped them around so the cheese would be inside the middle of the burger. grilled over the propane grill, and topped with the same cheese and all melty good. bread was toasted on the grill, and slapped together outside for about 10 minutes until the sides were finished. (my timing was a little off.)

for the side I did red potatoes. cut into just smaller than quarters, added olive oil, some rosemary from the garden, koshersalt and fresh ground black pepper. mixed and tossed, in the oven 425 convection for about an hour.

I didnt have everything I thought I did for a salad so it turned out to be just romain lettuce tops, slices of avacado, and diced red onion as a salad.

an off brand red wine that my wife likes, I paired with a sierra nevada.

the family got back from there 2 day roadtrip just as it was all coming together, nice to have everyone around the table for dinner. bachelor half week is over.