Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Banned!  (Read 25630 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Banned!
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2009, 03:54:53 pm »
*sigh* Will I ever win? Will I ever fit in?

You don't really want an answer, do ya??   ;D
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2009, 03:55:53 pm »
I would feel threatened and less confident with that for comparison, but at least Brad Pitt doesn't have my awesome beer powered belly!
I'll put mine up against yours anytime ;)

Insert your own gay joke here.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2009, 03:56:06 pm »

I'll put mine up against yours anytime ;)

Sick. But anyway since bonjour takes his belly to the office, can he post a pic of his belly?
I missed the original avatar in question - how can such a small pic contain enough pixels to be offensive? (just wondering aloud)

-OCD
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2009, 04:14:53 pm »
I missed the original avatar in question - how can such a small pic contain enough pixels to be offensive? (just wondering aloud)

The trick is this: This forum is supposed to be the public face of the AHA and all of our members. We want to maintain an open and inviting environment to everyone and a part of that means keeping it from turning into "boyzone". While the hobby is largely comprised of 30-50 year old married men with a college degree, we have large swaths of the population that don't fall into that group and it's currently changing at a rapid rate. (Seriously, we're heading towards a youth skew that makes me feel old)

An alternative way of thinking/filtering for those of you who've ever met the AHA staff, would you say the things you post or show in front of Kate, Janis, Jill Lindsey, Erin or any of the 16 women who make up the AHA/BA's 31 staffers?

We're really just getting started here and are feeling our way out on where the balance lies. This is a first of what I hope will be many pathways that allows the membership to contribute to and shape what the perception of the AHA is to the world. I guarantee you there will be missteps along the way, but for now we're erring on the side of caution towards ensuring we meet our goals.

Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline zee

• Cellarman
    • masholes.org
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2009, 04:22:47 pm »
This forum is supposed to be the public face of the AHA and all of our members. We want to maintain an open and inviting environment to everyone . . .

you might want to look into changing your avatar then, drew.  ba-zing! ;D

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2009, 04:25:05 pm »

Damn, what is it with today and my pride/ego taking shots? :)

Sad part is... that's about the best damn picture of me out there. I can't help it if I make Jojo the Dog Faced Boy look pretty.
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2009, 04:27:53 pm »

Sad part is... that's about the best damn picture of me out there. I can't help it if I make Jojo the Dog Faced Boy look pretty.

If it makes ya feel any better, you don't make him look _that_ good.  ;)

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline SwashBuckling Drunk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Boring, Oregon
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2009, 04:54:56 pm »

An alternative way of thinking/filtering for those of you who've ever met the AHA staff, would you say the things you post or show in front of Kate, Janis, Jill Lindsey, Erin or any of the 16 women who make up the AHA/BA's 31 staffers?

We're really just getting started here and are feeling our way out on where the balance lies. This is a first of what I hope will be many pathways that allows the membership to contribute to and shape what the perception of the AHA is to the world. I guarantee you there will be missteps along the way, but for now we're erring on the side of caution towards ensuring we meet our goals.

This should be easily accomplished.  It's usually a misfit, or two, that show up and stir up trouble.  Discussion forums generally behave as well as they are moderated.  This site is shaping up to have a great membership that should give the mods minimal trouble.  I'm seeing great brewers on here that I haven't encountered in years.  I truly believe that keeping politics off the board really minimizes the trouble.  I refuse to participate in any boards that allow any political discussions (even in a political section).  It sure seems like you're off to an incredible start.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2009, 05:12:22 pm »
This should be easily accomplished.  It's usually a misfit, or two, that show up and stir up trouble.  Discussion forums generally behave as well as they are moderated.  This site is shaping up to have a great membership that should give the mods minimal trouble.  I'm seeing great brewers on here that I haven't encountered in years.  I truly believe that keeping politics off the board really minimizes the trouble.  I refuse to participate in any boards that allow any political discussions (even in a political section).  It sure seems like you're off to an incredible start.

Can I adopt you?   ;)

Seriously, thank you for your comments.  You've summed up what the philosophy of the mods is, and what the AHA is trying to accomplish with this board.  With the help of the users of this forum, we'll do our best to make sure this is the premiere homebrewing site on the internet.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2009, 05:39:38 pm »
While the hobby is largely comprised of 30-50 year old married men with a college degree, we have large swaths of the population that don't fall into that group and it's currently changing at a rapid rate. (Seriously, we're heading towards a youth skew that makes me feel old)

Another board had a poll recently - I knew there were some old guys on the board. Didn't really realize I was one of em until the bar graph showed the poll results. As far as the bell curve went - I was definitely over the hill.

-OCD
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2009, 05:45:39 pm »
Another board had a poll recently - I knew there were some old guys on the board. Didn't really realize I was one of em until the bar graph showed the poll results. As far as the bell curve went - I was definitely over the hill.

Its only going to get worse (aka better). I look forward to a younger crowd and their ideas, but they better respect their elders! (Says the 35 year old)

Seriously, looking at the crowd at the AHA conference since my first in 2001, the shift if very apparent and has been accelerating ever since the Denver Conference.
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2009, 07:05:31 pm »
Can someone pass the popcorn please?  8)
Ron Price

Offline zee

• Cellarman
    • masholes.org
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2009, 10:38:07 pm »

actually in that picture you totally look like david zayas. [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0953882/]

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2009, 11:24:51 pm »

actually in that picture you totally look like david zayas. [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0953882/]

Or Kevin Smith...(a.k.a. Silent Bob)
Ruben * Colorado :)

narvin

« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2009, 11:31:04 pm »
Looks like Achy Breaky Heart-era Billy Ray Cyrus to me.  Did you ever have a mullet? ;)

« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 11:37:49 pm by narvin »