Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Can a brother get a BJCP exam?  (Read 4929 times)

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
Re: Can a brother get a BJCP exam?
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 08:44:08 am »
Just got an e-mail from the guy doing one in October, 2012; the last one listed for Florida on the BJCP scheduled exams page...'already over the limit'. :-\

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 09:07:20 am »
Just got an e-mail from the guy doing one in October, 2012; the last one listed for Florida on the BJCP scheduled exams page...'already over the limit'. :-\

Sounds like getting on the shortest waiting list you can find is your best bet, but at the same time I also recommend trying to secure a spot.
Ron Price

Offline bfogt

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2011, 09:44:42 am »
I'm glad to hear that something is officially happening to get the entry test in place.  I think a lot of frustration comes from thinking that this logjam is going to be in place for the foreseeable future.

Good luck to everyone trying to get into the exam for the first time. 

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2011, 03:02:59 pm »
Sounds like there should be no shortage of judges in the future.....
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2011, 02:43:09 am »
I've been trying to get into a BJCP exam for over a year now. 

The big bottleneck is the lack of graders. That's why there's a limit on the number of tests that can be offered each month. You have to be a National or better judge (meaning only about 10% of the judges out there qualify) and, currently, grading is a time-consuming process that burns out lots of people.

It's been my experience that it takes at least a year to get on the schedule, sometimes more. You're actually doing pretty well to get an exam slot 18 months out. Other people have given good advice about getting on a waiting list.

I'll add that you don't need to be a BJCP-ranked judge in order to judge, and that you should probably get some judging experience before you take the exam. Contact your friendly local homebrew club, tell them that you're interested in judging and ask what resources they have to help you. There are online sources which can help you prep for the exam, but it really helps if you can judge beer with experienced judges. If you're really serious, start a BJCP study session/training class with other folks who are interested in becoming judges.

Also, don't let yourself get stuck in the cellar at your next competition (although a good cellarman is a blessing when running a big competition). If you can't judge, at least steward. That way you can see how judges work. If the judges are on their game, they'll also let you drink with them and might use the session as a tutoring session.