Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Falconers Flight Hops  (Read 17169 times)

Offline abraxas

• Assistant Brewer
Falconers Flight Hops
« on: April 16, 2011, 04:24:36 am »
So I ended up with about 10 oz of Falconers Flight hops blend recently.  Now that I am looking at brewing with them I am learning that they are a blend of hops including Citra (along with Simcoe and Sirachi Ace and some experimental varieties).

Typically it doesn't take much Citra before a beer taste "catty" to me.  Can anybody whose brewed with them tell me if Citra is in a notable makeup?  I'd rather give them to a friend that loves Citra then use a brew day towards something I'm probably not going to want to drink.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Falconers Flight Hops
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 06:29:18 am »
I am not a huge citra fan but have found them to work when blended well. The FF is definitely blended well. I think you will really enjoy the end product. It is a little fruity, however.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 09:06:08 am »
I just tapped a keg of IPA yesterday that uses FF for both FWH and dry hopping.  I'm not a huge Citra fan, either, but I found the blend is perfectly balanced to give you that classic PNW hop flavor and aroma.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline timberati

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norm
    • Batch-22
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 09:30:15 am »
Since I love Citra--with its hop bomb grapefruit aroma--I'll have to give FF a try.
Cervesariis Feliciter
Batch-22 http://52beers.wordpress.com/
Twitter: timberati

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 09:35:45 am »
Since I love Citra--with its hop bomb grapefruit aroma--I'll have to give FF a try.

Interesting that you get grapefruit from Citra.  To me they're very "tropical", like mango or passion fruit.  Interesting how different people sense the same thing differently.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline timberati

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norm
    • Batch-22
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 09:58:53 am »
Interesting that you get grapefruit from Citra.  To me they're very "tropical", like mango or passion fruit.  Interesting how different people sense the same thing differently.
You are very right about our tasting the same things differently. I can see the mango/passion fruit quality. I'm still learning to calibrate my tasting skills. I pick up the citrus is in the aroma more than the taste. (While others apparently pick up cat urine--yuck)

Part of likes/dislikes is hormonal. When my (then) wife gave birth to our first child, her food likes/dislikes changed. Her hormones had changed due to pregnancy and that changed her tastes. And part of the difference may be aging.  I just turned 60 and my taste buds aren't what they used to be  :-[. They need more intensity in flavor than they used to. That change has made it even more imperative that I not drink bland beer. For me, supposedly bitter IPAs taste sweet to me.
Cervesariis Feliciter

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 10:19:58 am »
Interesting, FF is a blend? Is it a proprietary kind of thing or like a public domain recipe that folks use? I've never seen it locally and had just assumed it was a hybrid cultivar. Sounds delicious.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 10:29:39 am »
Interesting, FF is a blend? Is it a proprietary kind of thing or like a public domain recipe that folks use? I've never seen it locally and had just assumed it was a hybrid cultivar. Sounds delicious.

yeah, it's a blend of (IIRC) Citra, Simcoe, Amarillo, Chinook, Cascade, and Centennial.  I could be wrong about the exact blend but you get the idea.  It was made and is marketed by Hop Union to honor Glen Falconer, a PNW commercial brewer and member of my club.  He was the first guy who taught me to judge beer.

http://beervana.blogspot.com/2010/12/falconers-flight-and-pellet-blends.html

http://www.probrewer.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19667

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 12:32:19 pm »
I have a IPA that I used only this hop in. I'm tempted to go take a gravity reading so I can get a real taste of them. It's about time to dry hop it.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 03:52:21 pm »

Have to say, I don't get grapefruit from Citra at all. Big time "mango tea" for me.

Offline timberati

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norm
    • Batch-22
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 06:08:35 pm »

Interesting that you get grapefruit from Citra.  To me they're very "tropical", like mango or passion fruit.  Interesting how different people sense the same thing differently.

Have to say, I don't get grapefruit from Citra at all. Big time "mango tea" for me.
Here's what MoreBeer says about Citra: "Citrus, apricot, and overall melon aromas."

<Edit> But, you're right about what it is for you. We all perceive taste somewhat differently. I picked up a description from elsewhere attributing just about everything to Citra: floral, citrusy tropical fruit/lichi fruit aroma and flavor; and one of the key hops in Sierra Nevada Torpedo.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 06:42:17 pm by timberati »
Cervesariis Feliciter

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 06:46:25 pm »
Sorry, didn't mean people didn't get "citrus" character from the hop. Just saying it it tastes like mango tea to me - not grape fruit.

Offline timberati

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norm
    • Batch-22
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 08:04:12 pm »
Sorry, didn't mean people didn't get "citrus" character from the hop. Just saying it it tastes like mango tea to me - not grape fruit.
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to imply that either. Taste is, by its nature, subjective.
Cervesariis Feliciter

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 11:15:07 pm »
In order to end this whole ordeal, yins can send me the balance of the FF hops that you have.  No sense in everyone arguing about them.  I'll brew with them and everyone can sleep easier at this point.  I'll pay for the shipping and all will be well. 

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 06:55:20 am »
In order to end this whole ordeal, yins can send me the balance of the FF hops that you have.  No sense in everyone arguing about them.  I'll brew with them and everyone can sleep easier at this point.  I'll pay for the shipping and all will be well. 
And you're going to be shipping full corney kegs back out to everyone once it's brewed, right?  ;)
Mark Gres