Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Denny Conn's BVIP (pic)+(more pics added)  (Read 9239 times)

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
Denny Conn's BVIP (pic)+(more pics added)
« on: May 07, 2011, 10:48:56 pm »
Nice to hit all the numbers. Thank you for putting that recipe in the brewopedia.
Thanks to Johnplctech for his mashwater software. Could NOT hit the numbers without that.
I am soaking oak spirals in my Bourbon via a vac pack baggie waiting for secondary
transfer....anyhow was a pleasant brew day and the O.G. is spot on   ;D

Using some Fresh Mex Vanilla beans from beanilla......can't wait to add em to the mix...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 07:50:38 am by 1vertical »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
Re: Denny Conn's BVIP (pic)
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 10:23:09 am »
Very nice.  Enjoy!  This beer is one of my regulars.  Always good.  Tip o' the hat to Mr. Conn.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 10:32:18 am »
Hey Dave...is the first time you've had the chance to try this recipe?

If so...I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. It's a winner for sure. I just kicked a keg of this fine beer last weekend. I need to make more.
Ron Price

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 10:58:57 am »
Yes Ron, it is indeed the BVIP maiden voyage for me. Got high hopes for a good thing. ;D

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 11:39:33 am »
Glad ya ll like it!  The porter by itself makes a great beer alone or as a base for other flavors, too.  A friend made a killer coffee porter using the base porter recipe.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 10:53:24 pm »
Glad ya ll like it!  The porter by itself makes a great beer alone or as a base for other flavors, too.  A friend made a killer coffee porter using the base porter recipe.

+1  I brew a 10-gallon batch to yield 5 of BVIP and 5 of the porter.  It's interesting to try two different yeasts, too.  Lat time I used US-05 for the porter and WY1272 for the BVIP.  The porter finished a little drier, and the BVIP had a nice rich backbone to support the bourbon and vanilla.
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 02:17:50 pm »
Ok here is a shot of the Bourbon I am gonna use in this beer
BEFORE the Oak spirals which are Med+ American Oak.

And here is the same Bourbon In a vac pack bag with 2 Oak spirals
after 2 weeks notice the amount of tannins infused into the Bourbon as
reflected in the VERY dark Color.

When the time comes to put the Bourbon and Vanilla Beans in Secondary, I will sample the liquid in the
spiral bag and try to guage the level of oak....I may or may not add any of that strong liquid...dunno....
However, It will NOT goto waste.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 02:19:48 pm by 1vertical »

Offline cash

• 1st Kit
Re: Denny Conn's BVIP (pic)+(more pics added)
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 01:38:47 pm »
love this recipe. Do you notice a gradual decrease in the vanilla taste upon aging? I have a  few bottles about 10 mos old and there seems to be a slightly more bourbon note than originally noted, the vanilla is very subdued. Do I need more vanilla next time or less bourbon

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 01:40:53 pm »
Yeah, the vanilla is the first thing to fade.  I don't really like aging this beer.  I think it's best maybe 6 weeks-2 months after brewing.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 04:35:19 pm »
Denny, I know you said you are not big on the Oak.  I am including it to try to accentuate
the vanilla that the oak should impart and hope that this aspect of flavor helps the vanilla hang in there....
that was my thought process when I added those spirals....I am ageing it another month and a half-ish
before the big sample day.

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 11:01:05 am »
Does anyone use a hop bag and leave the vanilla bean in the keg or cask to keep the vanilla flavor and aroma levels up?  Unless I"m throwing a party, it is hard to drain a keg in a short period of time.

Offline darren

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 09:11:07 pm »
Question for everyone here--how intense is the vanilla in this recipe?  I know it's tough to quantify, but think of a very oaky American Chardonnay--would the vanilla flavor be more or less intense?

Thanks,

Darren

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 09:16:45 am »
Question for everyone here--how intense is the vanilla in this recipe?  I know it's tough to quantify, but think of a very oaky American Chardonnay--would the vanilla flavor be more or less intense?

Thanks,

Darren

It's supposed to be less intense.  This is beer, and both the bourbon and the vanilla should be supporting flavors, not the majority of the flavor.  If you drink the beer and go "wow, bourbon (or vanilla)!", then you've used too much.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 10:52:17 am »
Agreed Denny.

I think this beer is well balanced. The Imperial Porter is the star yet the bourbon and vanilla play a very supportive role in the finish. The vanilla comes through much stronger when the beer is young then fades as the beer ages and begins to oxidize.
Ron Price

Offline darren

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 04:59:28 pm »
Thanks Denny!  If I decide to add oak, do you think I should I back off the vanilla? I'm looking for exactly what you're describing--a background flavor, not a vanilla-flavored beer.