Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ataulfo Mangos in Season  (Read 10712 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: Ataulfo Mangos in Season
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 01:35:31 am »
Is there another way to eat mangos?

Mango characteristics do not carry over very well into beer and mead.  I think whatever it is that makes them taste and smell special gets blown out through the airlock during fermentation.  You can taste that there is fruit, but not what kind.

Mango juice wine is pretty tasty is you don't let it go too dry.

Puna is over-run with wild mango trees.  They are huge trees.  When mangos fall to the ground they split open and rot quickly.  You can tell when you're near a mango tree by the smell.

I have an extendable fruit basket/picker that I keep in the back of my truck.  We eat lots of free mangos.  Pickled green mangos are a local treat too.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 01:44:01 am by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 02:54:47 am »
We call that cut 'herrison' or hedgehog. I prefer the slice-along-the-seed-in-fourths method, you end up using the same eating technique as watermelon, which is to say, messy but delicious.

Thanks for posting that mango salsa recipe, looks good. I wonder if you could sub peaches for the mango and end up with a peach salsa?
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 04:36:52 am »
We call that cut 'herrison' or hedgehog. I prefer the slice-along-the-seed-in-fourths method, you end up using the same eating technique as watermelon, which is to say, messy but delicious.

Thanks for posting that mango salsa recipe, looks good. I wonder if you could sub peaches for the mango and end up with a peach salsa?
you can also combine mango and peach. works very well. Gordon had mentioned that fruit salsa goes well with fish. I make a mango peach salsa that I serve hot with fish. yum.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 06:33:18 am »
That cut also is what I do with avocados.  Halve an avocado, then do that same pattern on half the avocado with the skin still on.  Then just scoop the whole thing out with a spoon.  Diced avocado, ready for guacamole.  Of course, you'd do it differently if you wanted whole slices for a sandwich or something, but 90% of the time I have an avocado, it's for guacamole.

Just had one of these mangoes for breakfast.  Love them.  I tried some mangoes in Australia.  They seemed like the yellow kind but bigger.  Also amazingly good.  You could buy them on street corners like people selling strawberries in southern California.

When something good is in season, get all over it.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 08:05:26 am »
I planning on doing that recipe with peaches this fall when the palasades colorado crop comes around
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 09:49:17 am »
That cut also is what I do with avocados.  Halve an avocado, then do that same pattern on half the avocado with the skin still on.  Then just scoop the whole thing out with a spoon.  Diced avocado, ready for guacamole.  Of course, you'd do it differently if you wanted whole slices for a sandwich or something, but 90% of the time I have an avocado, it's for guacamole.
For slices you do the same thing, just slice end to end and scoop them out with a spoon.  You need to be a little more careful if you want whole slices, but it's much easier than peeling and slicing.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 10:06:33 am »
I use a mango splitter and take the 2 meat halves....cut them into 1/3 rds then
turn the skin side flat down on the cutting board and
using my filet knife (sharp) slide the meat away from the skin....just works best for me.
Then remove what ever meat I can from the seed chunk.

I can tolerate the flavor of the skin from these in small quantities, but IMO you would not want
the skin  in your mix.  Nor the blood from your filet knife injury...be careful out there...
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 12:42:40 pm »

I can tolerate the flavor of the skin from these in small quantities, but IMO you would not want
the skin  in your mix.  Nor the blood from your filet knife injury...be careful out there...

Mango skin contains urushiol, the same compound that causes contact dermatitus from exposure to poison ivy.  If you are overly sensitive to poison ivy be careful around mangos.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907