Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Vibrant local markets  (Read 2004 times)

Offline SwashBuckling Drunk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Boring, Oregon
Vibrant local markets
« on: April 15, 2011, 11:50:16 am »
Market season is here. We're all excited to head down the the Eugene (OR) Saturday Market tomorrow.  I live outside of Portland, OR which does have a big Saturday Market (it's also open on Sunday).  While the Portland market is big, and well attended, it's also somewhat of a junk sale- lots of cheap imported junk.  There's also some cool local stuff, but the vibe just isn't there for me.  Anymore, I rarely go.

On the other hand, the Eugene Saturday Market is limited to only handcrafted items, including the food.  It's a vibrant scene with a substantial farmers market (pretty much all organic), great food and some pretty cool handcrafted items.  I'm ready to dig into my first Ritta's Burrito of the season.  I know you guys like tacos, but Ritta's is better  ;D  Oh yeah- the people watching is pretty cool too.  I may have to buy the kids another joke book from Frog (it will depend on when he had his last bath)

How bout it?  Do you have, or know of, a great local market?

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
Re: Vibrant local markets
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 12:35:32 pm »
in another lifetime, long years ago, I lived in Eugene (and also on the coast in Waldport) and used to do both the Eugene & Portland Saturday Markets. this was back in the 70s-80's when I was a young hippie craftsman (first leatherwork, then pottery). great times, good memories. sad to hear that the Portland market has become a junk sale, but great to hear the Eugene market has continued to stay true to handcrafted only. here in Gainesville, FL we have a couple of good farmers markets but nothing like the Saturday Market in Eugene.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 12:42:02 pm »
Yeah, no real general goods type of market here but we do have a nice Farmer's Market
Joe

jaybeerman

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 12:45:23 pm »
I'm ready to dig into my first Ritta's Burrito of the season.  I know you guys like tacos, but Ritta's is better  ;D  Oh yeah- the people watching is pretty cool too.  I may have to buy the kids another joke book from Frog (it will depend on when he had his last bath)

Our situation sounds similar.  We have a few vendors with very good produce, but in the last few years the "market" has become overrun with knick-knack crap and junk jewelry vendors.  Later on in the season though, I'll be eating green chili wraps with farm-fresh roasted chiles, sour cream, onion and tomato.  Hard to beat people watching with a fresh green chili wrap!  cheers, j

• Assistant Brewer
  • Boring, Oregon
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 12:54:23 pm »
in another lifetime, long years ago, I lived in Eugene (and also on the coast in Waldport) and used to do both the Eugene & Portland Saturday Markets. this was back in the 70s-80's when I was a young hippie craftsman (first leatherwork, then pottery). great times, good memories. sad to hear that the Portland market has become a junk sale, but great to hear the Eugene market has continued to stay true to handcrafted only. here in Gainesville, FL we have a couple of good farmers markets but nothing like the Saturday Market in Eugene.

I love Waldport!  We are looking at properties there now.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 12:56:58 pm »
The Redmond farmer's market is pretty good, and they usually have some master gardener's from Seattle tilth on hand to answer questions.  Very cool.  Fresh fish, oysters, honey, herbs, veggies, fruit . . . great stuff.  There are some craft people and artists, but I mostly blow by them.  I'm there for the food.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 01:25:59 pm »
Market season is here. We're all excited to head down the the Eugene (OR) Saturday Market tomorrow.  I live outside of Portland, OR which does have a big Saturday Market (it's also open on Sunday).  While the Portland market is big, and well attended, it's also somewhat of a junk sale- lots of cheap imported junk.  There's also some cool local stuff, but the vibe just isn't there for me.  Anymore, I rarely go.

On the other hand, the Eugene Saturday Market is limited to only handcrafted items, including the food.  It's a vibrant scene with a substantial farmers market (pretty much all organic), great food and some pretty cool handcrafted items.  I'm ready to dig into my first Ritta's Burrito of the season.  I know you guys like tacos, but Ritta's is better  ;D  Oh yeah- the people watching is pretty cool too.  I may have to buy the kids another joke book from Frog (it will depend on when he had his last bath)

I was never a fan of the Portland Saturday Market. The farmer's market at the South Blocks on Saturday was pretty awesome though.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 01:34:15 pm »
Just so happens mine is the Eugene Saturday Market, too!  Although I admit that after so many years I've kinda burned out on it and usually don't go unless I want something specific from it.  OTOH, I'm at the Farmer's Market across the street nearly every Saturday getting food and ideas.

I may have to buy the kids another joke book from Frog (it will depend on when he had his last bath)

I believe it was 1987.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

• Assistant Brewer
  • Boring, Oregon
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 02:31:50 pm »
Just so happens mine is the Eugene Saturday Market, too!  Although I admit that after so many years I've kinda burned out on it and usually don't go unless I want something specific from it.  OTOH, I'm at the Farmer's Market across the street nearly every Saturday getting food and ideas.

I may have to buy the kids another joke book from Frog (it will depend on when he had his last bath)

I believe it was 1987.

You nailed it on Frog's last bath.  You gotta give him credit though, he's always out there selling his cheesey joke books and spewing his dialogue.  I'm happy to give him a few bucks and be entertained at the same time.  My kids just stare, but also laugh at his jokes.

I consider the whole thing (Sat market and farmers market) one big affair- they're all right there.  We moved out of Eugene about 7 years ago, but visit the market several times a year.  While I see a lot of disfunction in Eugene, the Saturday Market is fantastic and really hits at the spirit of the community.  It seems like multigenerational drug use has really brought the community down.  Sadly, I really see it at the Oregon Country Fair.

Why did the hippy move to Eugene?

Because he heard there were no jobs.........................rimshot

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 03:28:14 pm »
Why did the hippy move to Eugene?

Because he heard there were no jobs.........................rimshot

Always a classic!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 02:41:48 pm »
Farmers' markets are a year-round part of life here.  This is an agricultural island to da max.

Funny thing - we call them "swap meets."

On the mainland swap meets were where you went to find used motorcycle parts.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907