Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: yeast rolls and potato bread hamburger buns  (Read 2802 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
yeast rolls and potato bread hamburger buns
« on: May 18, 2011, 01:32:46 am »
I'm going to try the Alton Brown method for yeast rolls (although in the ep he does the Parker House fold and I'm not a fan) but does anybody have any other go-to recipes for those?

Also I haven't had luck trying to replicate Martin's Potato Rolls. Mine always end up wayyy too dense - here's the recipe I'm using - http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/potato-bread-iii/Detail.aspx
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
Re: yeast rolls and potato bread hamburger buns
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 08:49:56 am »
For softer style rolls, I've found that a  wetter dough, an adequate amount of shortening or oil in the mix, and using the highest gluten flour you can get  helps a lot.   Sometimes a touch of milk can help the texture as well if you're going for a softer bread or roll.   
You also need to pay attention to the rise times; too little makes for a dense bread, and too long will "blow out" the dough.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

jaybeerman

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 02:31:04 pm »
I'm going to try the Alton Brown method for yeast rolls (although in the ep he does the Parker House fold and I'm not a fan) but does anybody have any other go-to recipes for those?

Also I haven't had luck trying to replicate Martin's Potato Rolls. Mine always end up wayyy too dense - here's the recipe I'm using - http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/potato-bread-iii/Detail.aspx

Good to hear that you've started trying to make your own.  Your initial post in the hamburger thread was awesome and it made me bummed out to hear that you had to put that burger-perfection on a mcdonalds bun.  I've tried many times to make good potato rolls with no real luck. The meat market that I buy from has great potato rolls and now I'm too spoiled to make my own.  Good luck though.   

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 03:30:25 am »

Good to hear that you've started trying to make your own.  Your initial post in the hamburger thread was awesome and it made me bummed out to hear that you had to put that burger-perfection on a mcdonalds bun.  I've tried many times to make good potato rolls with no real luck. The meat market that I buy from has great potato rolls and now I'm too spoiled to make my own.  Good luck though.   

Hey, McDonald's buns are good, what can I say. Although I've recently discovered some grocery store buns that aren't made with Palm oil, and have zero trans fats. Still going to try to make my own, but I'm glad to have found something easier to procure.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!