Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast for an IPA  (Read 16858 times)

Offline timberati

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norm
    • Batch-22
Yeast for an IPA
« on: April 30, 2011, 04:21:05 pm »
I was looking through the generic recipes in Stephen Snyder's The Brewmaster's Bible (copyright 1997). For India Pale Ales he recommended Wyeast's 2565 or 1007. Wyeast lists these as Kölsch and  German Ale respectively.

I've been using Safale 05, American Ale. Am I using the wrong yeast?
Cervesariis Feliciter
Batch-22 http://52beers.wordpress.com/
Twitter: timberati

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
Re: Yeast for an IPA
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 04:31:55 pm »
Safale 05 is a good yeast for an IPA, but if you're curious, try using the other ones you listed. Experiment with it.  You could also try Wyeast 1028 London Ale, 1318 London Ale III, or 1968 ESB.  Homebrewing is about doing it your way, and if you're happy with your results, don't worry about what some book tells you that you should be using.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 04:38:51 pm by theantipunk »
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 06:09:23 pm »
For an American IPA, I like Wyeast 1272.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline timberati

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norm
    • Batch-22
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 08:33:22 am »
Safale 05 is a good yeast for an IPA, but if you're curious, try using the other ones you listed. Experiment with it.  You could also try Wyeast 1028 London Ale, 1318 London Ale III, or 1968 ESB.  Homebrewing is about doing it your way, and if you're happy with your results, don't worry about what some book tells you that you should be using.
Thanks for the advice. I agree. After all, at the end of the brewing day, we get beer.  :)  And, I have made some outstanding IPAs with 05. Yet, I would like to start with something close to the IPA BJCP standard profile before blazing my own trail; rather like jazz and knowing the song note for note before riffing.

If you brew American IPA, what yeast do you use?
Cervesariis Feliciter

Offline timberati

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norm
    • Batch-22
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 08:37:03 am »
For an American IPA, I like Wyeast 1272.
I'm going to try that next time.

This is my latest batch:

It's not quite as good as the batch you tasted, but darn good just the same.
Cervesariis Feliciter

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 08:55:10 am »
I like WLP007 for most of my ales, expecially my IPAs.  Reportedly it is very similar to the strain Stone uses.  You get all of the goodness of Chico: high attenuation, with all of the goodness of english strains: fruity esters and flocculation.

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 09:04:58 am »
I like WLP007 for most of my ales, expecially my IPAs.  Reportedly it is very similar to the strain Stone uses.  You get all of the goodness of Chico: high attenuation, with all of the goodness of english strains: fruity esters and flocculation.
I've had a lot of success with WLP007 too. If you ferment in the low to mid 60's, you can minimize the esters, unless of course, you're looking for them.
Mark Gres

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 09:13:08 am »
I was looking through the generic recipes in Stephen Snyder's The Brewmaster's Bible (copyright 1997). For India Pale Ales he recommended Wyeast's 2565 or 1007. Wyeast lists these as Kölsch and  German Ale respectively.

No, you're reading the wrong book IMO.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 09:14:06 am »

WY1450, WY1272, WY1056, US-05 for me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline timberati

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norm
    • Batch-22
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 11:51:03 am »

:D
Cervesariis Feliciter

Offline timberati

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norm
    • Batch-22
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 11:55:07 am »
Man, I'm going to have a lot of IPA to drink. Come on over!  ;D
Cervesariis Feliciter

Offline timberati

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norm
    • Batch-22
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 11:59:41 am »

WY1450, WY1272, WY1056, US-05 for me.
I gotta try 1450. After all, it's not your favorite for nothing.
Cervesariis Feliciter

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 10:09:52 pm »
I LOVE US-05. In an IPA, I want the the hops to shine. Personally, I don't want to have to be concerned with what my yeast left behind. I just want hop flavor, and a touch of malt. US-05 is oerfect for this.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline hopvine

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 04:30:22 am »
Can anyone report on how the 1007 (German Ale) yeast is in an IPA?  This is an intriguing strain to me, because it's tolerant of fermentation temperatures down to 55F.  I've always wondered what a cold-fermented IPA would taste like, and whether or not it would retain more of it's hop flavor during the fermentation process.  However, the 1007 kicks up a lot of acetaldehyde which can hang around in the beer for a while, so I would hate to have to secondary an IPA for any longer than necessary.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 09:56:02 pm »

LOL. :D
There is a wide variety of strains suitable for IPA  and even then, it's a matter of personal preference anyway.   I say try 'em all and see which one suits you.  Split batches could speed up the assessment process.

My current favorite is ECY Old Newark, but over the last 2 decades I've made IPA with the various iterations of the "Chico" yeast as well as Whitbread,  the Guinness strain, WY1968,  a few German strains, and of course (mostly) my "god-knows-what-it-is"  house strain.

Point is, they all worked,  they all made great IPA, and I found in the end that the differences are really not even all that extreme (at least in my IPA).
Anyway, as far as I'm concerned there is no wrong choice if you like the end result.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971