Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hops for an IPA  (Read 6931 times)

Offline pmallory

• Cellarman
Hops for an IPA
« on: April 08, 2011, 06:47:47 pm »
It seems that IPAs have the biggest range for types of hops that can be used. It seems like it used to be a narrower range, but now I see Citra, Simcoe, Amarillo, Chinook, whatever. I'd like to know what other people use for American IPAs. Does anybody have any combinations that work well? Or hops you are attached to for bittering, aroma, or flavoring? I was thinking of trying to incorporate some type of balance between citrus and piny, or citrus and earthy. I am also fascinated by single hop strains. It just seems the options are overwhelming, in a good way, but if anyone has any favorites I'd love to hear about them. Ive been experimenting with Amarillo, and feel they'd be better with some other hop to balance even though they can be used in a single hop beer. I have more experimenting to do.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Hops for an IPA
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 09:21:01 pm »
It's a matter of personal choice but lately I have been on a Chinook, Columbus, Centennial, Simcoe and Amarillo kick. This blend is my favorite right now and seems to be popular with other homebrewers as well. Dry hop with Amarillo.
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 09:44:09 am »
I agree with Ron that that's a great combo.  I did one recently with all those and some Falconer's Flight.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 03:07:10 am »
Equal portions Nelson Sauvin, Simcoe, Amarillo. Nelson Sauvin is my Favorite Hop, it gives amazing tropical flavors (lychee, mango). Also good is Sorachi Ace, of which I had a SMASH the other day from Brew Dog, it tastes like (no joke) coconut.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline Edelstoff

• 1st Kit
  • Portland, OR
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 01:12:32 pm »
Denny, What did you think of the Falconer's flight?  I've been looking forward to giving them a whirl.
"Good people drink good beer."
— Hunter S. Thompson

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 01:25:21 pm »
Denny, What did you think of the Falconer's flight?  I've been looking forward to giving them a whirl.

So far, I like them a lot.  Most of the beers I've used them on are still fermenting so I only have a couple beers that I've actually tasted them in, but I think they're gonna be a winner.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 02:45:48 pm »
I have been using the combo of Columbus, Centennial, and Amarillo.   I can't seem to find Simcoe anywhere :(
Dan Chisholm

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 10:02:00 am »
Any combo of the "C" hops always seems to work out well. 

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 10:48:08 am »
Any combo of the "C" hops always seems to work out well. 

I concur Dean.
Ron Price

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 01:53:49 am »
I like a mix of Summit, Simcoe, and either Amarillo, Centennial, or Cascade (or all three).

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 09:47:12 pm »
Does it really matter what the bittering hops are?  I don't have many c hops so I don't want to use them for bittering if they are wasted. Thinking of trying a dark IPA down the road.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 10:41:17 pm »
We tapped a keg of IPA hopped with Columbus/Zeus, Cascade, Mt. Hood and Amarillo (dry). Delicious. 
Also planted rhizomes of Willamette, Cascade, Columbus and Mt. Hood.  First watering was a few drippings of the IPA with a toast. Cheers!
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 10:43:40 pm »
Is there really a shortage of Simcoe going on?  Seems like folks are having a hard time finding it. Regionally maybe?
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 11:16:49 pm »
I think the problem is finding Simcoe in bulk.  You can find it by the ounce here and there, but if you want to buy it by the pound . . . well, I'm not aware of anyone still selling it that way.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 12:42:14 am »
I haven't tried them (Simcoe) yet.  What is it about this hop that folks like so much?
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified