Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 40qt kettle as mash tun  (Read 2087 times)

chargerssb

40qt kettle as mash tun
« on: May 25, 2011, 01:38:23 pm »
Hello,

I have a 40qt stainless steel kettle that I was thinking of using as a direct fire mash tun.  How well would this work?  What is the most amount of grain/highest gravity I would be able to fit in this?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: 40qt kettle as mash tun
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 02:59:02 pm »
If you;\'re using it for a mash tun, I assume you'll put a false bottom in it.  That will eat up some space.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewinSB

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 03:06:50 pm »
Yes I would be or a bazooka tube...? Maybe I'm better off just doing single infusion in a cooler for now

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 03:10:18 pm »
Yes I would be or a bazooka tube...? Maybe I'm better off just doing single infusion in a cooler for now

Well, that's what I'd say.  I guess I "assumed" that the purpose of using a kettle is to be able apply heat to it.  You'd stand less chance of scorching your mash if there was liquid beneath a false bottom keeping the heat away from the grain.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 03:18:30 pm »
A 40qt pot with a false bottom should be able to safely accomodate 15 lbs of grain at water to grain ration of 1.5:1. You may be able to get 20lbs but you'll have to lower your ratio to 1:1. Assuming 75% Brewhouse efficiency, 15lbs of grain will yield roughly 5 gallons of 1.075 beer give or take depending on your efficiency.
Ron Price

Offline BrewinSB

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 06:28:19 pm »
My intentions were to allow me to apply heat if I missed my temp. However I havent even done an all grain batch yet. My next batch will be my first all grain and I am trying to figure out my equipment setup.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 06:31:17 pm by chargerssb »

Offline BrewinSB

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 09:39:04 pm »
Okay, so after doing some research on what it would end up costing me to make the kettle work as a good mash tun, I decided to just go the cooler route.  I got a 52 qt Coleman Xtreme for $32.  Now I just need to get a ball valve that will fit in where the spigot is and a bazooka tube or something.  Does anyone know what ball valve/barb setup works with this cooler?

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 07:07:01 am »
Here's a couple resources you can use as inspiration: http://brewing.lustreking.com/gear/mashtun.html and http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/
Mark Gres

Offline BrewinSB

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 09:59:33 am »
Thanks Mark. I found that first link soon after I posted. i'll take a look at that other one too. Going to try and make a trip to home depot today