Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Computer uber geek needed!  (Read 6106 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Computer uber geek needed!
« on: December 16, 2009, 11:48:23 am »
As many years as I've been a computer geek, I have never had a problem stump me like this one. I'm having a continuing problem trying to play 44.1k audio files. It started a few months back, went away, and is back again.  The computer is a Toshiba laptop, several years old, with the standard built in Realtek audio hardware.  After a lot of screwing around at that time and many driver installs, I found that it may have had something to do playing a Flash video. After playing one, my computer would lock up when trying to play a 44.k audio file in any format on any piece of audio software I have installed. I was able to get it to work again by deleting my audio hardware in device manager (Win XP, current SP), rebooting, then letting it reinstall itself. Well, that trick no longer works and I'm frustrated. I'm at the point where I'd even pay to have somebody fix this. Does anyone know of any super geek forums where I could go and spill my woes?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
Re: Computer uber geek needed!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 11:59:27 am »
try superuser.com
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 12:26:25 pm »
You could also try running dxdiag (type dxdiag at the command prompt)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/190900

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 12:32:19 pm »
Also, try going to microsoft with your question
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itproxpsp/threads

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 12:38:06 pm »
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 12:57:41 pm »

Wow, what a cool tool!  Unfortunately, all the sounds it played for the test were 22k, and I know that works.

Thanks for all the tips, everybody....keep 'em coming!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 01:13:16 pm »

Wow, what a cool tool!  Unfortunately, all the sounds it played for the test were 22k, and I know that works.

Thanks for all the tips, everybody....keep 'em coming!

Try moving the "hardware sound acceleration level" back a notch or two.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 01:41:09 pm »
"It started a few months back, went away, and is back again."

If you know the window between the last time you know it worked well and the first time it recurred, I'd suggest spending some time poring through the Application and System logs in Event Viewer (under Computer Management, right click My Computer and hit Manage).  Perhaps some installation or configuration change will be listed there that has caused the issue. 

It's a long shot, but hey.  I'd also try reinstalling audio card drivers for grins. 

Oh, you might try System Restore...if its been on and working you can go back to a System Restore point when it was working and then bingo, problem solved, hopefully.  Saved my bacon more than once.

Lastly, the nuclear option...back up and reimage the machine with factory discs.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 01:44:13 pm »
I'm happy to report that it's working again now!  I'm not happy to report that I really don't know why, other than I must have scared it silly by posting questions in half a dozen forums!  Thanks for all the suggestions....for all I know, tomorrow I may be troubleshooting this again!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 03:55:22 pm »
Damn...I'm such an optimist.  I changed the output mapping on one of my pro audio apps and it works fine there.  Otherwise, no change.  I just went to Pandora and it locks up tight without playing....

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 03:58:52 pm »
That's cause you let it know you were happy. Damn newb users! First mistake.. never let the computer know how you're feeling! :)

I know it will be hard, but what happened in the immediate time that this error first cropped up?
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com / ExperimentalBrew.com
-----
Burbling:
Falconsclaws Helles

Tap:
CDJK Mild
Earl Grey Saison
Clam Chowdah Saison
I Dream of Jenny

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 04:03:22 pm »
That's cause you let it know you were happy. Damn newb users! First mistake.. never let the computer know how you're feeling! :)

I ain't no newb, dood, I just got carried away.  I've been working on 'puters since you were a gleam in your father's eye!  ;)

I know it will be hard, but what happened in the immediate time that this error first cropped up?

I've racked what's left of my brain over that and so far, nothing comes to mind.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 04:53:46 pm »
I've racked what's left of my brain over that and so far, nothing comes to mind.

Be sure not to introduce too much aeration during racking!

Offline dirtyjerzey

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 05:54:56 pm »
Denny,

Not sure, but I 'think' what I suggested last time fixed it (unfortunately I'm pretty sure that thread was lost in Brewhahaneverneverland)

Try right-clicking My Computer and going to Manage....then Device Manager....then try uninstalling the audio device totally (right-click Uninstall)...reboot...then reinstall the drivers again....

Could be a different issue this time, but it's worth a shot.....

"Life's short and hard, like a body building elf..." - BHG

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 07:30:29 pm »
+1 Try the un-install / Re-install. But, before you un-install, start up in safe mode. To do this, as so soon as you turn your computer on, start tapping the F8 key. It will bring you to a screen that gives you an option to stat in safe mode. Start up that way, then go into device manager, and uninstall. I seem to have better success by doing it this way when I need to unistall something.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.