Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: High terminal Gravity  (Read 2514 times)

Offline bassriverbrewer

• Cellarman
High terminal Gravity
« on: April 20, 2011, 02:45:33 pm »
Anyone have experience with White Labs wlp028 Edinburgh Ale yeast? I made a Wee Heavy And mashed 20# of grain at 154 degrees and had full conversion in forty five minutes (15# Marris Otter 3# dark Munich and 2# a mix of specialty grains.)  I had an O.G. of 1.088 and pitched a three quart actively fermenting starter. Oxygenated three times longer than normal and fermented at 66 deg.  Three hours I had signs of activity in the carboy and later that night a vigorous fermentation the wort temp rose to 70 deg after three days it slowed down and the final gravity was 1.032. I tried rousing the yeast but it has remained at 1.032 for a week.  It seems a bit under attenuated.  Was the mash temp too high and the high gravity to be expected?  I have since moved it to a fifty five degree basement to clear.  Should I try to pitch a lager yeast to dry it out a bit or just keg it and enjoy it/

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: High terminal Gravity
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 02:53:42 pm »
I don't have much experience with that yeast, but based on your mash temp and short mash time, you might be done.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 02:58:48 pm »
How does it taste?

What was your recipe?  I like my Wee Heavies big and chewy.

Brew on

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 03:17:22 pm »
+1 to Tom's comment. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 03:36:52 pm »
I've used that yeast.  I don't recall it quitting early.  I think you got what you're going to get.  I would have thought you would have finished lower (low 20s maybe), but maybe your temps were off or maybe it wasn't as converted as you thought.  There was a whole different thread about how shorter mash times can limit fermentability.

Pull some off, put it on a stir plate, pitch some fresh yeast, keep it warm, and see if the gravity changes.  Basically a fast ferment test.

If the beer is still fermentable, maybe a fresh pitch or a different strain will help it finish.  If it isn't, you're done.  Age it, and see if the sweet edge settles down.

Chewy is good, as long as there are enough hops there to keep it from being cloying.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline bassriverbrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 03:50:24 pm »
I like my Wee Heavy chewey too but I was hoping to get into the mid to high twentys
The Recipe for Slappin Willies Wee Heavy
15# Marris Otter
3# Munich Dark
1# Melanoiden
1/2# Caraaroma
1/4# Roasted Barley
Mash Grains @ 154 Deg Boil until Hot break
Add 1oz Magnum Hop 12% Alpha 60min
1oz Dried Heather 30 min
1/2 oz Dried Heather 1 gram Sweet Gale 10 min
1/2 oz Heather 5 min
1oz Heather 1 gram Sweet Gale Steep 10 min
I plan on making a heather tea with 1oz heather and adding at kegging
As for taste it's good and I like it. I plan on aging it in the cool cellar for a couple of weeks before kegging

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 04:54:09 pm »
sounds yummy. I like heather beers.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline anthony

• Brewer
  • Hoppy to help!
    • Triptych
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 01:26:40 am »
That is a lot of specialty malts, I doubt you're going to get much more attenuation.